Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
snip..... The output stage of the converter has protection against dead shorts......snip
Yes, I would hope it does, but in my experience, some circuit designers take short cuts, which can lead to field failures. It was my job to clean up their messes.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The output stage of the converter has protection against dead shorts.
The protection is done by shutting down the output of the converter, hence no 12V for the trailer.

A damaged battery that is a near dead short will bring down the whole 12V system. This is not the same failure mode as a battery that will not hold a charge.

xciton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

Unhappy same type of issues

HI, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. We bought a new battery last spring because our old battery was not working (or so we thought), would not charge up when plugged into either shore power or generators. It could be plugged in for days but once unplugged would barely show anything on the meter, and would run out in a matter of a couple of hours. After we bought the new battery we weren't camping anywhere right away that we needed to use the battery so didn't really think to check it, then when we did need the battery, it was the same thing, wouldn't last, would run out in just an hour or two.

I also noticed about mid way through the summer whenever we would try to plug the camper into the outside plug at the house, it would pop the breaker for that plug, and we'd have to reset the plug, got me thinking there was something wrong. Everything runs fine as long as we have it plugged into the generators, or another plug-in. Could this mean that the converter just isn't charging the battery when we have it plugged into shore power and we need to have it replaced? We have checked all the fuses and they are fine.

HELP please, we really need to figure this out before camping season rolls around again.

fastcatkerry is offline   Reply With Quote