Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Fridge issues while driving

Newbie seeking information.

I bought a new 28BHBE a year ago and I’ve used it 4 times so far. The shortest trip was 900 miles round trip and the longest 2500 miles RT.

In my very first trip I didn’t turn on the fridge (Norcold N8X) until I was at the campground and I thought I had a defective refrigerator because it wasn’t cooling down fast enough for me but with the help of this forum I learned that these refrigerators take way longer to cool down, so I followed the recommendation I was given.

After the second trip I turned on the fridge 24 hours before each trip and kept it on while I was driving; however, I have encountered this problem in each trip.

When I stopped to fuel up I always go into the TT just to make sure nothing is floating around. What I’ve noticed (not all the time) is that the fridge light is red so I pushed the button once (no light) pushed the button again (green light) then continue to drive.

I also noticed that it has lost some of the coolness but as I mentioned not every time I’ve checked during the trip the light is red but I’d say that half of the time the light is red. That being said, I don’t know what’s causing it. I assume that maybe the TT vibrations while I’m driving caused this because there are some rough roads out there or uphills/downhills ....... I don’t know 🤷🏻*♂️..... maybe is something else.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Am I missing something? is the fridge defective?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

Flame may be blowing out, be sure the small cover in front of the burner is closed. It will only try to re-light 3 times and then is stops until you reset it if i remember correctly.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Just to make sure, you have it running on propane, right? If so, are you going up to higher altitude, i.e., above 5000 feet? I have a whole 'nother thread here about my problems with the Norcold on my 2018 SLX 267BHSW failing to re-light at higher altitudes when on propane. The thread describes a fix I discovered which worked great and fridge has worked flawlessly ever since. If you think that could be the issue, you might want to look up that thread.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #4

Yes, all times running on propane. One trip out of the four I was above 5000 feet. The others pretty much at sea level.

Would you please be kind to provide the link of your thread. Thanks
gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

Interesting I also have a 28bhbe but no issues running it on propane, however I'm interested in knowing what is the workaround if going over 5000ft
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Interesting I also have a 28bhbe but no issues running it on propane, however I'm interested in knowing what is the workaround if going over 5000ft
SAME HERE,
Pleaser post the link to your thread.

Thank you

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

Here you go:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ved-58063.html
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote