Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Composting toilet - anyone?

Hi Guys,

I am seriously considering installation of composting toilet. I am 100% boon docker. I read a few threads, but I could not find a lot of posts from people who are actually using such toilet.

Anyone installed the toilet in Jayco TT? How did you connect the power to the fan? Is this DIY project to install the toilet?

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Have you checked out on IRV2? More folks with more brands of RVs so there might be someone over there that is using one.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Site Team

I did a search and there are a number of threads on JOF also. Here is one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...let-32779.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

Thanks! As I said, I read a few threads on JOF (including the one above), but they are not very informative, not very recent and most posts are wrote by skeptical non-users.

I will check other forums as well.

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #5

I don’t see the benefit. Why not just use a plastic bag in toilet and throw it out? Save a lot of money, no smell and tank space can be removed/ reused. When the composting toilet fills up what do you do with it? No way it has decomposed so if it is not going into trash can you are dumping human waist into our environment. Not to nice. I know to each his own. Take care

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Team

When this came up a while back there were some YouTube videos of a few proponents of the disposal method.

I watched them and determined that I only want to deal with my black waste once!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When this came up a while back there were some YouTube videos of a few proponents of the disposal method.

I watched them and determined that I only want to deal with my black waste once!
Here is one video, and I agree, I'll deal with the waste once and not have to deal with carrying two waste tanks through the RV to get the waste outside to dump. Also, as the video mentions smell and pest management.

No thanks.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
Site Team

You may also want to search some of the van camper forums and sites. Lots of people are using the composting units in their conversion builds.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #9

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Ive seen that informative YT video above. It pretty much covered all the bases of life with an RV compost toilet. No thanks. Oh, and by the way, have fun explaining the instructions to your overnight guests who come see you at your campsite.

Like it said at the end, you can’t ignore that dreaded phase of being human, if you ever get an upset stomach, the flu, or a stomach virus, you will be sorry if you use it. DW and I as fulltimers were once at a state campground, and I came down with the flu. A day later, she got it also. A full week there, 10’ by the beautiful lake, we were just miserable...never got to enjoy it. FWIW, nearest campground toilet was well over a 100 yards away. Not sure if a surprise express delivery on a bike would be a success, if you decide you want one if these. It may be more in tune for the younger crowd who have total bladder control, but as you get older, trying to keep liquids and solids separate...well let’s just say you’ll only be fooling yourself of batting a 1.000. It is a waste bucket. These type toilets are not a composting toilet by definition, which takes months to decompose, and how a family of 4-5 people in one video can go over a week or more between dumps is beyond me.

I’ve an older brother and sister n law who, over the last year, have been planning their retirement dream fifth wheel out with a hefty solar capacity for extended boondocking, and they are sold on replacing the stock toilet with a rv composting toilet to conserve water and convert the black tank to more grey tank capacity. They are convinced on the major pros, from the YT videos they’ve watched, but if one can deal with this major negative time and again when **it happens, then more power to you. They’re 3 years away and I figure that’ll be plenty of time to discover it isn’t what they were expecting when they hit their early sixties and these issues set in.

I can imagine seeing my corn-fed brother in his mid sixties doing the happy dance when he splashes boiling hot water to sanitize the containers wearing shorts in the hot Texas summer.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Hi Guys,

I am seriously considering installation of composting toilet. I am 100% boon docker. I read a few threads, but I could not find a lot of posts from people who are actually using such toilet.

Anyone installed the toilet in Jayco TT? How did you connect the power to the fan? Is this DIY project to install the toilet?

Thanks!
We are 80% boondocking... I am interested in having more information on how it works for you... (not that I am eager to learn to empty it so often, but am interested in your experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Thanks! As I said, I read a few threads on JOF (including the one above), but they are not very informative, not very recent and most posts are wrote by skeptical non-users.

I will check other forums as well.

Thanks!
thus my prior comment... I have researched extensively, but found very little on the subject of what is actually composted, versus what is raw waste/peat in a plastic bag. I would like to see someone on JOF actually go "all-in" and share their real-world experience with one after using it for a year. Sharing the install, benefits, pitfalls and everything in-between... (that is not a sponsored endorsement by the manufacturer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
You may also want to search some of the van camper forums and sites. Lots of people are using the composting units in their conversion builds.
Please post the links to them please!!!!! I searched and found less than the JOF has (with a google commercial search appliance)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Here's one from a blog.

https://www.parkedinparadise.com/bes...osting-toilet/

A little more basic overview of their particular unit.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Nature's Head Vs. Airhead

Old 06-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Site Team

I really like this one for the way it shows the instillation in an RV in place of the existing traditional toilet. You probably want the ladies you travel with to watch this video before you decide on one. This does really give the complete details. If you are only going to watch one Composting Toilet video, this is the one.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #14

So after this video I think I will keep black tank. Getting on my knees to deal with this poop bucket will not work for me. No way does this compost your poop. It is a fancy $1000 poop bucket. You get to bag up and throw into trash can. Nice human waist getting disposed of into land fills. How can this even be allowed. To each his own.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
So after this video I think I will keep black tank. Getting on my knees to deal with this poop bucket will not work for me. No way does this compost your poop. It is a fancy $1000 poop bucket. You get to bag up and throw into trash can. Nice human waist getting disposed of into land fills. How can this even be allowed. To each his own.

Enjoy the journey
I agree, I spent a lot of time looking into this and most people pushing them are sponsored or have referral links. I found a blog a while back that talked about the negatives and how they regretted it.
I think fate unbound mentioned dumping their pee in a starbucks bathroom. That's messed up to me. I'll keep dumping my tanks every 5 days and not haul a pee bucket around every day.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Nature's Head Vs. Airhead
Alright, enough said in one picture!

Who wants to sit down at the picnic table now?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture20200627.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote