Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Help------ humidity in our hummingbird

Hi folks,
We have a hummingbird 16mrb.We just spent a week on the northern California coast. Every morning when we got up the Windows and parts of the ceiling were wet( drops ). Does anyone know how we can stop/minamize this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Mark
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

Did you leave a roof vent open? Most condensation is from poor airflow and or running the furnace which will throw moisture throughout the RV.
Small elec heaters cure the furnace issue. A lot has to do with the insulation in the RV. Thinly insulated RVs will suffer more so.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Thank you for getting back to me! We didn't have the roof vent open(we will now),I also have a small electric heater that we will try. I don't think the hummingbird is overly insulated so there's not much I can do about that.
Shorty ( that's my wife of 41years ) and I leaving for Bangs Texas in a couple of weeks,I will let you know how it works out!

Again Thank You very much.
Mark
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

Normal humidity from breathing and cooking is amplified in a camper. Poor insulation allows the warm humid air to collect on the cooler surfaces of the ceiling and windows. You may find that an electric space heater sufficiently dehumidifies the air, or you may find you need to run a dedicated dehumidifier or simply leave a roof vent open.

The propane furnace adds to the moisture level, as it is a byproduct of the furnace. We generally like to use one or 2 space heaters overnight, rather than listen to the sudden and loud on/off noise from the furnace and fans. It also helps that electricity is cheaper to burn than propane!

Good luck, enjoy your camper! We leave on Wednesday for a 3 week trip down to Florida and back!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

I also use a small dehumidifier.
Attached Thumbnails
88A2E6A5-0EF1-48D1-8530-52D817AA13CB.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Normal humidity from breathing and cooking is amplified in a camper. Poor insulation allows the warm humid air to collect on the cooler surfaces of the ceiling and windows. You may find that an electric space heater sufficiently dehumidifies the air, or you may find you need to run a dedicated dehumidifier or simply leave a roof vent open.

The propane furnace adds to the moisture level, as it is a byproduct of the furnace. We generally like to use one or 2 space heaters overnight, rather than listen to the sudden and loud on/off noise from the furnace and fans. It also helps that electricity is cheaper to burn than propane!

Good luck, enjoy your camper! We leave on Wednesday for a 3 week trip down to Florida and back!
I am always amazed that so many RVers have a propane furnace that vents combustion products inside their RV and they attribute the moisture to furnace combustion.

An RV furnace vents to the OUTSIDE of your RV (or else you would soon be dead). Yes, burning propane can create moisture, but only if you are using a portable ventless propane heater. Then the combustion products stay inside the RV.

Moisture is a natural occurrence when you are camping in cold weather and you are heating the inside of your camper. You breathe. You sweat. You cook. You take a shower. All these add significant moisture to your RV. If you don't have some air movement (slightly opened vent and/or window, and possibly a small fan) you are going to have moisture build up on any cold surface.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

We do a lot of cool weather camping in our 26bh, and struggle with humidity. We do what we can to minimize it.

- As mentioned already, try an electric heater when you have hookups. We find our little 1500w heater keeps us toasty warm when it's 30F outside. If it gets really cold we'll use our onboard propane furnace, but supposedly, that propane puts water into the air.

- During a shower, run the bathroom fan (of course), and let it run for a good long time after. Ten minutes and more.

- When I steam vegetables or make rice, I run the fan and crack a window. Any moisture I can get out is moisture that doesn't show up on my windows.

- We have some overhead cupboard storage over the bed, and if items in that area make contact with the exterior wall, condensation will form there, so I try to keep it from touching.

- the more we keep the roof vent open, the dryer we seem to be. I like to avoid just leaving it open and letting the electric heater run a lot, but I figure if I can keep some air moving, it helps. My 26bh claims to have some sort of arctic package, but it's pretty laughable, and of course, all the windows are single pane. I say, do what you can to overcome the shortcomings that are engineered into your trailer to keep it's cost down.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #8

Thank you for your input! Have a great trip.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #9

Shorty says she ordered one Amazon. Thank you
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

I don’t use propane but I use an oil filled portable heater and thats all I need for the mid 40s and above.
Attached Thumbnails
496FE064-9815-4EA4-8CE4-4EE8E6AAA43E.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

Something else to think about is the climate that you are in. Northern California on the coast is a high humidity environment due to the relatively warm ocean and cooler land. The air passing over the ocean picks up humidity and then drops it when it hits cold land or in your case a cool RV. Just something to think about. This issue may disappear when you change locations.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote