Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #21

I've not had many issues with my Jayco. There was no warranty even though it was a yr old used unit as the warranty isn't transferable.

I've had to screw the L-portion of the couch back into the wall as the "construction" screws broke. Had a leak where the curved aluminum meets the roof and there wasn't enough sealant. Ceiling seam strips fall down so I air nail them back up as each one drops. Main TV died so I replaced it. Plastic wheel arch had no support so it flapped when driving and cracked so I added a support and epoxied it. Nothing much else that I recall. I've towed mine about 12,000mi so far.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj248 View Post
Crabman, does the coachman have the 3/8 inch screwed plywood in the roof. I can now see how important this roof construction can be. Thank you
Don't know how they are fastened description says walk on 3/8 roof decking. But no reports of roofs flying off or such over on the FR Coachmen forum, lol.
I have been up on mine and it seems solid. The Jayco 29RKS is as nice unit, about a foot longer and several grand more I may well have went with that if any were available nearby at the time. One thing I would also look at when comparing similar floor plans is cargo carrying capacity or CCC. Mine and the Jayco have a large CCC , over 2700 lbs. Some rear kitchens we looked had a CCC of 1300 lbs of less, the Salem you mention may have been one of them.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #23

THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts. I apologize for the delay in thanking you but I did not notice page 2-3. My fault. I am now fully committed to the Jayco for many reasons and like most, I do a great deal of construction so minor details can be fixed in minutes. My biggest selling point so far is the roof system. Although any build can be better, I really like the screws and 3/8ply. Several techs have told me they have seen very few roof barrier penetrations because screws don't pop like the staples.
THANK YOU ALL!!! This forum is the best and I will be hanging around especially after I purchase a Jayco.
jsj248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #24

My Jayco must have not read the sales brochure, plenty of staples holding my roof together. You can see them under the rubber roof covering. I have fixed many things since buying it new. I looked at several Keystone products (Springdale) and did not see much difference in trailer construction but we favored the Jayco floor plan and interior finishings. I still like my trailer a lot, but don’t feel its better made than anyone elses at the campground.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #25

Jayco screws the seams on the 3/8 plywood roof. The perimeters are stapled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yes they use screws on the roof, but only the perimeters, the rest is stapled. I do like the construction of the Jayco roof and I do appreciate US made T & G 5/8" flooring. Squeaking can happen when the RV is not properly leveled. It is easy to get it tweaked and cause squeaking. We typically are in one place for months at a time. Almost every month I have to re level the TT because of ground settling, and my first indication, is the floor squeaks in different areas. When I get it right, I have no squeaks anywhere.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I did not find that to be the case, if so I would never have posted an equal comparison. I have table and chairs no dinette. Things do not shake as if not solid. Smaller screws and only two of them in what? Jayflight is a great product, we loved ours and it was basically troublefree, just giving the OP some comparison options.
Anywhere that wood was joined to wood. The brackets would be half the size and have 2 screws rather than 4. I recall this in the dinnette specifically.
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Jayco screws the seams on the 3/8 plywood roof. The perimeters are stapled.
They use screws on the perimeters of each sheet of plywood...and staples in the field of the sheet..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts. I apologize for the delay in thanking you but I did not notice page 2-3. My fault. I am now fully committed to the Jayco for many reasons and like most, I do a great deal of construction so minor details can be fixed in minutes. My biggest selling point so far is the roof system. Although any build can be better, I really like the screws and 3/8ply. Several techs have told me they have seen very few roof barrier penetrations because screws don't pop like the staples.
THANK YOU ALL!!! This forum is the best and I will be hanging around especially after I purchase a Jayco.
Congrats, you will be happy with the Jayflight and the rear kitchen!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #29

Quote:
I agree with how terrible OSB is. Does jayco use plywood in floor/ceilings?
Although some may disagree with the salesmanship from Camping World but go ask the salesman you want to look at models that only have T&G hardwood floors. At the time we purchased (2017) their were the North Point, Pinnacle, and the Designer. Read up on the "Composite flooring". What I have found is a much glued; hard foam board sandwiched between two, at best, 3/8" marine OSB (often substituted for Luan which is 1/4") . It is put into a machine, glued, heated, and pressed together. I did ask about the Eagle and the answer was "composite flooring". Ask the salesman to show you proof, or call Jayco tech rep (To back up what the salesman is saying) for the model your interested in.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #30

I spoke with many salesmen over the last year and they are salesmen. In general (not all but most) could not even assure me the refrigerator worked on gas! I have had to do my own legwork and in fact, confirmed through jayco that the jayflights uses screws and a 3/8 inch plywood roof. They also confirmed 5/8 ply T/G in the floor. They also sent me a Max roof system flyer and I must say, I am impressed. As for the rest of the RV, I'm sure its the standard staple and throw together but that can be easily fixed. Before I have taken any of my past RV's out, I spend at least 2 weeks with 3" deck screws, wood glue, and silicone. I also make it a point to put most wiring in conduit. Yes-it takes a little time and work but the cost is minimal and the piece of mind allows me to sleep well. Finally, I found a unit I wanted and although I agreed to pay cash on the asking price and pick the unit up from their location, by the time the ridiculous salesman was finished adding "destination charges" - cleaning - inspecting - "mandatory go package (hoses and all the stuff I have) - moving charges - mandatory mechanical inspection charges, the price was increased 3000.00. Unbelievable!!! I guess I will wait and see if anyone on this board will be selling a 2016 or hit Craig's list and yes, it was camping world!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #31

I don't think so.

At least the You Tube video of the roof construction doesn't show that. In one video, they specifically only mention screws at the seams.

Another video actually shows them using nail/staple guns to attach the perimeter edges of the top sheathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
They use screws on the perimeters of each sheet of plywood...and staples in the field of the sheet..

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
Site Team

Staples being used on roof in this infamous video. But it's several years old they may have changed.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #33

I've attended the Jayco Masters Training twice. The roof is perimeter stapled and screwed on the seams. In addition to asking about the competitor's roof construction, ask about the frame construction. Jayco used an integrated tongue frame, which is welded to the trailer frame,,,not the tongue frame tacked welded onto the trailer frame. Jayco's may never be the "cheapest" but they are very well built. If you're shopping for campers are you interested in initial price or lifetime cost?
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #34

I believe you are right. I now have two variations. Number 1 is that they staple the seams but screw down the edges. Number 2 is that they screw the seams and staple the edges. Either way, at least they are using 3/8 plywood which for me is a good thing and from what I have been told (Who knows if it is true) The max roof system is the best? My personal thoughts are; as long as the frame and roof are high quality, Along with my Jayco RV tech friend, we can fix/replace almost everything else. I hold on to my cars, houses, toys forever so a little bit of good quality construction would go a long way.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #35

Roof

Had my entire roof replaced June 2017, piece work.That the quality you get.Only place I have seen guys running around any faster is Discount Tire!Where is the quality control guy?In month 27 of ownership still waiting on 10 plus items on my final warranty!Phoenix Arizona
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Had my entire roof replaced June 2017, piece work.That the quality you get.Only place I have seen guys running around any faster is Discount Tire!Where is the quality control guy?In month 27 of ownership still waiting on 10 plus items on my final warranty!Phoenix Arizona
This is the point I made earlier, buying an RV today is a crapshoot from any mass produced line. On any given day you could get a gem or a ........fill in the blank. IMO this will not significantly change until they switch off from the piecework method...
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
This is the point I made earlier, buying an RV today is a crapshoot from any mass produced line. On any given day you could get a gem or a ........fill in the blank. IMO this will not significantly change until they switch off from the piecework method...
Agreed attached is a warranty reply from Jayco today!They are waiting on a diagnoses on items requested in September 2017.We have sent numerous pictures, offered a video!This is what happens when you get a dealership who does not want to do warranty. Not kidding when saying 27 months and waiting. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco 1-8-18 warranty.PDF (35.3 KB, 15 views)
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #38

My very close friend works on Jaycos everyday. His explanation about delayed warrantee work "unfortunately" made very GOOD SENSE. He agrees totally that buying any RV is a crap shoot however, he did indicate the Jayco appear to have more quality construction components like the 3/8 roof. So, here we go. He works 8 hours a day and he hustles. The owner will not pay him overtime or for him to come in on the weekends which he agreed to do. Like he asked me; how much work can I get done in one day when almost EVERY new RV needs something under warrantee? This is the very reason he told don't worry about the warrantee since between the two of us, we can pretty much diagnose and fix anything except severe water damage. Unfortunately, it goes back to the initial (lack of quality control) and if the dealer hired an adequate amount of "certified" techs, they would go broke. Like my friend said; you may not want to hear the truth but the truth is the truth.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
My very close friend works on Jaycos everyday. His explanation about delayed warrantee work "unfortunately" made very GOOD SENSE. He agrees totally that buying any RV is a crap shoot however, he did indicate the Jayco appear to have more quality construction components like the 3/8 roof. So, here we go. He works 8 hours a day and he hustles. The owner will not pay him overtime or for him to come in on the weekends which he agreed to do. Like he asked me; how much work can I get done in one day when almost EVERY new RV needs something under warrantee? This is the very reason he told don't worry about the warrantee since between the two of us, we can pretty much diagnose and fix anything except severe water damage. Unfortunately, it goes back to the initial (lack of quality control) and if the dealer hired an adequate amount of "certified" techs, they would go broke. Like my friend said; you may not want to hear the truth but the truth is the truth.
Well if you buy used as indicated warranty will not be an issue anyway since it is not transferable to second owner. It could be a tall order though to find a 29RKS a year or two old equipped or color scheme the way you want it.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #40

That is certainly true crabman. Fortunately, for the first time, "time" is on my side. I have about 10 months to find something to winter in next year. I am less particular of items inside and more particular about the base construction. I am even more confident now about the Jayco base construction since nobody has been able to sway me away from their roof system which I believe is one of the best. Everything else can be fixed except for major water damage.

By the way, I don't know if it is common knowledge but Harbor Freight sells water monitors that take a 9 volt battery for 10 dollars. I have 3 of them on my boat and I high recommend putting them near your water heater, under the shower and near any major water junctions. The insurance of 10 dollars certainly help me sleep at night. Thanks all for your comments-This board is by far, the best.