Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #21

I see everyone has their own method of packing their bearing. Right now my TT sits on dirt and gravel that is on a slight slope. My wife came into some extra money and is treating me to a concrete pad for our trailer so I won't have to use plywood anymore when I service the trailer. Because it has been hard to service in the past I have used the e z lube in the past now I will be able to take the wheels and hand pack the bearing.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #22
Site Team

Wow! You've got a keeper there! It sure doesn't hurt to look at the bearings and races. It just might eliminate an unpleasant surprise down the road.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #23

Smile

I do not trust the e-z lubes so once or twice a season on a really hot day I give them two shots of grease and no more. I take my unit in every two years to have the dealer repack the bearings, check the roof and so on and have never had a problem. We put under 5,000 miles a year or less on it. It is a 23'rlsw model.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
To each his own, that's what a forum's all about. However, They're called Dexter EZ Lube hubs. Here's their website video....

https://www.google.com/search?source...GDLY#kpvalbx=1
Thank you for the link. It seems pretty straightforward and self-explanatory. It looks as though Dexter designed it for a specific purpose, and then they give you specific instructions on how to make use of that design feature.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #25

Your owners manual lists the approved greases. My 2015 manual lists Mobil 1 and that’s what I use.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #26

After considerable back and forth agonizing from reading informative discussions like this, I elected to do the zerk lube with the Lippert Superlube hubs on my 2018 SLX 267BHSW this year, after less than 5000 miles on the trailer since buying it new. Used Red & Tacky lithium based, which is supposed to be compatible with the original grease, which is important to get right per other stuff I've read (charts available via web search). Unweighted each wheel, spun wheel while slowly manually injecting grease, took about 1 and 1/4 large size tubes to get grease coming out the front on all 4 hubs, so buy at least 2 tubes when you set up go do this. Took the trailer on a 20 mile test run after, and checked hub temps by feel, which were warmer than I noted during use before, but not too hot to keep fingers on the hubs. 3 of the rubber plugs were expanded outward, and two had small cracks, and had a little bit of grease slung out on one wheel. Pulled the rubber plugs and removed some more grease with my fingers, and bought and used replacement rubber plugs (good to have these on hand), then did a second test drive a couple days later, warm but not as warm as first test drive, rubber plugs intact. Then took rig on a 1200 mile roundtrip, checking hub temps at every stop, hubs never even got to "warm". Also checked trailer braking with brake controller numerous times, did a 10% grade pass there and back, all went well. Point of all this is if you do the zerk thing for the first time, you may see warm hubs for awhile afterward, and be prepared to remove a bit more grease after it has expanded some during first subsequent miles of travel, and have more rubber plugs in case one or two expand out too much and crack.

I also plan to have bearings packed professionally, and brakes inspected, before next year.

Anyway, that's my limited experience, for whatever it may be worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #27

Thank you for the update, GL.

Please leave another update once you've had the bearings hand-packed.

So here's a question for the seasoned mechanics (or anyone my age or older): I seem to remember that packing car axle bearings were also a regular thing years ago. Why don't we hear about those being needed much nowadays. And more to the point, why would trailer bearings be any different?

Trailers still using "older technology"?
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #28

My frustration at times was not being able to get grease into some clogged zirks. Trying to keep the applicator from popping off the zirk. Came across this: https://locknlube.com/
Even just greasing the wet bolts, it could be helpful.

And this had good reviews if you decide to pull the wheels and pack the bearings:
http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench...ng-packer.html

Video demo/review

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #29

grease gun

My only experience involved having to replace all the brake components on a Montana 5th wheel bue t everything covered with grease. I owned it since it was new. I never greased the bearings - unless it was done at the dealer before I picked it up. When it was about three years old I took it to a trusted mechanic to have him eval the brakes.

2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 F-350, 6.7L, SRW, Bilstein Rear Shocks
Chesterfield, Missouri

billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #30

The EZ lube axles are great. I’ve ran them on boat and utility trailers for years. Boat trailers are submerged in water on a regular basis, so it’s a good idea to check them a little closer. If you remove them, then yes, repack by hand or use a hand operated bearing packer. Use regular wheel bearing grease if you want, but my preference is a good synthetic grease. Yes, it’s ok to use a hand grease gun; but go easy.....I’ve had many boats, campers, and utility trailers over the last 45 years, but have never had a bearing to go out. Jack the trailer up at least twice a year, make sure the bearings are adjusted correctly with no loose motion in them, spin the wheels and listen carefully. If you hear a dry gritty sound...pull them to inspect. If the sound good....rock on! Camper wheel bearings shouldn’t give you any trouble, but tires.......🤷*♂️
Glockguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I use a grease gun (manual, no pneumatic) and have had no problems. Just go easy when pressing down to insert the grease. Just take it slow and easy while spinning the wheels. I also believe that you should inspect the races and seals at least every 7500 miles on a TT.
I have had boat trailers and tt's for 50 plus years.when they came out with the bearing buddies I fully embraced that tech.Hand packing is a messy job and most guys wont resort to it.You can get bearing packer devices but over all I like the grease gun method.just be careful.its not a bulldozer you're lubing.Lthium based grease for the bearings or something you would use for CV joints is fine.just be sure it is water proof and has a good heat range.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #32

Just like Docbrown said.
rhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Afraid what I posted is very true. Little hand held grease guns exert a huge pressure. Do a little research and you will find the same info.
My oldest is a Nuclear Machinist, Pipe Fitter. Shift manager at a power company. He has told me the same thing many times. I'm a former heavy equip. operator many years ago. Don't know how many seals I saw with grease blown out of them.
As far as Dexters..........talk to a trusted RV Mechanic and they will tell you also that it's a great selling point but far from perfect..............just ask how many brakes has had to be done because of a shade tree owner blowing their EZ Lube seals.
something else to remember is you dont have to lube the axles every time you take it out.My rv shop recommended every 8000 miles is good enough.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #34

Send a message via ICQ to AV8R Send a message via Skype™ to AV8R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
what is the best grease and grease gun to use on a 2019 Jayco camper with the easy lube axles?

Thank you,
If you have the Dexter EZ lube axles, here is what happens when you use them, in less than 150 miles.

This is my 2019 Northpoint 387RDFS. Used the EZ lube system as directed, using a hand pump with Lucas red and tacky grease. Jacked up wheel, added grease via the zerk fittings while turning the wheel.

What happens is it blows out your inside grease seal, allowing grease to contaminate the breaks. Note the grease that contaminated the drum and brake shoes.

Conclusion, you have no brakes.

You need to do what I just did. Remove and clean the bearings, remove the grease seal, repack the bearings with a high tempreture - high viscosity grease the old fashion (correct) way, install a new seal, get all of the grease out of your brake drum, shoes, and brake assembly.

Note, you will destroy the grease seal when removing it, so you need new replacements before you start this job. e-Trailer was my source.

Here is one the the brands of grease that is on Dexter's spec sheet with a viscosity rating of 135.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
0120190615_134152.jpg   20190615_134149.jpg   20190615_134144.jpg   20190615_134141.jpg   20190615_134132.jpg  

AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #35

Check your wheel bearings on Jay Flight SLX trailers

We took delivery of a new Jay Flight SLX 264bhw back in May 2017. I decided to have the dealer check the wheel bearings this past week. We have traveled about 2500 total miles the last couple of years with this trailer. I am glad we had the dealer check it. It appears when Jayco installed the wheel bearings, they installed too much grease or too much pressure of grease. The seal was pushed out and grease was spreading throughout the wheel hub. Fortunately, the grease didn’t contaminate the brake pads, so the technician just had to clean up the grease before putting everything back together. All 4 wheels were like this. The dealership plans on contacting Jayco about it. I would recommend everyone check your wheels bearings, even if you don’t have a lot of miles on your trailer.
jmkdopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #36

Great video, thanks for posting! 😊
Old 05-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #37

Resurrecting an oldie, but I founds it very helpful from the standpoint of understanding the big picuture.

My one question: How do I determine what axles are on my '22 JayFlight 8 SLX?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #38

On mine there's a label in the middle of each axle towards the top.
Attached Thumbnails
20220523_122538.jpg  
Gusto_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I must be doing something wrong then. As I said 16 years and two trailers with EZ Lube, no issues.
You are doing nothing wrong. Been using a grease gun and Red N Tacky No. 2 grease on EZ Lube axles for 10 years and 3 travel trailers. Never an issue. I get my bearings packed every third year.

Camp4two
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
You are doing nothing wrong. Been using a grease gun and Red N Tacky No. 2 grease on EZ Lube axles for 10 years and 3 travel trailers. Never an issue. I get my bearings packed every third year.

Camp4two
How much grease do you pump into the bearings with the zerk fittings? I know you pump til the old grease comes out. Does that take half a tube or how much?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote