Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Battery charging at campsite question

First time TT owner here. Just picked up a 2012 26RLS and want to make sure I understand how and when the batteries get charged. I know they get charged while hooked up to the tow vehicle, but what about when plugged in to shore power? Does the inverter provide a trickle charge to the batteries?
Thanks for any info.

Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

The answer is yes and I believe it would be the converter, not the inverter that does it.

TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

Yes. When plugged in to shore power (RV park or home) the power panel will keep a trickle charge going to your battery. We keep our TT at home when not out on the road and keep it plugged into the 120v house power. Haven't had a problem doing that.
Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

Don’t expect much more than a trickle charge when you’re hooked up to your tow vehicle.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #5

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
The answer is yes and I believe it would be the converter, not the inverter that does it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Your TT should be equipped with a battery charge controller, not an inverter, but that is not to say that your TT may have an inverter.
The Battery charge controller converts 110VAC (Shore-Power) to 12VDC. An inverter converts 12VDC (Battery voltage) to 110VAC to run your television, and other 110VAC items.

Most TT's battery charge controller will charge your battery(s) while the TT is plugged into Shore-Power. When you are traveling, and your TT is hooked up to your TV (tow vehicle), the TV will supply 12Volt current to the TT and charge the battery(s) while traveling.

So, if you do not mind, we need to verify the type of battery charge controller your TT has. If you can, open the Electrical service panel (where your AC breakers and DC fuses are located, and give us the mfr and model of your controller. We can then let you know to what extent the controller will be charging your battery(s). Some of the older controllers left a lot to be desired in the way of charging batteries.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Wow. Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies. My next question was going to be since I keep my trailer at home, should I plug it in to keep the batteries maintained. Greg&Nancy do what I was hoping would be ok to do by plugging in at home. I will definitely check make and model of my controller and report back. I too would like to know to what type of charge I'm getting from the controller.
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Yup. Kept it plugged in all winter at our WV home. No problems. Battery is performing perfectly (knock wood.. We're on a cross country trek now. Started out from WV early June now in CA headed north)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliona View Post
Wow. Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies. My next question was going to be since I keep my trailer at home, should I plug it in to keep the batteries maintained. Greg&Nancy do what I was hoping would be ok to do by plugging in at home. I will definitely check make and model of my controller and report back. I too would like to know to what type of charge I'm getting from the controller.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

Before you leave it plugged in 24/7, let's wait until you find out what type of Battery Charge Controller your TT has. We can make a decision then, as it may be the old technology controller.

Do you know if the battery is new or old?

You also need to check the water level in each of the battery cells. A word of warning, battery acid is very dangerious and can cause blindness or skin burns. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CHECKING THE BATTERIES WATER LEVEL
Wear old clothes as any contact with the acid will put holes in your clothes when washed.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliona View Post
First time TT owner here. Just picked up a 2012 26RLS and want to make sure I understand how and when the batteries get charged. I know they get charged while hooked up to the tow vehicle, but what about when plugged in to shore power? Does the inverter provide a trickle charge to the batteries?
Thanks for any info.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Jayco TT.

As others have said, yes, the converter will charge your TT battery when on shore power.

However, keep in mind that very little charging occurs when you are towing. The current flow is too little and the voltage drop too great to recharge your TT to any real degree.

On shore power, the TT converter will charge your battery. The OEM WIFO converters do a good job a trickle charging without damaging your battery, but do a poor job of quickly charging a low TT battery.

If your camping plans include camping without plugging into shore power ('boondocking'), then you'll need to investigate how much 12volt power you'll need and how can recharge your battery(s).

(Oops. I see I've just restated what Don already said. )

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote