Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #1

choosing a storage unit

Once we finish rebuilding from Harvey, we will need to store our trailer permanently. As much as we would love to store it at home, it would not work.

We currently have it stored at the most expensive place in town. I don't like paying that much, but all other comparable sites are filled, and my husband didn't care for the one with vacancy.

I'm a bit concerned about theft. I understand thieves can overcome just about any lock we put on the coupler. The storage place is gated and has working cameras, but we all have read stories about how that doesn't stop them. (Yes, we have insurance.)

What do you look for when choosing a storage facility?

Our current place is on the highway, and we pass it at least once a day and can see our trailer. It does have decent coverage from the elements, it's level (concrete) and has 110 power for when we want to get the fridge cold before taking off.

As Harvey goes away and the demand for RV and boat storage wanes a bit, I'm curious as to what I should look for in a storage facility.

If it is truly safest at my current location, I'll pay the extra to keep it there. I would like to pay less if I can, however.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 AM   #2

What ever helps you sleep at night is what boils down to. Keep your insurance policy paid up.
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #3

Good lighting, 6-foot fence, security access gate, at least someone there during the day.

Here's what I do... I hid an old Iphone in the trailer, turned on (I charge it once a week). Now, if anyone takes my trailer I can simply use... find my iphone and the police will know within 10' of where it is.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We currently have it stored at the most expensive place in town. I don't like paying that much, but all other comparable sites are filled, and my husband didn't care for the one with vacancy.
Octo,

Being in the same area, I feel your pain (in the wallet). All storage places around here are getting premium prices yet still fill filling up. We started experiencing this a few years back.

We now store ours in a private campground in another county. A number of places do this. The price is great and after five years no problem with theives. But, as said, it's in a campground out of town and with very little security.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

Maybe put a jack stand under one side of your rv and remove the wheel. Your thief would have some difficulty with that.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

Does anyone here pay a friend or relative to have it stored on their property? That has crossed my mind, but not sure if that is more or less secure.
Part of me thinks more secure since people actually live there and with the high level of gun ownership here, break ins don't tend to happen while people are home.
On the other hand, most people we know with places to store a trailer do not have cameras or fences.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

I look for three things in storage.
1) reasonable distance to my house. An extra few minutes of driving may not seem like much but it really adds up when you are in a hurry before or after a trip.
2) 24 hour access. I usually come home in the afternoon, unload, feed the kids and get them to bed, and then take the trailer to storage later at night.
3) ease of parking. I had a really cheap place close to my house, but I had to dodge an bunch of obstacles to get my trailer parked. They did storage for dump trucks and industrial trailers, and it was a nightmare. Let me tell you, after a long day on the road, backing a trailer through an s-curve into a tight spot in the dark causes significant stress.

Security wise, as long as it meets a certain standard, and you take a few basic precautions, that's good enough for me. Total security isn't possible, and that's my I have very good insurance.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
I look for three things in storage.
1) reasonable distance to my house. An extra few minutes of driving may not seem like much but it really adds up when you are in a hurry before or after a trip.
2) 24 hour access. I usually come home in the afternoon, unload, feed the kids and get them to bed, and then take the trailer to storage later at night.
3) ease of parking. I had a really cheap place close to my house, but I had to dodge an bunch of obstacles to get my trailer parked. They did storage for dump trucks and industrial trailers, and it was a nightmare. Let me tell you, after a long day on the road, backing a trailer through an s-curve into a tight spot in the dark causes significant stress.

Security wise, as long as it meets a certain standard, and you take a few basic precautions, that's good enough for me. Total security isn't possible, and that's my I have very good insurance.

Exactly what I do.

I have had boats stored at a few different types of places. Started out at the most expensive place (Public Storage) somewhat near my house - limited access hours and they raised he rates 4 times in 2 years. Then by the recommendation of my friend I moved it to his neighbors house on a suburban farm 7 miles from my house - good up until someone broke in and stole $2k worth of stereo equipment and broke some doors to get in to the housing. Now I keep the travel trailer in storage about 2 miles up the road - 24hr access, gated, guy on site Mon-Sat, dump site, and it's $84 a month for 45ft pull through space right near the gate - on that note, I did have someone clip my trailer but they stopped and their insurance paid everything easily.

There will always be good and bad with any storage place.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

You could be in Cali. I’m in Orange County and pay $215/mo for a 26’ x 8’ spot. I squeeze my 30’ trailer in it because the back hangs over the curb. Parking it is not fun either. Least it’s gated/cameras and in a good area.

Man I wish I had rv parking at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #10

We store ours at home but our local campground has an area where RVs can be stored. They charge a reasonable price. If you choose to camp there they will put your RV on your site for you. Otherwise you can get it any time you want. They have an electronic gate keycard that you must have to enter the campground. The owners live in a house right across from the storage area.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
You could be in Cali. I’m in Orange County and pay $215/mo for a 26’ x 8’ spot. I squeeze my 30’ trailer in it because the back hangs over the curb. Parking it is not fun either. Least it’s gated/cameras and in a good area.

Man I wish I had rv parking at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also wish so much that we could store it at the house behind the fence. It simply won't fit.
It would even be worth it to pay for a metal carport for what I'm paying in storage.
If we ever move, it is something I will look for in a property.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #12

That reminds me - if you have a choice in where to park in the storage place - always try to figure out which way the sun moves throughout the day and try to park next to something taller for shade if possible. I have moved within the storage place a few times to get better spots. Now I have the best spot IMO
Attached Thumbnails
24507621003_3b429773e1_o.jpg  

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #13

Nunyadamn, I just PM'd you

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

Holy crap! After seeing what some of you have to pay for storage I’ll never complain about the TT taking up almost all of my driveway all summer long and having to park vehicles in the street. Might be a little easier with a 5er this summer.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #15

We keep our travel trailer and boat in a covered storage facility in a small town (pop. 1,100) about 65 miles from home, but just 7-or-8 miles from two lakes where we camp most of the time.

The boat is in a fully-enclosed building with a door that I can lock. The trailer is open on the front but there is a gate that I can lock. I have enough room in the boat room to store extras like lawn chairs, smoker and left-over firewood.

Cost is $110 a month ($55 for each spot). During the season we are in the camper at least two weekends a month. I figure I save most of that in gas alone not towing the travel trailer 65 miles each way and not having to take two vehicles if we want the boat.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote