Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Just a added note. Not ALL LED bulbs are dimmable.
Is this true?

LEDs use Pulse Width Modulation to "dim", and dimmers are wired into the power supply to the element. So in effect, the power to the light is cut off at varying rates to determine brightness. With PWM, it shouldn't matter what kind of element it is, right? I will freely admit I could be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

Now, color is a different story; not all LEDs can change color.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Is this true?

LEDs use Pulse Width Modulation to "dim", and dimmers are wired into the power supply to the element. So in effect, the power to the light is cut off at varying rates to determine brightness. With PWM, it shouldn't matter what kind of element it is, right? I will freely admit I could be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

Now, color is a different story; not all LEDs can change color.

I think it is. When I installed LED's (using a LED dimmer switch), they didn't work. So I went back to the store and the man working there told me not ALL LED's are dimmable. He said I had to get "dimmable specific" bulbs. He showed me the symbols on the package that declare if the bulb is dimmable or not.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I think it is. When I installed LED's (using a LED dimmer switch), they didn't work. So I went back to the store and the man working there told me not ALL LED's are dimmable. He said I had to get "dimmable specific" bulbs. He showed me the symbols on the package that declare if the bulb is dimmable or not.
Good to know! I knew that certain CFL types were not dimmable, but I figured that since PWM bypasses (overrides?) any electronics in the element, it would work regardless. This is something I'll have to look for if I'm installing one that needs to be dimmed.

In fact, the very same lights that the OP is talking about are on my list for an upgrade in the near future. I don't worry about them though because we use small LED table lamps from IKEA in the bedroom, so I really want all the light I can get out of all the ceiling-mounted lights since they're really only on when we're working in there packing or making the bed or whatever.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
The Logans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ona
Posts: 632
WOW, am I glad that we don't have Jayco installed LED fixtures! :-)

We just replaced the standard incandescent bulbs with different color and wattage LED's, to suit each area of the coach. Seems to be a much more flexible arraignment.
__________________
The Logan's
2018 Jayco Alante 31v
Me, Dear Wife,
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
WOW, am I glad that we don't have Jayco installed LED fixtures! :-)

We just replaced the standard incandescent bulbs with different color and wattage LED's, to suit each area of the coach. Seems to be a much more flexible arraignment.
+1

At least this way you can choose what you want to install. With the OEM LEDs Jayco is using, you're left with no choice but to replace the entire fixture. Or add lens modifications...
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

At least this way you can choose what you want to install. With the OEM LEDs Jayco is using, you're left with no choice but to replace the entire fixture. Or add lens modifications...
Really? Wow. Glad I don't have them either! Just in my house! LOL
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Really? Wow. Glad I don't have them either! Just in my house! LOL
Yeah, take a look at the pic in OP's post above (New OEM fixture). If you're going to replace that diode, you're going to be splicing wires or soldering. At least with the old style incandescent fixtures, you can have your choice of replacement diodes. You just have to decide how bright, what color, and how much you want to spend. And they just pop right in in place of the old bulb.

This is my current favorite; I've replaced 3 of my fixtures so far, with plans of getting the rest of the trailer done over time (I gotta budget, I'm no Rockefeller!):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

I started with one set in my main gallery lights (I have 3 main fixtures running down the middle of my trailer's main common area) and DW didn't even notice I had changed the one. The color match and output is an almost perfect match to the original bulbs.

Now, I would say these are too bright to be putting right above the bed in a reading area, but they're great everywhere else IMO. And like I said, I have table-top lamps in that area:

LAMPAN Table lamp - IKEA

I picked up a chandelier-base LED that fits in this lamp at IKEA as well (they cost 7.99, you'll note the lamp only costs 4.99, but it is what it is), and they're the perfect bedside lamps for us. They put out a nice, soft light, plenty to read by, they don't heat up, and they don't glare in your eyes. Granted, they plug in to the 110VAC plugs (not 12V), but we so rarely boondock anyway that doesn't matter to us...

Anyway, that's how we do it, YMMV.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Nukeneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 267
So here is my solution. I decided to remove the cover and spray paint the inside with a high heat white paint. This has definitely muted the light output and is much more comfortable for reading in bed. Time will tell if this is a viable solution.
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
So here is my solution. I decided to remove the cover and spray paint the inside with a high heat white paint. This has definitely muted the light output and is much more comfortable for reading in bed. Time will tell if this is a viable solution.
Definitely going to keep that one in the back pocket. I will likely run into a similar problem with my bunk lights. The LEDs I want will probably be just a bit too bright for that particular application. But I like them so much, I'm going to use them anyway and figure out if they're too bright how to mute that later.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
I had the same problem and posted my solution on an earlier post. I bought a couple of older style dual bulb incandescent fixtures from Amazon. They cost around $12 each. It was easy to remove the led fixture and replace it with these new ones. I bought warm white led bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs included with the fixture. The replacement fixture allows me to chose between 1 or 2 bulbs and they are not as bright as the factory led.
__________________

Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.