Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2022, 08:22 PM   #1

Generator

Hello guys, I own a 264BH 2022, with 15000 AC unit. What would you guys recommend me as a generator to run everything, including the AC? I’ve found an affordable option on Amazon with good reviews, but I do trust a lot more your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
23A418C1-2562-4BED-82FB-D091717D20F9.jpg  
raphaelnpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:28 PM   #2

The generator you shared is likely a fine generator and would last a long time. However, many people would have an issue with it because it is likely loud and very heavy which would be hard for many to load and unload.

Most RV'rs suggest using the smallest generator you can get by with (a step up from the lowest would be better stated) and if needed two of them linked or one ~2500w or larger. You can use a lower powered generator if you have an A/C soft start kit, so keep that in mind. Also, most prefer the quieter inverter based generators such as the Honda EU series and/or the similar other brands and generic branded less costly inverter generators. Noise can be very irritating for not only yourself but for others in the area. ~CA
Old 10-26-2022, 05:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the answer!! By any chance do you have the link for any of those similar do Honda but less expensive? And if you have for this AC soft start wound be wonderful as well. Thank you CA
Old 10-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #4

X2, as Craigav stated, do not get a open frame generator unless you plan on camping all by yourself, they are extremely noisy.

I have had decent luck with Champion generators. Look at a champion 3100 watt or similar. Mine would run one AC unit, but adding the microwave or electric water heater to the load was too much. About 100#, and available as a dual fuel and has a 30A outlet.
Some of the newer AC units seem to start easier, I can start and run one of my AC units with a single champion 2500 watt dual fuel on LP (49#) but there is little extra capacity left when doing so. It only has 20A outlets on it but can be connected in parallel with another one.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #5

Sounds good! If the 3100 runs my AC well, for how long it would be (with 1 full tank)? Sorry if I’m asking stupid question, that’s a whole new world for myself. I’d like to buy a generator with good price that I could run pretty much everything on the RV. The sales rep where I bought told me try to find something 4000 or bigger. But I’m glad you’re saying the 2500 or 3100 wound work as well. Because I’ve just bought the camper so I want to save as max as I can at this moment.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #6

My experience is that my usage with various generators results in about .75 gallons per hour (gph) in the summer time. It is hard to know exactly as the A/C runs a lot on a hot summer day and a lot less on a summer night. I suspect it likely runs 1.5 gph if the A/C never stops and perhaps .5 gph overnight if the A/C is off more than it is on. One advantage of the inverter style generators is that they can idle down when the load is light.

I don't have any brand recommendations, as ARoamer stated Champion is a good value. One other thought is that I wouldn't go with less that 3000w unless you get a soft start kit for your A/C. You can search "A/C Soft Start" in the search option. In some threads you will find with that search some RV'rs stating that they can run their A/C with 22~2500 w inverter generator. One other thought, many generators (inverter or not) state their max "starting" wattage but have a lot lower running watts specification. So, look into the details of any generator you are interested in and don't just compare the starting watts, also compare the running watts. ~CA
Old 10-26-2022, 08:22 AM   #7

BTW, the term you used regarding a generator that can "run everything" has two meanings, run everything for most RV'rs means that everything can run, but not necessarily at the same time. In other words, trying to run the A/C, Elec water heater, Microwave, and other items (2 or more) at the same time would require a very large generator and even then may trip the main breaker. Running everything one at a time though is more inline with the ~3000w generator size suggestion. With that, you can run one heavy use appliance at a time, along with smaller usage items like the tv/radio and lights. ~CA
Old 10-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #8

Perfect Craig, thank you very much for the recommendations.

I’m already trying to find a inverter generator of 3000 or more. And about where to Install? What would be your recommendation? I’ve just called the store where I bought my RV, and she told me they’d install in the back of the RV. But is it not dangerous? Would no be better instal in that compartment next to the fridge? All already connected and with a switch to turn in on from the inside of the Rv? What would you say?
Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #9

The generator you shared and most smaller generators are not designed to be "installed". In other words they would simply be stored until needed and then taken out of the storage location and then used. When I owned a Travel Trailer, I would keep the generator in the bed of the truck and run it in the truck's bed when needed and when traveling and only take it out when I was setup to stay a while. I also would use a strong chain and lock to help keep it from walking away when I wasn't looking.

To have an installed generator, you will likely find that Onan makes most of them and in fact is what is installed in my Class C. The Onan generators are designed for semi-permanent installation compared to portable generators and cost new $4~5000.00 (plus installation). If you have a strong desire to have an installed generator, then you really need to get further guidance specific to your RV as to what the RV can support, weight limits, fuel tank (many run on propane), wiring, etc. Personally speaking, I wouldn't recommend having an installed generator in a RV trailer for most people and instead use a portable generator. That way you can use the generator for home use as needed, leave it at home if you are going to an RV park w/elect, and for other similar reasons... cost being one of the main reasons. ~CA
Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #10

Perfect. Thank you very much.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

I have the Harbor Freight 3500. Works great. Runs everything. I have 2 AC's which I can run 1 at a time. I cannot run the AC, Fridge, electric water heater at the same time so I use gas for the water. Very quiet
Old 10-26-2022, 11:16 PM   #12

Oh my, that would be a loud one. Good for a farm, though. Manual says it is <74 db.

30 amps is 3600 Watts.

I have been using a 6500 watt Honda inverter for several years...400 pounds... ouch! Overkill, but harder to steal.

I bought my 4th generator earlier this year, a Champion Power Equipment 4,650/3,650-Watt Inverter with Paralink & Remote Electric Start, 200993 from Tractor Supply online, 100 pounds.

Used it off and on for 5 weeks, 2 weeks solid in Great Smoky Mountain NP. No issues. I carry it on the back of my trailer on a hitch hauler.

Fuel consumption good. If running all night for A/C or something, fill it at bedtime and it should still be running when you wake up.

Whatever you get, be sure and read the instructions and warnings. This one says do not start or stop it under load. I would turn off the main breaker before using the remote to stop it to avoid going outside.

By the way...several (maybe all?) national parks prohibit generators that exceed 60db. This Champion is rated at 59db.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #13

We also have a 264BH and have used the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 for 3 years. It is perfect for our trailer electrical needs.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #14

I’ll take a look at this one. Runs the AC well? My ac is 15000
Old 11-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #15

Pay attention to the amp rating on the outlet on the generator. My Predator 4K has only a 13A rating; can't run the microwave which exceeds that. My Champion 6K has only a 20A outlet which runs the 15K BTU a/c just fine along with the converter and one small tv but nothing else. If I want to run the microwave, I have to shut everything else off. I had bought and used these two generators for years before I bought my trailer, so I'd like to get a generator that can support 30A.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #16

I have a 2020 284BHS and I run mine off of a Predator 3500 Watt from Harbor Freight. Its the quiet run model. They are $930 right now but if you keep watching you can find them on sale at different times. I run mine at baseball tournaments and usually only have to refill the gas tank once for the whole day. I'm not running the fridge at those times but everything else is running and I have had no problem.
ChrisLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #17

I LIVE IN CANADA AND DONT KNOW WHAT MODELS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE USA. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH CHAMPION AND RECOMEND ONE WITH A 30 AMP RV OUTLET. YOU WILL NOT HAVE ISSUE RUNNING AN AC AND OTHER EQUIPMENTY AT SAME TIME. CHAMPIONS WEB SITE HAS LINK TO ESTIMATE POWER REQUIREMENT PER APPLIANCE NEEDS.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...use=Recreation
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #18

Smile Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelnpires View Post
Hello guys, I own a 264BH 2022, with 15000 AC unit. What would you guys recommend me as a generator to run everything, including the AC? I’ve found an affordable option on Amazon with good reviews, but I do trust a lot more your thoughts on this. Thank you!
I would suggest ...a inverter ...I presume you have 1 A/C/ unit? if so I have a cummins 4500 Inverter its is quite and weighs in around 100lbs.. Bought mine at campers world for about 950.00 2 years ago. heres the link

https://www.campingworld.com/cummins...or-118307.html

Cheers
LS
Larkn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #19

You'll need a 3.5 -4.0KW unit. Save your time & efforts on the cheap stuff out there & get a Honda portable or a Onan Quit 4.0 KW.

Your neighbors will love you!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkn5 View Post
I would suggest ...a inverter ...I presume you have 1 A/C/ unit? if so I have a cummins 4500 Inverter its is quite and weighs in around 100lbs.. Bought mine at campers world for about 950.00 2 years ago. heres the link

https://www.campingworld.com/cummins...or-118307.html

Cheers
LS
If these were not Chinese, I wouldn't hesitate. Brand names mean nothing these days. I'm leery of anything made in China after a few bad experiences. I'm sure not saying these are bad generators, most are Chinese made anyway, but been burned once on a Chinese made Champion, no parts were available during covid because of supply issues from China. I trashed it. Maybe Cummins-Onan keeps a stock of parts, I don't know.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote