Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Unhappy Battery VS Generator

Hi all. We just purchased our very first TT! It is a JayFlight 26bh and we think we love it. We had some problems with the dealer that sold it to us though. We were told that the battery would run the microwave and the tv. We were also told that the battery would charge in minutes, while plugged into the SUV, while running. Apparently I should have looked into these details more, but instead, was the trusting purchaser that believed what the dealer said.
So, my question is, after being on the phone most of the day with the dealership, Battery Plus, and Jayco, what is my best option for dry camping? Would I want to get 2 of the 28 or 29 marine batteries? Or would I be better off with a generator? The dealer told me that they would buy us a generator, for giving us incorrect information. BUT, generator's are heavy, and loud, correct?
I appreciate any help that you all can give me!

Betsyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

Take the dealer up on the generator offer! Then buy a second battery, and inverter to run the TV. Microwave may need the generator

Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

What battery should I get? Also, what is an inverter? And do you have any recommendations for good, quiet, generator? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Generators

The Honda generators are really quiet. Don't own one but but many friends have the 1000 and 2000 models. Bairly know they are running. Unfortuatly some people run construction grade generators which are verry loud and annoying. Find a Ham radio operatorwho gets QST the June issue of QST had a verry detailed comparison of some of the more quiet generators. Including sound levels at load..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Take the dealer up on the generator offer! Then buy a second battery, and inverter to run the TV. Microwave may need the generator
X2
Even if you had to trade up for a quieter/economical solution, you would have a new generator to deal off if necessary.

1985 'J' Series 2050
1997 Ram 1500
2004 Jeep WranglerX
Camping and Wheeling...it's what I do!
LilWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #6

Take the genny... any genny... but shoot for a honda or yamaha...

But you'll want to first switch out all your lighting to LED.. search threads on that.

Then you may want to change your battery to two 6v batteries to give you longer dry camping time and longer time between recharges on the genny.

Lot's of options and good folks here to help out.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyblue View Post
snip.....what is my best option for dry camping?......snip
IMO, if you do "frequent" boondocking then a pair of True Deep Cycle GC-2 batteries (not Marine/RV batteries), and at least a 2,000 watt Honda or Yamaha genny (quiet). Note a 2,000 watt genny won't run your A/C.... but my Yamaha EF2400iSHC will run my single 13K A/C.

But like the others have stated, take the free genny and then add the second battery "identical" to the existing.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #8

x5 on take the genny and a Honda or Yamaha. 1K min to run just a micro, TV and converter but push as much as you can for more. Batteries are cheap compared to the genny and your TV will not charge your batteries up within minutes. It could take 6+ hours to get your batteries back up to 90 percent if your lucky. If you're going to boondock then you will need a genny to bring up your bank.

I'll reccomend 2 x 6V batteries but you can save for a year or two and just add another one exactly the same as your current one if you have the genny.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #9

I knew there was a reason I wanted to join this forum! You all have given me lot's of great advice! I'm so thankful you all are here. I can admit that it's my fault for taking the dealer at their word... Stupid of me. I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday to get this straightened out and tell them what generator I want!
Thanks again for all your help! I'll kepp you posted on what I get
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #10

My advice is between now and Monday, bone up on RV electrical systems. This link will tell you a lot and it's well written and easy to understand. Armed with information, you'll be in a much better negotiating position with your dealer.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

p.s. I agree with what others have said... take the generator and try to get a Honda or a Yamaha inverter generator as these are much quieter than the contractor models.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote