Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #1

Battery Trouble

I’m a newbie I just bought a 32kbs about a month ago. We are on second time out and today while had it plugged up at house lost all lights and fridge I hooked battery charger up and everything works
I have checked all breakers and fuses and shore power will not charge battery l have read about fuse close to battery but I can’t find one
Help please
32kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #2

Zapped Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32kbs View Post
I’m a newbie I just bought a 32kbs about a month ago. We are on second time out and today while had it plugged up at house lost all lights and fridge I hooked battery charger up and everything works
I have checked all breakers and fuses and shore power will not charge battery l have read about fuse close to battery but I can’t find one
Help please

Supposed to work like this: AC power to the converter charges battery and provides 12v to coach for lighting and refrigerator. There should be a relay/fuse to protect output of 12v system. If everything works on battery charger and not on convlerter/AC power, something is amiss with that part of the system. Start with the 30 amp circuit breaker located in-line with the feed to the battery from the converter on the A-frame of the trailer. You bought it a month ago? New? Warranty?

And use the charger to recover the battery, maybe it is down beyond limits of converter. If it's used, that is probably the reason for disposal by previous owner.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

It’s brand new 2019
I can’t find fuse at battery my green wires are crimped together
I’m at campground running a battery charger
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

If you get power when the battery is charged then I'm going to say the inline fuse is most likely fine.

Make sure the breaker for the converter did not trip. If the breaker for the converter is not tripped and its on, turn it off for a min. Turn the breaker back on and see if you can hear anything (buzzing, humming, etc) coming from the converter.

As asked before, is this a used or new unit?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #5

Battery

Quote:
It’s brand new 2019
I can’t find fuse at battery my green wires are crimped together
I’m at campground running a battery charger

All five trailers I am familiar with have a large (10 or so gauge) red (four of five) wire that feeds the 12v to the coach. All five (2002 FR Cherokee 5R to 2018 Jayco 23rl) have a metal enclosed automotive circuit breaker mounted on the back side of the first frame cross member. There is a metal junction box where the plugin for the tow vehicle is attached, the CB should be just downstream from that. It you can short across the wire lugs and get power, the circuit breaker is bad. Be careful not to short across the hot side to the mounting bolt, it's ground. Speaking of which....you may even have a loose ground (same area under front at rear of A frame). Ah, those elusive electrons....
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcampers View Post
If you get power when the battery is charged then I'm going to say the inline fuse is most likely fine.

Make sure the breaker for the converter did not trip. If the breaker for the converter is not tripped and its on, turn it off for a min. Turn the breaker back on and see if you can hear anything (buzzing, humming, etc) coming from the converter.

As asked before, is this a used or new unit?
I bought it new a month ago
Old 06-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
I bought it new a month ago
I had similar issues on my 2018 whitehawk. All the 12v system worked off the battery. The converter wasn't taking the 120v to 12v nor was it charging my battery. After inspection it turns out the power wire from the converter disconnected from the circuit board. So no power was coming from the converter. If your box is the same as mine, you should be able to pop the black plastic surround off by removing the screw in the center and pulling the cover off. This cover includes the door to the breakers and should also be where your fuses for appliances is located. This box is located under the stove but your model may be different. (Note* disconnect from shore power) Check to make sure all wires are secure to the posts and the posts are secure to the circuit board.

You're getting power from the battery, so the fuse up by the battery should be ok as well as the reverse polarity fuses in your breaker box.

I now carry a battery charger with me for any future issues, sounds like you're more prepared than i was and already have one.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

You did verify the breakers at the pedestal are turned on??
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

Just curious if you found the issue? I hope you did.