Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #41

Great idea BAP we should do the same.
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #42

As my brother who worked for GM for 52 years said the one thing people often forget is the stopping of the tow vehicle. Make sure your TV is meant to tow that weight. I was out for a walk this week and we have a 13k decent into our town and a truck and 5W went by me and his brakes were so hot I could smell them for a longtime.
I have a F350 and towed ours over a summit with a 10K decent and never touched the brakes once just used the tow haul and it kept my speed right where I wanted it.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
If you don’t have the manual for your hitch, go onto the Equalizer website and under Support, you can download it. The manuals contain everything you need to know about setting the hitch up and what the torque values are. I my copy in my truck so that I have it if I need to check anything out.
It doesn't have the torque spec for the spring bats at the hitch. I never could find it there.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
It doesn't have the torque spec for the spring bats at the hitch. I never could find it there.
I contacted Equalizer Support <equalizersupport@progressmfg.com) and their response was:

Those bolts can be torqued from 60-90 Lbs. with a new hitch this is a very common issue, we actually over torque them from factor to help them develop a wear pattern. So if this is the case for you, just continue to use the hitch and it will start to loosen up. if you have had the hitch for a long time, just retorque them to 60lbs.

Hope this helps.
Macaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw View Post
I contacted Equalizer Support <equalizersupport@progressmfg.com) and their response was:

Those bolts can be torqued from 60-90 Lbs. with a new hitch this is a very common issue, we actually over torque them from factor to help them develop a wear pattern. So if this is the case for you, just continue to use the hitch and it will start to loosen up. if you have had the hitch for a long time, just retorque them to 60lbs.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the info. I just retorqued mine. I had it set at 100ft/lbs.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #46

That’s what ours was set at I think we originally set it at 70 since then have moved it to about 80 once it got broken in.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #47

I re-torque mine occasionally (when they feel too loose) to 60#, and I can barely move 'em the first few times afterwards.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #48

Just towed our TT home, hook up and unhooking is getting easier and easier. Guess mine is "broke in" or I'm getting a little better at this WDH game.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote