Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

First trip. Where do bicycles go??!

We have the Jay Flight SLX 242 BHWS TT. There is not a ladder on the back of the TT and we tow with a Tahoe. We have four bikes to haul. Two adults and two kid bicycles. We leave on the 16th for our first camping trip in this TT. I'm thinking our only option is to put the bikes inside the TT. Any other ideas in this short amount of time? I do have Amazon Prime.

Thanks. I have I been reading the threads getting ready for our first trip!!
asimms21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimms21 View Post
We have the Jay Flight SLX 242 BHWS TT. There is not a ladder on the back of the TT and we tow with a Tahoe. We have four bikes to haul. Two adults and two kid bicycles. We leave on the 16th for our first camping trip in this TT. I'm thinking our only option is to put the bikes inside the TT. Any other ideas in this short amount of time? I do have Amazon Prime.

Unless you have time to have a receiver added to the frame (not the bumper) for a bike rack, then inside is probably best. Be sure to pad with blankets or some padding to avoid scratching or tearing of trailer furnishings.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Search for Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk. It allows for any 2" receiver bike rack to be mounted to the A Frame of your trailer. Then you could add something like an Apex 4 bike carrier and you should be good to go as long as you have clearance between the rack and the back of you tow vehicle.

My new trailer came with something similar from the factory.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimms21 View Post

Asimms21 - Since you've got an SUV (vs. Truck), your only options are inside the trailer or with a bike rack on back. Keep in mind that strapping something on to the bumper will cause the bumper to fall off from bouncing and vibrations -You'd lose the bumper AND all your bikes. You'll want to do an under-mount receiver hitch that attaches to the frame. Check your warranty info as this may void your factory warranty if the receiver isn't already there. - Good luck and happy camping!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #5

If you put the bikes inside the trailer, be sure they cannot tip to one side and hit a stove burner knob! This happened to us once and when we arrived at the campground and opened the door, the trailer was filled with propane. Luckily, no sparks!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

Check out Mount-N-Lock. Have one on our trailer and it works.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #7

Roof rack?

If your SUV has roof rack bars you can add a roof bike rack that can be removed when not in use. This won't effect your trailer in any way, and would be available for non-camping excursions. Yakima makes bars & mounts that clamp (& lock) on your roof side bars. Then bike rack attachments mount on the cross bars. Advantage also if you were to carry a canoe or kayaks with available optional carriers. Good Luck.

Lee

2011 F150, SCrew, 5.0, 157" wb, ARE camper cover (w/ Yakima racks)
2010 Jay Flight 22FB
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

I have a bike rack on the back of the trailer works fine, I have put the bikes on the bed in the trailer until I get it home next week
Make sure you can lock the bike rack on the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 001.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #9

We have for mounts installed under a fold up bunk. And a small wooden board with dividers to hold the rear wheels. Ours is a small space so 4 bikes is tight (3 750b adult bikes and one 24" kids bike but our solution works with 4 adult bikes). Takes a bit of time to get them in place but they don't move in travel and have had no damage over thousands of kilometers. Can't say the same for when we had bikes leaning on each other with packing blankets over them...they move and bits slip out and scratch stuff up or pedals can get caught in spokes.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #10

Big bad-a-boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If you put the bikes inside the trailer, be sure they cannot tip to one side and hit a stove burner knob! This happened to us once and when we arrived at the campground and opened the door, the trailer was filled with propane. Luckily, no sparks!

Murff
Good advice Murff but hate to think people are rolling down the road with the propane ON while their stuff is bouncing around in the trailer.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Won't let me edit my post. It's FORK mounts, not for mounts.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

You know your family so s/b able to give a true assessment of how much use the 4 bikes will get on the outing. Our observation over a 3 decades is that by in large, bikes arrive on a rack, are leaned against a tree, and then reloaded on to the rack a few days later. The same with kayaks with many of them never leaving the rack on the tv. My point is as you gain experience you will find out what is needed or gets used on a camping trip. Maybe its the person [Me] who is responsible for loading and unloading that sees this first.

We have taken 1 bike with us on our trips south for the last few years. My wife likes to ride around the state park etc and gets a fair amount of use on our trips. I do not ride and if I need to make a quick trip to the CG store for ice, I ride her bike, which reminds me why I don't like to ride. For several years we carried the bike inside the TT. It was easy to lean it against the end of the bed and secure it in place with a couple bungie cords and a blanket to protect the bed. When we upgraded to our WH we popped for a ladder mounted carrier that works very well.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #13

I have a similar issue. TV is a Yukon Denali, need to transport 4 bikes. Inside the truck isn't an option. I don't like the idea of bumper mounts.

A week ago I ordered one of these for transporting our generator.

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...-carrier/70918

Now we only really go one place where we dry camp along a river. Kids are so busy tubing down the river we don't need the bikes there. So my initial plan is generator on the shelf when dry camping at the river. They also make a storage system for bikes using a similar design, I will likely modify this one to do both (not at the same time). It is sitting in the box in my shop now and I haven't had time to look at it yet.

I may only transport two of the bikes that way though. I also started another project to transport bikes in the dinette. To do this you will need some fork mounts and reinforce the dinette bases. Mine were 1/8 plywood and recently I replaced those with 1/2". I just used the old ones as a pattern and cut new ones. That is already done. I just need to order up some of the fork mounts and put it together.

I will likely go with these Fork Mounts. They are about $14 each at Amazon.

Here is a link to someone that did this same modification on another camper with lots of pics.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...els-44515.html

The nice thing about this is I access my storage by removing these bases to the dinette. When I don't need the bike rack when we get there, just flip the lid over and put the table and seats back.

I have been holding off right now because my kids have bikes without quick releases on the front wheels. My son is due for a new bike anyhow so I want to get that first so I know where to place the mounts. Or I have been thinking of just putting my bike and my wife's bike inside and using the modified A frame system mentioned first for the kid's bikes.

I did test fit my Canondale and my Wife's Specialized and it will work. I just have to mount the fork mounts so they bars are turned enough as I am concerned with them banging into the wall or window. I guess I could turn the bars as well. I also will likely run a strap through the back wheels so they don't bounce around.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #15

I use a front mounted receiver hitch. You can find them from etrailer.com & on Amazon. You can then use any receiver hitch mounted bike rack you want.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #16

Check out this rack. Arms fold down out of the way when not carrying bikes. Holds up to 4 bikes.

https://www.yakima.com/longhaul

And use these to reinforce the rear bumper. Ups the weight carrying capacity of the bumper and stiffens it for things like bike racks.

https://www.amazon.com/SafetyStruts-...s=Mount+n+lock

This will give you a secured receiver, if you need one. Definitely no shake due to a slightly oversized receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLoHitch-Mod...s=Mount+n+lock

These are what I use and have been very happy.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
bap

I question your tow vehicle has enough cargo weight capacity to carry any more weight on the tongue of the trailer or roof of the tv like people are suggesting. You need some way of carrying them that puts all the weight on the trailer like a frame mounted carrier on the rear of the trailer or inside towards the rear.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #18

Great ideas!! One of these will definitely work for our family. Too late for this trip but we have a couple more trips planned.
asimms21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Good advice Murff but hate to think people are rolling down the road with the propane ON while their stuff is bouncing around in the trailer.
You'd be surprised how many of us do this. If you want to keep the fridge running, your propane is on. Based on the feedback here, I would wager more have it on than have it off.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote