Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

Brown water or liquid in tub

Our camper has been winterized all winter and we have checked on it several times. And recently we had an ice snow storm and my wife. Checked on the camper today and found this brown mainly dried liquid in the tub. No marks inside around the roof upper walls or skylight.

I think it may be water coming in from behind one of the tail lights after the ice storm. Or those upper yellow markers lights. My wife said they looked sealed good to her.

I would like to look behind the shower surround. It looks like plastic pop Rivets or retaining clips. Can I press in the center pen and remove them or use an automotive trim tool. What’s the trick to getting in behind there and looking around.

Where can I get more of those clips or rivets

Any help would be appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	79946AEC-27A8-433B-B843-C07B2172C235.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	68260

Name:	B6A901D7-8A87-424D-9ADB-4F5EBDF33FC3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	68261

Name:	95FFEA50-B3D3-4E8C-AB31-4A35119F69AE.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	68262
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Is there a skylight over the tub? The outer skylight cover on my TT developed cracks and started leaking, luckily right into the tub. If there is a skylight, try removing the inner skylight cover and check for signs of water intrusion, and looks for a crack in the outer cover.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Is there a skylight over the tub? The outer skylight cover on my TT developed cracks and started leaking, luckily right into the tub. If there is a skylight, try removing the inner skylight cover and check for signs of water intrusion, and looks for a crack in the outer cover.
Thanks there is a sky light but I don’t see any water or cracks around it unless it is running across the ceiling and behind the surround

Has anyone removed one of these surround.
Is there wallboard behind it or is it open to the studs
Old 02-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

I think he's saying remove the 6-8 screws holding the inside plastic skylight and then look into that opening (you'll need a ladder/step stool to get up that high). There should be a 4" gap or so between the ceiling of the bathroom and the roof. Look and see if there's any water in there. If you can, you can also get up on the roof and look for any cracks on the outside plastic skylight, caulk, etc.

Brown water would make me think there's a leak somewhere. Coming down the frame of the shower and then hitting the floor shower pan.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
Is there wallboard behind it or is it open to the studs
Yes there is paneling behind the surround.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

Which model of Jayco do you have? It might help us, help you, diagnose the issue if we can see the layout and where there might be possible places for water intrusion.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #7

Even though you may not easily be able to do so, but you or someone should get on the roof and check the skylight from above. Look for any cracks in the plastic itself as well as surrounding the entire skylight area where it meets the roof. You will likely need to clean and reseal it from the rooftop.

Also, I wouldn't try to remove the shower surround as you may not get it back in and removing it will likely not be of any value in repairing the leak which I feel strongly that you have. I had a similar skylight issue last year, but it was visible in a bit of the ceiling area.
~CA
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Which model of Jayco do you have? It might help us, help you, diagnose the issue if we can see the layout and where there might be possible places for water intrusion.
2018 264BH
Tub is against the back wall of the trailer.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Even though you may not easily be able to do so, but you or someone should get on the roof and check the skylight from above. Look for any cracks in the plastic itself as well as surrounding the entire skylight area where it meets the roof. You will likely need to clean and reseal it from the rooftop.

Also, I wouldn't try to remove the shower surround as you may not get it back in and removing it will likely not be of any value in repairing the leak which I feel strongly that you have. I had a similar skylight issue last year, but it was visible in a bit of the ceiling area.
~CA
I’m going to try and inspect the skylight tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

i took that skylight down I cant find any signs of water in or around it.

i inspected around that area out side the camper and the gutter has pulled away from the camper a little.

is there any problem filling behind it with docor caulk?

i also found some places that had cracks in the caulking. I'm guessing water froze ran over and in behind the gutter and maybe got inside some how.

I going to leave that skylight out and try to check when it rains and see what i can see maybe pull some of that insulation out. its all currently dry now though

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	68299

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	68300

Name:	IMG_2185.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	68301

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	68302

Name:	IMG_2190.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	68303
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #11

The wood looks nice and dry around the underside of the skylight ggilbert. When mine leaked I could see stains where water had run down the framing.

I think your idea of an ice dam causing water to build up somewhere is a definite possibility. I wonder if ice pushed the gutter out of position and opened up a screw hole, allowing the water to enter there?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
The wood looks nice and dry around the underside of the skylight ggilbert. When mine leaked I could see stains where water had run down the framing.

I think your idea of an ice dam causing water to build up somewhere is a definite possibility. I wonder if ice pushed the gutter out of position and opened up a screw hole, allowing the water to enter there?
As soon as my wife gets home to hold the ladder we are going to investigate that. before on the other side when it was under warranty i had to have longer screws installed to pull the gutter in. the original factory ones where over tightened and didn't grab into the wood i got a feeling this is the same deal.

I'm out of warranty now so i guess i get to work on it.