Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Filling fresh watertank

After a year of owning our 24MBH Whitehawk I've noticed we never have a full 3/3 tank of water when we arrive. At home I will fill with a garden hose until water comes out the tank overflow hose under the trailer. I then shut off the garden hose and wait until the water is done draining from the overflow hose and than shut off the overflow valve ( I installed last year to stop siphoning while traveling) . After waiting a couple minutes for the water to settle i check the gauge and it says 3/3. When we get to our destination i open the shut off valve on the overflow , flip on the pump and water heater and check the gauge and sure enough it always reads 2/3 ?. Does the pump , lines and heater hold that much water ? Should I prime the whole system at home and then top off the tank ? Should I not wait until the overflow hose is done draining and just flip the shut off valve to hold in the water ?
Thanks Allen
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #2

Could just be the settings for your sensors.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Water siphons out while you're driving. Common complaint with other brands as well. Many have installed a valve on the overflow, you just have to remember to open it when filling the tank and after you arrive at the camp site.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Water siphons out while you're driving. Common complaint with other brands as well. Many have installed a valve on the overflow, you just have to remember to open it when filling the tank and after you arrive at the camp site.
I have installed the valve on my overflow to prevent siphoning.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
After a year of owning our 24MBH Whitehawk I've noticed we never have a full 3/3 tank of water when we arrive. At home I will fill with a garden hose until water comes out the tank overflow hose under the trailer. I then shut off the garden hose and wait until the water is done draining from the overflow hose and than shut off the overflow valve ( I installed last year to stop siphoning while traveling) . After waiting a couple minutes for the water to settle i check the gauge and it says 3/3. When we get to our destination i open the shut off valve on the overflow , flip on the pump and water heater and check the gauge and sure enough it always reads 2/3 ?. Does the pump , lines and heater hold that much water ? Should I prime the whole system at home and then top off the tank ? Should I not wait until the overflow hose is done draining and just flip the shut off valve to hold in the water ?
Thanks Allen
Most likely just the leveling of your trailer. Modern TT have very long/wide but short tanks. Depending on where the sensors are mounted, just a small difference in level could change the reading. Since you already plugged the vent lines, the water is not leaking out.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

If you do not have an enclosed underside, just look up under and take a look at the tank. You can see the water level.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #7

We fashioned a cork to fit in the overflow tube so while traveling it doesn't come out. You just need to be sure to remove the cork when not traveling.
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

Yes, the hot water tank could take up enough water to drop the level reading down. Filling the tank and lines after arriving is pulling is using about 16% of the tank capacity (6 gallons for the hw tank, maybe another gallon in all the lines). Depending where the sensor is located, this could be enough to change the reading.

I would suggest trying to top up the full system one time at home to see if you still have an issue after arrival. Or just check the level before you switch the pump on at the site to see if it still reads full.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

If I'm hauling water (and I'm almost always traveling with at least some water in the tanks), I will prime the system on "city" water at home before I fill the fresh tank. This is especially important when I want to travel with full tanks. I don't want to "waste" that water filling up the lines and HW tank, I'd rather just have it all full when I leave.

I will also get all the air out of the system at that time. No sense dealing with all the spitting and splurting if you're working with just what you have in your tanks; get that stuff all done at home so you're full and set when you leave!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If I'm hauling water (and I'm almost always traveling with at least some water in the tanks), I will prime the system on "city" water at home before I fill the fresh tank. This is especially important when I want to travel with full tanks. I don't want to "waste" that water filling up the lines and HW tank, I'd rather just have it all full when I leave.

I will also get all the air out of the system at that time. No sense dealing with all the spitting and splurting if you're working with just what you have in your tanks; get that stuff all done at home so you're full and set when you leave!
Will try priming the entire system and getting out the air at home on our next outing.