Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #21

I have a hard wired rear view camera that sends the image to a "rear view mirror" that replaced the useless actual rear view mirror. The camera electronics allowed me to reverse the image so that it looks like a real rear view mirror. I would not feel comfortable driving down the highway without it.

I do not have my manufacturer's information handy. I paid about $1,000 to have this installed in 2015. If nothing else, I can see my towed car and tow dolly with this rig. It is nice to know that the tow dolly is still attached. I can sort of use this to back up. But, it is better to have someone as a spotter in a tight camp site.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #22
VKC

I’ve used Furrion in the past and always had good luck with them
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda and John View Post
We have a 29 foot Jayco Whitehawk and tossing around the idea of adding on a wireless rear camera to help guide us when backing into a site. Any brands/models or tips would be appreciated.
Get one! I got one three years ago when we bought our new camper. I love being able to see behind us when traveling down the road and it helps when backing up. We got a Furion, a bit expensive but it works well and worth every penny.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #24

Ford camera

This may only apply for a few folks - just got installed a camera directly from Ford that ties into the video screen in our 2021 F-350. It’s not inexpensive and is wired, so I opted for installation at our Jayco dealer. Tried a couple of off-brand wireless models with poor results plus didn’t like an additional screen to mount and store. Using the automatic backing system and the backup camera has made backing much less stressful - on me and our marriage! 😉
gkalmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalmond View Post
This may only apply for a few folks - just got installed a camera directly from Ford that ties into the video screen in our 2021 F-350. It’s not inexpensive and is wired, so I opted for installation at our Jayco dealer. Tried a couple of off-brand wireless models with poor results plus didn’t like an additional screen to mount and store. Using the automatic backing system and the backup camera has made backing much less stressful - on me and our marriage! 😉
Do you happen to have the Ford part number?
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #26

Hc3j1a515ccsub1
Old 06-04-2022, 01:31 AM   #27

A back-up camera will not help you when you have to watch your trailer tires when you're backing, especially when you back angle into your space. I'm a retired tractor-trailer driver and I've seen many backing mis-haps because people guessed where their trailer was going and did not watch their trailer tires. You do the same thing in a turn. The only difference is, you're using the convex mirror, better known as the "fish-eye" mirror. The camera will show you straight behind you and "not to the sides" of your trailer. I own a 2016 29 REKS Whitehawk. We bought it new. It's great!....Happy camping! I hope this helps!
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #28

A backup/rearview camera was one of my first purchases, it was a well reviewed wireless system on amazon at the time, no longer available now. At night it was near useless, however, a cheap set of LED foglights from wally world did the trick for that. I have mine angled down to see the back of the trailer and sides edges of the bumper. It has been spectacular for backing into sites and our driveway.
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:54 PM   #29

I put a haloview on our 24rbs & its great! Bolted right up to the shark fin mount for less than half the cost of a furrion, & works well! Happy camper!
57gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #30

I'm in the middle of my fist trip with the Haloview rear and side camera system. The rear camera has been VERY helpful. Side cameras are OK, mostly useful for confirming nothing is in your blind spot. The lens is too wide view to be useful for avoiding obstacles getting into or out of sites. So far I would vote 100% install the rear camera, side cams are ok but I'm not sure they were worth the money yet.

Install on my 264 BHW was easy, and I did opt for the camera with a wired repeater. Zero drops even at freeway speeds.
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
X2 for Haloview. I selected one with the antenna that mounts near the front of the camper to ensure there is a strong signal to the monitor.
Where is your camera mounted and how did you run the cable from the camera to the extender/transmitter? I’ve seen a few people mention they ran the cable along the roof line for cameras mounted high.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Where is your camera mounted and how did you run the cable from the camera to the extender/transmitter? I’ve seen a few people mention they ran the cable along the roof line for cameras mounted high.
The camera installed into the standard mount that came on the camper. (see example off Amazon below) Just remove the cover of the shark fin camera mounting bracket. The image below looks like they removed the entire shark fin... I kept mine there. The camera came with a wire that plugged into the wire that was just inside the camper (behind the bracket) and the camera mounted into the shark fin like it was made to go there. I have a new GMC truck so I needed an inline adapter so my truck would properly power it.

There remained one wire that came out of the shark fin that I ran up to the roof. I did silicon the wire's exit from the shark fin and used Adhesive Wire Cable Clips to run the wire down the middle of the roof. I also put a dab of Self-Leveling Lap Sealant on each once I was finished.

I placed the external antenna, as close as possible, before the front air conditioner because I wanted the extra support for it in event a tree limb brushed against it.

Because I got the RD10 model, I only need to swap out the front of my trucks rear view mirror, which isn't usable when towing anyway, for the monitor screen.

Since I use the system for rear view when driving, it's not pointed down but pointed to show the road further back... works great. I plan to paint over the six 'IR Night Vision' transmitters so car headlights don't white out the view at night... there's been no rush since I rarely drive at night, but it's on my to-do's before our next winter vacation.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:11 AM   #33

Rear View Observation Camera

I have 2018, 29RLDS and pulling it with full size F-250. Not long after I bought the trailer I got Furrion S with 5" monitor. Really never been satisfied with it. The video drops going down the road. Used factory wiring on trailer. Seems when there are structures around that reflect the signal, I get a good picture. On interstate with no trees or building the picture drops. Recently reached out to Furrion and their response was replace with a new Furrion. Hard to spend another fortune to a company that has failed me. I see some have had good luck with Furrion. I like to hear what others are using and the good and bad luck you have had. It's nice to have rear view when passing. I relied on the wife when backing in campsite.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:37 AM   #34
VKC

If they didn’t stand behind their product why would they even suggest upgrading to the “new” model. Sorry, mine is a built in unit. I had a Furrion on my last 5th wheel but didn’t use it long.
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:24 AM   #35

Would someone please give a model number or a store link to a camera that you are pleased with? Thanks

One more thing.... it's best not to involve a wife with such serious matters as backing a trailer.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Would someone please give a model number or a store link to a camera that you are pleased with? Thanks

One more thing.... it's best not to involve a wife with such serious matters as backing a trailer.
I finally had enough of my wired camera that was giving me issues and bought a Haloview BT7. It's a $350 USD system but the video is very clear and there little to no lag. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #37
CAG

Quote:

That is a sexist statement if ever I heard one. My wife, being a farm/ranch born and raised girl can back a horse, grain, hay trailer better than any man who just bought his first RV LOL.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #38

Well, I'm proud yours can do all that... mine can't.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #39
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Well, I'm proud yours can do all that... mine can't.
So you lumped all other women in with yours?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:05 PM   #40

My comment was only a joke about my wife backing up a trailer.

Please forgive me if I hurt your feelings in any way sir.