Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Cold Weather camping questions

I have a couple of questions around camping in colder weather.
1st - We are planning on camping the weekend of 11/1. Right now my camper sits in my yard with a couple nights until then getting down around 30 degrees F. Should I be worried about my water lines? Should I go blow them out until I'm ready to go? I do have the thermal package.

2nd - While camping I was thinking of just using a space heater to heat the camper (use campground electricity instead of all my propane). However, after thinking about the duct work, would the heat in the duct work actually be better for keeping the water lines warmer in the underbelly? Thoughts?

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

If the temps are going to stay in the low 30’s I would not winterize before your trip.

When camping I would use the campers furnace. We take 2 tt’s deer hunting every year we have stayed in temps down to the upper teens. My tt has the water lines running inside under the cabinets by running the furnace I keep the lines from freezing. I do have to use pipe insulation and heat tape on the fresh water intake or it freezes. My sons tt has a heated under belly so running the furnace is important.

Lastly I recommend that you dump a gallon of anti freeze in the black and grey tanks to prevent freezing.

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

We ran into this same problem last week. The TT was only a few degrees warmer than the outside air. So, I blow out the lines, and left it at that.

We use electric heat all the time when cool weather camping. The coldest temps we have experienced is in the low 20's, and have not experienced any issues. We do keep the cabinet doors ajar at night just to allow a bit more heat into the areas the pipes are at.

We fill the FW tank full, and use that water. It has a large thermal mass, and has never given us any issues. As for the waste tanks, even with very little water in them, the area is large, and the thin amount of potential ice, does not have the strength to damage anything.

Sometimes we have turned on the gas furnace on in the morning to boost the TT's temp when we get up.

So go have fun!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #4

1) If your "In the yard" run a drop cord to the RV, plug it in and run the furnace with a 50 degree setting. It will be ok.

2) When camping in Nov? I would only use that space heater as a supplement heat. Again run the furnace. Problems start (In colder weather) when temps drop in the lower twenties.

30 Keep the fresh water tank full and use it. It is easier. When camping connect the water hose, fill up the tank and then disconnect. I put the hose in the shower, at the ready.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #5

I agree with all of the above. We have camped with lows in the low 20's as long as the highs are in the high 30's-low 40's we haven't had any issues. Happy Travels!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

Your furnace will keep you and your family and your water lines warm in the temperatures you mentioned. Space heaters are helpful but working alone probably won't keep everyone comfortable.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote