Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Easy Wireless Back-Up Camera for RV Parking

Just looking for a quick and easy wireless/digital back-up camera that isn't formally screwed into the RV (thinking a clip-on to the license plate might be best, even though my plate is off-center). And something that could wirelessly talk to the monitor that I could pull out and throw on the dashboard when it's time to back up the RV into parking. Seems like some of these units either have ranges of only 33 feet (and my Jayco is 28, which would put it about 38-40 feet from dash to rear of RV).

Anyone out there have simple solutions just for assistance in backing up into tight spaces without some formal system that screws in, needs to be wired, mounts to the dash of the truck, etc. I'd like to see what others do for these tense 5 minute backing in moments a few times a year. Thanks :-)
mrfizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #2

I am on my second added wireless backup camera. My rig is 32 feet long and the cameras are mounted at the rear top edge of my motor home. I had to add extension antennas on both to get a steady signal. The added antennas were basically located about 1/2 way to the monitor. Both cameras purchased from Amazon.

Instead of screwing them in I mounted both with 3M VHB tape. Very strong stuff! They haven't budged a millimeter. I use this tape for all kinds of stuff.

The camera location allows me to see where my small trailer ends giving me the traffic behind me for changing lanes. Even without the trailer the cameras is so much better than the one that came with the rig.

I have attached info on my second purchase just as an example. When I bought it the company was giving away a free second camera if you asked for it. Nice deal but I don't think they do it anymore. Also, when I had signal drop out problems they sent me a free extension antenna. Their customer service was pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the iBall wireless camera system.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Magn...2493037&sr=8-3

It is magnetic, so I quickly stick it on the back bumper of the trailer when backing in to a tight spot. Trailer is 26'6" to be exact from hitch to bumper. Works well with very little if any static or interference in the picture. I have never attempted to leave it on the bumper while in motion however.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

I’ve been looking for a portable camera that works with my iPhone/iPad. Something I can put out when needed and take back off...
Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I’ve been looking for a portable camera that works with my iPhone/iPad. Something I can put out when needed and take back off...

Ironically, after reading Midnightmoon's comments on a magnetic one, and clicking on the Amazon link, I went down that route. I eventually think I'm going with this one, which is similar in that it's the same idea of a magnetic temporary mount wherever you best can use it. And instead of a monitor, it just comes to your phone via a phone app. I like the idea of just using my phone for a quick view for 5 minutes as needed wherever I stick it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mrfizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:40 PM   #6

backup camera option

I've had mine a few years now, with no complaints on a 23 foot camper. It is the iStrong 2 camera system. I hard wired one in the available spot center high on the back of the trailer. The second one is mounted to a wood bracket I built that mounts on the bumper and secured with Velcro that I use when backing onto a site. I made the bracket long enough to stick out past the spare tire for viewing angle. The high one is not great for backing up, but good for traveling. You would like the bumper one. I only strap it on when backing up. I ran a power cord up to the solar charging port for power, so it is on whenever the trailer has power. It has a 7" monitor that uses 12 volt power (lighter).
Camp Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #7

I got a 2nd camera for my AMTIFO and mounted it on a Harbor Frieght suction cup uses to pickup glass so I can clip it anywhere. Use aligator clips to attach to my Anderson connectors at my battery box.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote