Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #1

Potential Design Flaw in the whithawk 28dsbh

Wow... not impressed.

I bought a Fantastic fan for our new Whitehawk 28dsbh. I thought it would be great to get some extra flow through the trailer in the summer months. I asked our dealer to install the fan and add a Max Air two vent cover as well to keep the rain out when the fan was in use during lowsy weather. Well we went for the final inspection today and noticed the vent cover not installed.

I asked service what happened and was told they can't install "ANY" type of vent cover ( large or small ) due to the vent pipe from the black tank being put right beside the only air vent in the trailer. ....Really ????

Come on Jayco!!!!..... Not only is that a design flaw.. but dangerous...... what's to stop the poopy air from being blown back into the trailer via the open air vent in the bathroom. can you say ....Lighter anyone.? Chances are slim anything would happen but still ?

I'll be calling Jayco tomorrow. Other than that.... the trailer was pretty cool.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Would something like this help with the black tank vent to keep the gas away from the air vent? Or is there not any room between the two vents to mount any covers?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...0-vent-cap.htm
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to WestTXmed
Absolutely get one of the above vents for the black tank. They DO work. As far as the vent cover not being able to fit because of the proximity to the black tank vent, you have several options: There is a lip that goes around MaxxAir vent cover. If the black tank vent pipe is rubbing up against the lip of the vent cover, trim it. The other option is one you may not like as much. Return your Fantastic Fan and exchange it for one that has the automatic rain sensor on it. That way, you wont need a MaxxAir vent cover at all. It will cost you though.

How close does the black tank vent pipe come to the existing vent opening that you want to cover? I'm really thinking you can do a trim job on a MaxxAir cover. Its been done before. I hope this helps, and sorry for that man, I know its very frustrating.

"Here fishy, fishy, fishy......" - Me

"Never take a laxative and an Ambien in the same night." - Dr. Dad

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
WestTXmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTXmed View Post
Absolutely get one of the above vents for the black tank. They DO work. As far as the vent cover not being able to fit because of the proximity to the black tank vent, you have several options: There is a lip that goes around MaxxAir vent cover. If the black tank vent pipe is rubbing up against the lip of the vent cover, trim it. The other option is one you may not like as much. Return your Fantastic Fan and exchange it for one that has the automatic rain sensor on it. That way, you wont need a MaxxAir vent cover at all. It will cost you though.

How close does the black tank vent pipe come to the existing vent opening that you want to cover? I'm really thinking you can do a trim job on a MaxxAir cover. Its been done before. I hope this helps, and sorry for that man, I know its very frustrating.
I would think they would be able to modify it somehow but they haven't figured out how yet. If it was me I would think of using a heat gun and warp the maxx air cover to conform around the exhaust vent but it still might not sit flush. It's about 1 1/2 inches from eachother. The dealer has sent some pictures to jayco for them to have a look.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

I just finished installing a Max Air vent on my X23J. The black tank vent pipe is also very close to the vent fan. I had to trim the corner of the Max Air vent to get clearance around the black tank vent, It took a lot of carefull placement, aligning, trimming of the Max Air vent to finally get the right position where it would clear the black tank vent and have the fan vent cover not hit the cover. It can be done, at least on my camper.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote