Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Battery fuse blows when using jack

My battery frame fuse blows when I use my jack to lift the truck to attach weight distribution bars. Granted I use the jack to lift it very high so I don't have to use the crow bar. Any suggestions? More blocks under tongue to limit lift?
Captain D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Blocks would only matter if you are reaching the end of the Jack's stroke.

It's possible you are putting too much load on that jack by lifting the trailer and truck. Most Jack's aren't rated for that.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

On some models, if you run the jack up to the high stop it will blow the fuse. Also, if you are putting too much strain on the jack it will overheat and blow. Try the blocks and don't run it all the way up. I had to learn that I didn't need to get my TV that high to put on the WD, try doing it a bit lower and work up to the height.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Some jacks don't have a limit switch and can blow a fuse or burn out if the hit the top or bottom and the power switch is held on.

Barring that, have you check to see if it needs lubrication? Is it to small for the load? If you are lifting your RV tongue and the back of big truck you might just be beyond the motors torque. If that is true it will burn out soon. The listed load on most units is just the manufacturers opinion. If it is a big name, US brand or sold by a local shop, try to find if it is defective.

Have you weighed you tongue weight, etc. Might have a little too much for that jack.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Some jacks don't have a limit switch and can blow a fuse or burn out if the hit the top or bottom and the power switch is held on.

Barring that, have you check to see if it needs lubrication? Is it to small for the load? If you are lifting your RV tongue and the back of big truck you might just be beyond the motors torque. If that is true it will burn out soon. The listed load on most units is just the manufacturers opinion. If it is a big name, US brand or sold by a local shop, try to find if it is defective.

Have you weighed you tongue weight, etc. Might have a little too much for that jack.
It is a new (2017) Jayco 23rd model. I just think I am trying to lift too high to be able to slide the bars by hand. Have fastway e2 hitch.
Captain D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

If your tongue jack is wired like ours, if you blow the fuse it also cuts off the charge line from the tow vehicle. It is advisable to separate them and take the jack wire straight to the battery. If the jack doesn't have its own breaker or inline fuse you will have to add one to the wiring.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote