Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #1

DOKIO Foldable Solar Panel 100w(50x2) 18v Monocrystalline

I received my
DOKIO Foldable Solar Panel 100w(50x2) 18v Monocrystalline , Portable Folding Solar Suitcase with Controller to Charge 12 Volts Batteries

As it comes, the only connector from the controller is standard battery clamps. I thought there would be a way to connect it to my factory installed SAE connector.

I assume it simply is not available on this unit, which is weird because Amazon recommended purchasing a package of Sunway battery charger extension cable adapters which were all SAE connectors.

Why would Amazon suggest these if they have no purpose for this small solar unit.
mduchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #2

Kohree SAE Adapter Connector Cable 10 AWG with SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Adapter for RV Solar Panel DC Power Automotive Quick Connect Cord, 2FT / 60cm / 24 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSNQKDD...XRAWHE5878EDMP

Probably still need an extension cable so you can put the panels out in the sun
tennistime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the adapter/cable you linked to. The problem is, the only leads coming out of my controller is two cables connected to a standard battery clamp. They are connected to the controller with two wires going in, so I suppose I could insert a different kind of wire/cable in there, leading to an SAE connector (which is what I have factory installed on my Jayco Feather (2018).

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that unless I had clear instructions from the vendor.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:

Why would Amazon suggest these if they have no purpose for this small solar unit.
Because a computer algorithm based on purchases and key words, not a person with experience in using the product, made the suggestion.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduchemin View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the adapter/cable you linked to. The problem is, the only leads coming out of my controller is two cables connected to a standard battery clamp. They are connected to the controller with two wires going in, so I suppose I could insert a different kind of wire/cable in there, leading to an SAE connector (which is what I have factory installed on my Jayco Feather (2018).

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that unless I had clear instructions from the vendor.

Generally you just cut and wire new ends. You could even use something like a deans connector and be able to swap back to the original if you needed to in a pinch(eg dead truck battery).
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduchemin View Post

Are the wires hard wired to the charge controller or are they held in place by screws? My Renogy just has bare wires going into metal connectors held by screws, I can attach any wiring I want.

f you're only going to be using this for your particular setup, you can just cut the wires and add an SAE 2 pin connector.

Keep polarity correct and you're not going to hurt anything. Just make sure you have an inline fuse if you build your own wire harness.
tennistime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

Thanks so much. You hit the nail on the head. The existing connection is simply wired to the controller and the wires are connected via a screw that can accept any wire. So, it will be easy to simply wire an SAE connection right there. Thanks again for the info/idea. Problem solved!