Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Elec. heater

We’re new to rving. Will a travel trailer’s wiring support a 1500 watt heater?
kensoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. We use then all the time usually on low instead of high. Depending on what else is drawing current from the breaker that feeds the outlet. That leaves us a little capacity on the breaker for something else.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensoll View Post
We’re new to rving. Will a travel trailer’s wiring support a 1500 watt heater?
At 1500 watts the heater will draw 12.5 amps, which should be safe for any 15 amp factory installed circuit as long as nothing else is using the same circuit.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #4

Heater

We use on low also - 750 watts - don't want to overload the wiring ( we all know the manufacturer would never skimp on quality ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #5

We use one all the time. You just have to watch what else you are running at the same time. Usually the biggest no-no is using something like an electric coffee pot, griddle, or hair drier at the same time as they will use the same circuit. Some times if you are using the electric water heater or the microwave (different circuits) you might pop the main 30 amp breaker.

If it stops working unexpectedly we just change our electrical habits for a few minutes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

We like to have the OIL FILLED Electric heaters around. What we usually do is run a second extension out to the camp ground pedestal and plug it in their 20AMP Receptacle. Then it will not take anything from our 30A Pedestal connection...

Have heard from a few folks that some campgrounds do not like you using two of their pedestal circuits at the same time but I have never run into any of that...

We like using the oil filled heaters as they have no open flame or red hot cores to deal with inside your trailer. Pretty safe for us to use around kids and animals...

We like this low profile oil filled heater version... We like to run these on a low #3 low range setting...

Google image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #7

I use the cheap electric ones off of Amazon. I think the brand name is PLEMO. They are ceramic and less than a foot tall. They last about a year or two. ( I live in my Whitehawk about 6-8 months every year for work) and they only cost about 20 bucks. I do have to turn the heater off to run the coffee maker or it will trip the breaker
Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybraddy View Post
we like to have the oil filled electric heaters around. What we usually do is run a second extension out to the camp ground pedestal and plug it in their 20amp receptacle. Then it will not take anything from our 30a pedestal connection...

Have heard from a few folks that some campgrounds do not like you using two of their pedestal circuits at the same time but i have never run into any of that...

We like using the oil filled heaters as they have no open flame or red hot cores to deal with inside your trailer. Pretty safe for us to use around kids and animals...

We like this low profile oil filled heater version... We like to run these on a low #3 low range setting...

google image

roy ken

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #9

I use a slightly more expensive ($49) electric heater. It has electronic thermostat which hold temperature much better. If we arrive and it is cold I run it on high until it brings the RV up to temp and then set it to low so it will run more often and keep the temp even. Never noticed any heating of the plug or wall outlet and I have checked.

Our 195rb does not have a lot of draws other than the AC, battery charger, TV and microwave so not worried about drawing more than the main cord can provide.

It is a great unit, very quiet and does not make that click or tink noise when it cuts in and out. Only drawback is it is somewhat larger than the cheapos.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #10

We take one from home every time we go, it's no problem at all. Our 30 amp service has no problems. Would rather use the electricity we already paid for as part of our camp ground reservation than propane if possible any time.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
We like to have the OIL FILLED Electric heaters around. What we usually do is run a second extension out to the camp ground pedestal and plug it in their 20AMP Receptacle. Then it will not take anything from our 30A Pedestal connection...

Have heard from a few folks that some campgrounds do not like you using two of their pedestal circuits at the same time but I have never run into any of that...

Google image

Roy Ken
Probably a lower intelligence question but how do you get the extension cord inside the TT? A window that is left cracked open or ??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #12

We use a Costco heater don't remember the brand but talk and rotates. Has thermo. but it also has a remote. So once in bed we turn it off and if needed we can turn it on before getting out of bed. Works well, no issues with power, been using it for 4 or 5 years. Think it was about $40

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #13

We run a ceramic electric heater with a thermostat.

I drilled a hole added an extra plug that comes in under the dining table.

Then we just plug into the extra outlet on the power post works great.

This way the heater is on it's own circuit. Run what you want in the trailer no problems.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote