Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Battery charging

We're out on our first trip. We're dry camping for three nights.
Our dual 6v batteries are at 12.3v, according to the solar controller which isn't helping because of the smoke from the Oregon and Washington fires. We have tonight and tomorrow to go.

Without the solar, we have no way to top up the batteries. So that's the first issue.

Secondly, do we need to connect to shore power when we get home to get the batteries back to full charge?

Lastly, do we need to keep recharging over the off season to prevent the batteries from depleting?

Thanks
Grant and Fiona
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

The short answer is yes, you need some method of keeping your batteries topped up. If solar isn't keeping up, you'll need shore power, generator, trickle charger, etc. Otherwise, you'll risk damaging the batteries if you drain them down too low.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

12.3V puts you at about 70%. Just take it easy the next two days. Run the furnace, lights, water pump, and other stuff a little less. Don’t let the voltage drop below 12.0 V.

It’s really inefficient and slow, but you could always hook to your TV to get some charge back on your batteries.

I always remove my battery(ies) from my trailers and keep them in my garage. It’s more climate controlled and I can trickle charge them. If I’m not camping again within 2 weeks, I yank the battery and keep it in my garage. I definitely keep it in my garage during the winter. Batteries are expensive and I try to take care of them as best I can to extend their lives.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice!

Our complication is living in a condo. The only place we can trickle charge at home is on our patio. Not pretty, but also not temperature controlled. At least being in Vancouver we rarely see below freezing weather.
I assume the batteries shouldn't be stored in the cold?
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

I store all my batteries in cold on trickle chargers and haven't had any issues.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #6

Hi Fiona and Grant, fellow North Vancouverite here.

Grab yourself one of these types of maintainers https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...-0111984p.html to keep your batteries in good condition. Not sure where you are storing your trailer, but you can connect this to the battery without having to remove the battery. Just run an extension cord to the trailer and plug the charger in.

The NOCOs come with a post mount for your battery terminals and quick connect so you can keep the rings mounted to your battery and then you just plug in your charger and snap in the quick connect without having to get into your battery box each time. I find this feature really helpful.

Here's a picture of my battery box with the quick connect hanging out asn with the lid off showing where the post mounts are connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Inked20200712_140626_LI.jpg   Inked20200716_200931_LI.jpg  
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #7

You can always charge the batteries with your tow vehicle if it's wired correctly, the center post of the 7-way connector should be battery positive, connect the cable and run your engine at idle for a while.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
Hi Fiona and Grant, fellow North Vancouverite here.

Grab yourself one of these types of maintainers https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...-0111984p.html to keep your batteries in good condition. Not sure where you are storing your trailer, but you can connect this to the battery without having to remove the battery. Just run an extension cord to the trailer and plug the charger in.

The NOCOs come with a post mount for your battery terminals and quick connect so you can keep the rings mounted to your battery and then you just plug in your charger and snap in the quick connect without having to get into your battery box each time. I find this feature really helpful.

Here's a picture of my battery box with the quick connect hanging out asn with the lid off showing where the post mounts are connected.
That's a great idea, thanks. Is that a fuse I see in the bottom left corner?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaGrant View Post
That's a great idea, thanks. Is that a fuse I see in the bottom left corner?
Yes, that is a fuse for my inverter. There is also a fuse for the house power which I inadvertently blew last trip when putting up the powered jack. Had no idea I tripped it and for the life of me couldn't figure out why I had no 12v in the trailer!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #10

When charging dual batteries is it better to have a 2 bank charger so each battery has its own set of hook ups, or a single bank charger that is hooked up to charge both batteries at the same time?

I was looking at l the NOCO Gen2 20A charger that has dual 10A banks so each battery has its own feed.
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #11

So, we never fell below 12.1. And after driving home the TV seems to have charged them up as they registered 12.6, which I believe is a full charge.

Our next trip is a 5 hour tow to a full hookup park.

We'll enjoy not worrying about running the furnace!

Thanks everyone!

Grant and Fiona