Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #1

Electric tongue jack problem

I have a 2015 Jayco 29qbs. My electric tongue jack has quit working using the normal switches on the jack turn on and other switch to raise/lower. I have checked the inline fuse and it is good. The wierd thing about this....if I use a set of jumper cables and connect to the positive on the battery and the bottom end of the inline fuse so that power is routed through the inline fuse the jack will work. It does not work when normally connected. I checked power to the trailer side of the fuse and it is not receiving the normal power there is 0 volts. Battery is charged and main power is connected to 50amp source. The jack works but doesn't receive normal power? Any suggestions to look at before actually rerouting the power jack with the inline fuse straight to the battery as the instructions actually show? Hope this makes sense.....the way it's wired into camper there is no power to the fuse.....if bypass camper wiring and go from battery to inline fuse jack works fine all day long.
Gmansoasis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmansoasis2008 View Post
I have a 2015 Jayco 29qbs. My electric tongue jack has quit working using the normal switches on the jack turn on and other switch to raise/lower. I have checked the inline fuse and it is good. The wierd thing about this....if I use a set of jumper cables and connect to the positive on the battery and the bottom end of the inline fuse so that power is routed through the inline fuse the jack will work. It does not work when normally connected. I checked power to the trailer side of the fuse and it is not receiving the normal power there is 0 volts. Battery is charged and main power is connected to 50amp source. The jack works but doesn't receive normal power? Any suggestions to look at before actually rerouting the power jack with the inline fuse straight to the battery as the instructions actually show? Hope this makes sense.....the way it's wired into camper there is no power to the fuse.....if bypass camper wiring and go from battery to inline fuse jack works fine all day long.

You have basically narrowed down your problem to a problem with the wire coming from the positive terminal to the jack fuse. The positive wire is either broken somewhere or not connected to the batterys positive terminal. Chase the wire from the fuse all the way to the battery and you will find your problem. This should not take that long since it is a short run from the jack to the battery. PS the jack is negative grounded to the frame thru the bolts connecting it to the frame. Easy fix.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You have basically narrowed down your problem to a problem with the wire coming from the positive terminal to the jack fuse. The positive wire is either broken somewhere or not connected to the batterys positive terminal. Chase the wire from the fuse all the way to the battery and you will find your problem. This should not take that long since it is a short run from the jack to the battery. PS the jack is negative grounded to the frame thru the bolts connecting it to the frame. Easy fix.
If the positive wire looks good, I would remove one of the mounting bolts (make sure the tongue is secure), and clean the metal where the bolt touches the jack mount and TT frame. I add a star washer to get a good bit into the steel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Thanks

Thank you for the helpful direction. I took a look at it this weekend a little further and traced the wire back to a junction box on the front frame. There are multiple wires connected together here including the electric tongue jack power. There is also an additional 30 amp blade fuse located in a wrapped pigtail sort. Checked this fuse and found it blown. Replaced it and all junctions have power once again including the tongue jack. I'll have to keep this in mind for future reference that there is this fuse in addition to the slow blow 30 amp inline fuse at the tongue jack. Thanks again for the input.
Gmansoasis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Had same issue last year and again in the first trip this spring. Found that where the wire goes into the terminal it has a very bad crimp. Replaced connector used heatshrink and problem solved.
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

Returning from a trip south a couple years ago when discovered I had lost all power to the nav lights on my TT. Checked fuses etc but nothing. A stop at a great dealer [Tiffen] I just happened to pass and an hour later I was on the road again with lights. Problem was a loose connection in that same junction box. Seems Jayco has a habit of connecting multi wires with a standard twist on cap. The over loaded cap allows some of the wires to loosen and several bad things can happen depending on which wire comes loose. In my case it was the common ground going to the frame. The dealer connected a separate ground by screwing it directly to the back of the connection box which is connected to the frame.

If you have a sudden loss of 12 v power in your TT and everything with the battery and fuses checks good, I would look inside the connection box and fiddle with the wire connections inside.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

I ordered one of these today. I'm hoping it fits. If not I will go with a different option but figured it was worth a shot

https://smile.amazon.com/Auto-Reset-...313784&sr=8-16
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote