Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #41

A lot of times the vehicle manufacturers will publish payloads for trucks in their bare bones, borderline useless configurations for marketing purposes. If you got your payload number from a chart or website, it's probably not accurate. You must reference the sticker inside the driver's door. I have a hard time believing that your truck weighs only 4800lbs empty. That being said, you're right - it will pull just about anything. Just about. Keep in mind that your hitch has limitations as well (not to mention rear axle) so you want to keep that stuff in mind when considering massive trailers like the 32BHDS. Half tons generally run into payload and hitch and rear axle limits first.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #42

I have a 2012 F150 with EcoBoost and it has no problem at all pulling my 2012 Jay flight swift 26th. The only thing I have found is with my truck I need to use an equalizer hitch.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #43

Thanks SkyBound. The weights I mention are from the door sticker. The curb weight is not listed there. It's on the registration. I still plan on having it weighed, but yes, it's an unbelievable truck. I've had it a couple weeks and I am amazed at the performance, fit, style, ride, etc...

(I get a kick out of all the blogs out there that have people posting negative stuff about the new 150. They obviously have not driven one nor likely have even seen one.)

The payload in my 150 is 2170lbs. I think I'll be ok with the hitch weight and passengers but I also plan on measuring the tongue weight once I have the trailer configured.

Would it pull better with a 250? For sure. Am I anxious? You bet. That's why I appreciate all the feedback I can get. My concern is in fact if the truck is too light. A strong cross breeze might be a challenge. I'll let you know. It's easy enough to upgrade the TV.
Rockford James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford James View Post
Thanks SkyBound. The weights I mention are from the door sticker. The curb weight is not listed there. It's on the registration. I still plan on having it weighed, but yes, it's an unbelievable truck. I've had it a couple weeks and I am amazed at the performance, fit, style, ride, etc...

(I get a kick out of all the blogs out there that have people posting negative stuff about the new 150. They obviously have not driven one nor likely have even seen one.)

The payload in my 150 is 2170lbs. I think I'll be ok with the hitch weight and passengers but I also plan on measuring the tongue weight once I have the trailer configured.

Would it pull better with a 250? For sure. Am I anxious? You bet. That's why I appreciate all the feedback I can get. My concern is in fact if the truck is too light. A strong cross breeze might be a challenge. I'll let you know. It's easy enough to upgrade the TV.
I personally don't think you would be better off with a 250, a Ram 2500/3500, yes but the Super Duty frames are lacking in strength. Before anyway flames me, I know personally as I had an F350 SD for 5yrs prior to my '14 F150 and I can say without a doubt my F150 handles a load better, obviously to a point. The heavier running gear of the SD will hold up better over time but for weekend warriors F150s are awesome trucks.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #45

I just purchased at 2015 F-150 with Ecoboost, sweet truck, but the manufacturer is very deceptive with payload capacity. Advertised payload for my 5.5 bed 4X4 Lariat SuperCrew is 2,020, but the yellow sticker in the door says 1,578...big difference! Be careful.
kobeskurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #46

I've worked at a Ford dealer for 27 years. All I have to say is, upgrade to a Super Duty if possible. If you're towing less than..let's say..10,000 lbs. (give or take), go with the GAS engine. (6.2L 385hp & 405 lb.ft. of torque). They are never in the shop and the cost is GREATLY lower to maintain than a diesel. I don't trust the new diesels..YET. They have some proving to do before I'd make that venture. After all, in the last 12 years, Ford has had 4 different diesels. (Up to 2002.5 7.3L, then the 6.0L, then the 6.4L, now the 6.7L). The new 6.2L gas engines have a tow rate of 12,000 lbs. TT and 5th. I would never bury it to those extremes but honestly, they could handle that...and more. The tow capacities are just "recommended"capacities and not set in stone. You can put upgrades on these vehicles to do alot more than Ford says. Been there..done it. As far as the F150. The EcoBoost is a great engine..while it's still in warranty. They have great torque and hp. Great for towing. Let's face it people, Fords were built for this. Always have been. Ford ran an EcoBoost loaded with 12,000 lbs. full buried throttle for 24 hrs. straight at a racetrack...no problems. Stopping only for fuel. Turbos were glowing red! You can search for this video on Ford's site or YouTube. What I'm getting at is..the new F150 will tow your trailer..no problems. Remember...TORQUE is key. You can have 800hp but without the torque..it's nothing but a fast truck. 3.73 gears are an overall better choice. 4.30's are available but, your gas mileage suffers greatly. Especially, if your tow vehicle is also your daily driver.

As far as Super Duty frames lacking in strength. I truly doubt that. I've worked on all makes and models. Ford frames are superior to ANY other manufacturer in every way. I guarantee my life on it. You can Google this and check for yourself. Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan...they can't compete. We had a display here at work of all the different manufacturers frames cross-cut. Not even worth comparing. Ford kills it in this catagory.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #47

Hi Kobeskurt,

Thanks for replying. Do you have the Max Tow and HD Payload package?
Rockford James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've worked at a Ford dealer for 27 years. All I have to say is, upgrade to a Super Duty if possible. If you're towing less than..let's say..10,000 lbs. (give or take), go with the GAS engine. (6.2L 385hp & 405 lb.ft. of torque). They are never in the shop and the cost is GREATLY lower to maintain than a diesel. I don't trust the new diesels..YET. They have some proving to do before I'd make that venture. After all, in the last 12 years, Ford has had 4 different diesels. (Up to 2002.5 7.3L, then the 6.0L, then the 6.4L, now the 6.7L). The new 6.2L gas engines have a tow rate of 12,000 lbs. TT and 5th. I would never bury it to those extremes but honestly, they could handle that...and more. The tow capacities are just "recommended"capacities and not set in stone. You can put upgrades on these vehicles to do alot more than Ford says. Been there..done it. As far as the F150. The EcoBoost is a great engine..while it's still in warranty. They have great torque and hp. Great for towing. Let's face it people, Fords were built for this. Always have been. Ford ran an EcoBoost loaded with 12,000 lbs. full buried throttle for 24 hrs. straight at a racetrack...no problems. Stopping only for fuel. Turbos were glowing red! You can search for this video on Ford's site or YouTube. What I'm getting at is..the new F150 will tow your trailer..no problems. Remember...TORQUE is key. You can have 800hp but without the torque..it's nothing but a fast truck. 3.73 gears are an overall better choice. 4.30's are available but, your gas mileage suffers greatly. Especially, if your tow vehicle is also your daily driver.

As far as Super Duty frames lacking in strength. I truly doubt that. I've worked on all makes and models. Ford frames are superior to ANY other manufacturer in every way. I guarantee my life on it. You can Google this and check for yourself. Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan...they can't compete. We had a display here at work of all the different manufacturers frames cross-cut. Not even worth comparing. Ford kills it in this catagory.

I guarantee you that Chevy and Ram have FAR stronger frames than a Super Duty. The cross sections you are talking about are from an F150 which has a fully boxed, hydroformed frame and it my opinion it's stronger than the super duty frames. Super Dutys still use a c channel frame which isn't weak but does allow for a ton of flex. I bet in 2017 the SD will have a fully boxed frame to keep up with the other guys.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #49

James,

I have the tow package--3.55 with 11,500 lbs tow limit. I didn't get the HD payload package, not available on the short bed. With the longer box 4X2 you can get up to 2,900 lbs and with the 4X4 you can get 2,650 lbs payload...probably take off about 400-500 pounds after equipping it. Still very impressive!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I guarantee you that Chevy and Ram have FAR stronger frames than a Super Duty. The cross sections you are talking about are from an F150 which has a fully boxed, hydroformed frame and it my opinion it's stronger than the super duty frames. Super Dutys still use a c channel frame which isn't weak but does allow for a ton of flex. I bet in 2017 the SD will have a fully boxed frame to keep up with the other guys.
Eh..doubt that. But..ok.

TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote