Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2022, 11:14 PM   #1

Asking the experts!

First of all, thanks in advance to anyone for your advice and help with this. My family and I have been looking at travel trailers for a few months, and finally settled on the Jayco Eagle HT 284BHOK. However, I understand it is NOT a good idea to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. We originally thought it would be ok since it is under all the maximum weights for the truck, but I take the word of owners with experience over that of the dealership.

So I need your help please. We'd like to stay with the Jayco brand, but need your suggestion on what model would be a good alternative to the Eagle HT 284BHOK. Looking for something as similar as possible, bunkhouse style, U-shaped dinette, recliners (if possible) and with great build quality and features, but with a comfortable weight and/or towability.

Our tow vehicle is a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, 3.92 gears, 5.7L V8 with eTorque. We also have an E4 Equalizer. Ram's towing guide says the max towing weight is 11,310 Lbs and 1,780 Lbs max payload.

Thank you so much. Just when we thought we finally had the one, it's back to the drawing board. Really appreciate any help you can provide.
Flyingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #2

I'm no expert and haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express. Here's a link to Ram 1500 towing capacity
Old 10-24-2022, 06:30 AM   #3

You're definitely under the max for your truck, I see no problems based on the link us71na posted.

Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 1,040
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7,940
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,055
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 9,995

and..
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #4

I have this same trailer and love it. I tow it with a 2021 Chevy 2500 6.6 gas and it handles perfectly. I’d be hesitant to tow with a half ton but if it’s rated appropriately, it should be fine! I only say that because of the size of the trailer and navigating hills. New half ton trucks today are much better than the half ton I had ten years ago.
Bhdsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far.

While the numbers all fall below the specs for the truck, several people on here have said they do not think this should be marketed as a half-ton towable trailer, as it is too heavy and behaves as such. Now I don't know what the tow vehicle was for them or if that was recent, but the reviews for this trailer (as they relate to half ton trucks) concerns me. So I thought I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations for a Jayco trailer which has the same features (mostly) but is much lighter.
Flyingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdude View Post

While the numbers all fall below the specs for the truck, several people on here have said they do not think this should be marketed as a half-ton towable trailer, as it is too heavy and behaves as such. Now I don't know what the tow vehicle was for them or if that was recent, but the reviews for this trailer (as they relate to half ton trucks) concerns me. So I thought I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations for a Jayco trailer which has the same features (mostly) but is much lighter.
As bhdsfan said, many of those trucks had a much lower tow rating than the one you have. In 2015 a 1500 Dodge Ram was only rated at 4,160 to 8,640 and your 2022 is well over that.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #7

If it is anything like what Ford does, there should be a sticker in the driver's door jam that states maximum conventional trailer.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You're definitely under the max for your truck, I see no problems based on the link us71na posted.

Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 1,040
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7,940
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,055
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 9,995

and..
I would say you are pushing your new TV's limits. On paper in theory it is capable without knowing your family, But when you run the numbers you will be over loaded. Payload weight is, a full tank of fuel and a 150# drive in their calculation, NOTHING else.

Tongue weight on the hitch should be between 10-15% of the GVW of the TT. 13-15% is a much more realistic and comfortable ride.
  • 1500 lbs - 15% tongue weight
  • 75+ lbs - WDH
  • 300 lbs weight of kids and stuff they have in the cab with them
  • 0 lbs - Wife's weight
  • 200 lbs - Husband's weight
  • 400 lbs - weight of stuff in the truck box, bikes, games, cooler, tools, fire wood, dog, etc.

Grand total 2,475 lbs, maybe 700 lbs overweight.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:

Welcome to the forum!

You can't look at manufactures tow ratings when towing a travel trailer. When auto makers list towing weights they don't factor travel trailers into that equation. RV's can result in approximately 15% up to 20% more in towing weight due to the amount of wind drag (depending on the height of the RV). So if you're camper is 10k lbs. you should view it as at least 11,500 lbs. when towing. Factor that in with the 35' length and the 1,000 lbs. of tongue weight (or more) and you can understand why towing this camper with a half ton is discouraged.

The only way I would consider doing this is getting a ProPride or Hensley weight distribution hitch and both hitches are pushing 4 grand. Even then your Ram 1500 will at times feel likes it's floating on the road and stopping quickly could be sketchy.

I think you're on the right track by searching for a smaller trailer you can safely tow with your Ram 1500. I would stay under 32' and below 8K lbs GVWR in terms of camper specs.

Just my thoughts.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... need your suggestion on what model would be a good alternative to the Eagle HT 284BHOK. Looking for something as similar as possible .......... bunkhouse style ........ with a comfortable weight and/or towability.....snip
Flyingdude,

Welcome to JOF

The following alternatives under 'loaded' conditions come to mind for consideration with your 1/2 ton TV:

* 2023 274BH Jay Flight @ 6,500lb GVWR...., IMO ideal weight/length (loaded @ 6,500lb = max tongue weight at 15% = 975lbs)

* 2023 284BHS Jay Flight @ 7,600lb GVWR...., IMO max weight/length to consider (loaded @ 7,600lb = max tongue weight at 15% = 1,140lbs)

Just a thought.......,

Take your TV to a CAT scale and weigh it ($9 & 3 minutes) under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, etc.). Subtract the CAT weight from your TV's GVWR....., the remaining weight is your actual "available payload capacity" for the WDH weight, loaded tongue weight, and any TV item weight not accounted for at the CAT.

Also good to confirm the 'delta' between the CAT rear axle weight and the TV's specified rear GAWR.

May help knowing your TV's actual "available" payload capacity prior to a TT purchase....., keeps the RV sales person in check

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Flyingdude,

This might be another consideration...

* 2023 Jay Flight 267BHS @ 7,100lb GVWR...., IMO ideal weight/length (loaded @ 7,100lb = max tongue weight at 15% = 1,065lbs)

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #12

Another thing to consider, crosswinds. Not as noticeable in a heavier 3/4 or 1ton truck. They are heavier and harder for the tail to wag the dog. A 30 mph wind can impart a lot of force on the side of a big trailer.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
[*]0 lbs - Wife's weight
Jagiven win's the Internet today!!!!!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #14

Sold our 2011 Jayco 33 RLDS Jayflight to a friend of ours. He had the same truck as you. Hoked it up towed it 10 miles towards Tucson, turned it around and went back home unhooked the trailer and went down and traded the 1/2 off for a 34 ton Ram. The trailer was empty and weighed 7225 pounds. Loaded weight was 9950. He told me that the trailer was pushing the 1/2 ton around and it was white knuckle the whole way. He even told me the stickers on the truck proved to him that the truck could handle this trailer. But in real life was not that way.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #15

It may be worthwhile to know your maximum tongue limit of the receiver. Mine (F150) has a sticker stating 1050lbs. That also will certainly limit the size (lbs) of the trailer. Remember the batteries, propane, and fresh water contribute considerably to the tongue load.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #16

Full disclosure, I don’t recommend half tons to pull anything but the smallest 11 foot height camper. Having said that, your travel trailer of choice is quite similar in numbers to what I pulled for over 10 years. I had an F350 diesel dually. I’m not suggesting that’s necessary, it is what I had. Here are the specs for my travel trailer:

Dry Weight
8,115 lbs.
Payload Capacity
2,385 lbs.
GVWR
10,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight
1,215 lbs.

I don’t recall my exact numbers but I will tell you this, the hitch weight was substantially above Jayco‘s stated weight. Yours would be also.

At least once a year and sometimes twice a year we traveled from Albuquerque west to as far as Flagstaff on interstate 40. Crosswinds there were often severe. I can’t imagine trying to pull that camper with a half ton truck, no matter what the manufacturers marketing department said it was capable of towing.

I have to give you high marks for doing your research now, before you make the purchase. Good luck, have fun and safe travels.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:03 PM   #17

Don't have a Dodge, but a friend has a 1/2 and we have pulled his 28' enclosed race trailer with car and tools. Pulls it great, it has a 5.7 , think it's a 2019. I was surprised, I have a 2500HD Chevy with a 6.0 and the Dodge was every bit as good.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
First of all, thanks in advance to anyone for your advice and help with this. My family and I have been looking at travel trailers for a few months, and finally settled on the Jayco Eagle HT 284BHOK. However, I understand it is NOT a good idea to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. We originally thought it would be ok since it is under all the maximum weights for the truck, but I take the word of owners with experience over that of the dealership.

So I need your help please. We'd like to stay with the Jayco brand, but need your suggestion on what model would be a good alternative to the Eagle HT 284BHOK. Looking for something as similar as possible, bunkhouse style, U-shaped dinette, recliners (if possible) and with great build quality and features, but with a comfortable weight and/or towability.

Our tow vehicle is a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, 3.92 gears, 5.7L V8 with eTorque. We also have an E4 Equalizer. Ram's towing guide says the max towing weight is 11,310 Lbs and 1,780 Lbs max payload.

Thank you so much. Just when we thought we finally had the one, it's back to the drawing board. Really appreciate any help you can provide.
Well you certainly have the power plant and gears for the job so with the right weight distribution hitch I'd say it would be a great tow vehicle. I'd be cautious tho' on steep downgrades as the truck is lighter than the 3/4 or 1 ton versions. I'm a Chevy/Ford guy but must admit that the 5.7 Hemi is a great engine and the low rear end gear ratio is a big plus. Hope you got the $'s for the gas. Cheers, Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #19

Post after post after post I see people trying to pull their TT with a 1/2 ton truck.
As I have said in the past, manufacturers may give you guidelines for towing weights but the reality is that the payload may be higher than recommended.
Notice they never mention braking capabilities?
Yes, maybe if you are careful with the trailer load as well as the payload you can keep the numbers good but hill climbing and stopping will always getcha!
I wish you the best of luck finding a jayco that will fit the criteria, that comes close to the one you love!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #20

1/2 ton towable

Yes I have an trailer that was towing with my 1/2 ton truck and was ok to tow according to the specs and the truck towed it ok with a weight distribution hitch adjusted up right .well driving with all the stuff loaded and family I still felt that my half ton was working pretty hard so drove on the weigh scales at a trucking place surprise I was a 1000 pounds over max tow rating
Now I pull it with 2500 series HD truck and well it’s all most like the trailer is not even there when towing awesome
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote