Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #1

Enclosed undercarriage Maintenance

Hi guys, I have the cold climate or winter undercarriage package on my trailer. 2 years ago the dealer did some warranty work and had to go in through the undercarriage material. They put a patch over it and used some mesh type tape to close it up. Well over the years water, dirty, and grime have loosened one side. I did a temporary fix with duct tape... But that only held for about a week. Has anyone ran into this or know of a good heavy duty mesh type tape that may work for a repair? The tape would need to be as wide or wider than duct tape.
Cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

On my old 5th wheel, I had to open mine to replace a hydraulic hose. I was able to cut it open on a seam in the steel running across the width of the trailer.
I bought an 8' piece of aluminum to splice it back together and used self tapping screws to hold in place.
Never had a problem after that.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

On my old 5th wheel I had to open the underbelly to replace a hydraulic hose that was leaking. I cut it open on the steel seam running across the width of the trailer.
When putting back together I bought a piece of aluminum a couple of inches wide and 8' long and used self tapping screws. Never had any problems with it and if
You need to ever get under there again you can easily.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Sorry for double post......
Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Unfortunately, my cut runs parallel with the trailer so this isn't an option. However I do like your idea so I may run a piece of aluminum from one cross member on the frame to the next. Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote