Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Have you checked your heater ducts ????

So I removed the 4 floor duct registers in my new 2019 248RSBW and what did I find lots of mfg. debris and bad taping.
So re taped all of the registers and from the bedroom I used the blower end of my vac to blow all the junk towards the bathroom which is the end of the ducting.
You can see some of the junk that blew out all over even into the tub.I know there is more in there.May have to use my leaf blower.
Attached Thumbnails
20191230_115831.jpg   20191230_113342.jpg   20191230_123022.jpg   20191230_113319.jpg  
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

What a surprise, huh? My 2017 Northpoint 375 had an issue of the rear bunk area not being very warm. Off the furnace I found 3 flex lines coming off the back and 1 off the side. 2 off the back and the side one went to the main plenum run and the other off the back went to the bathroom directly above. You get more CFM off the back of the furnace than the side. I rerouted those utilizing the side to the bathroom and the 3 off the back to the main. At the start of the main where the flex lines connect to it was very poorly installed and taped. I repaired all that and about a foot down found an open hole in the bottom of the plenum along with another hole right next to that with a smaller flex line coming off that being used to heat the underbelly area. Why??? I have no idea when the furnace is located less than 2' from that flex line. That furnace radiates so much heat, it heats the underbelly area just fine. I took that small flex line off and taped off both holes. At the start of the main plenum run, before I did my repair to it, I blocked off the registers except for the end and used a leaf blower to blow all the debris to the end. What a mess i had in the bunk, but nothing a vacuum couldnt fix. I did my repair and also taped off the first register in the plenum which is right by the thermostat. Now the bunk has WAY more CFM coming out of it and is much warmer. The main living is still warm. Even after using the side furnace flex line to the bathroom above, it's still pretty warm in there along with the master room up front. I may get register covers that are adjustable and give those a try to regulate the heat up front a little better.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

The last duct in the bathroom was not fully closed on the ends inside.
I started to tape the openings but thought maybe they were left that way to heat the plumbing.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

Last summer, thanks to this forum, I sealed up the hot/cold side of my AC unit and sealed the ceiling ducts to prevent cold air from going into the roof area, and that resulted in a huge improvement in cooling my trailer.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html

Now I need to go look at my heating registers and duct. My trailer gets nice and toasty all ready, but now you have me curious about construction junk laying in the duct. You would think the installers would take a little pride in their work and vacuum out the debris when they were finished.

I did use some window screen to cover the bottom of the plastic registers to keep dog food and other junk from falling into the duct work. Take them out about every now and then to dump the junk that has fallen in.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

Ducting is a pain. I re-sealed with aluminum tape and installed floor filters.

Attached Thumbnails
Register filters.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

I’ll be checking mine once home from this trip. Last night I got up late and realized I’d left a light on the basement storage. How did I know this you ask? The light coming from my floor vent in the bedroom. I think something’s amiss.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I’ll be checking mine once home from this trip. Last night I got up late and realized I’d left a light on the basement storage. How did I know this you ask? The light coming from my floor vent in the bedroom. I think something’s amiss.
I noticed that the last duct in the bathroom was not sealed on the ends.
I was wondering if this is to allow warm air for the underbelly to keep plumbing warm?
Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

LOL! Those cuts are REALLY something special!! Looks like the worker had a seizure running the jig saw!!

SMH...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Ducting is a pain. I re-sealed with aluminum tape and installed floor filters.

This is what I will be getting for mines, thanks I needed these install while we are not using our fiver.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #10

I just did all of mine vents for the a/c and now I have to go back out to storage and check the ones for my heat.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote