Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Hole in floor under bathtub + leak(brand new RV)

Hello, I just purchased a brand new Jayco Jay Flight SLX from the RV dealer and upon my second week of camping my bathtub has been backing up so I looked underneath and there is a hole cut in the vinyl flooring directly under the gooseneck shape drain from the bathtub to the gray water holding tank. There is also a leak at that exact spot, a very slow drip, it looks like someone knew it was leaking and cut the hole in the vinyl flooring so it would not pool up and flow out into the hallway, is this normal? What am I supposed to do if it's not? My RV is under warranty as it is brand new and I've only had it for about a month, thank you greatly for any and all information / assistance, cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190821-203637.jpg  
PPC aNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Welcome to the Thor quality units.
Thor sucks
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #4

Cutting a hole under a leak like that is just good 'ol American ingenuity.

For someone to have cut the hole, they would have had to know about the leak, and that implies that someone tested the plumbing. I wonder if that happens at Jayco? I'd be surprised to learn that they do any testing, though.

Or, did the dealer do it? Who knows?

Either have the dealer do it under warranty, or if you want it done right.......

P.S. I'm surprised to see that there's no floor under the tub. Just vinyl in that area. Do they cut out a section of the floor right there to make it easier to run the drain to the gray tank? Looks like a mouse highway.

After all, these are the guys that didn't use hole saws to cut the holes for the plumbing in my 26BH. They just take their hammer off their tool belt and whack a hole in the floor where they're going to run a pipe. Then, the owner has to fix that mess to keep the mice out. Nothing they do would surprise me.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

I have a 2013 184 BH and it has the exact same square hole cut under the drain. I think it's the factories was of stopping a leak by letting it run down. Problem is the black plastic underbelly will hold the water like a tray and cause your whole floor to rot out (ask me how I know). This week's project has been sawing the whole back floor out and repairing rotted wood and floor. I'm going to replace the pea trap with a non leaking Hepvo valve. The pea trap they use snaps on and off with a rubber gasket and I'm sure that's yours and my trouble. Somebody heavy stands in the shower and it causes the tub to flex and the elbow to leak ( it won't leak when your checking it without someone in it). The tub is built up on a flimsy plywood table with 4 little 2x4 support legs. I built mine solid and now it probably weighs 30lbs but it won't flop or cause the tub to flex. You can jump up and down now.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My 24RBS has a similar cut-out under my tub P-trap..., but without my cutout one wouldn't be able to remove the P-trap in the event of a needed repair. The bottom of my P-trap is about 2" below the surface of the floor.

The drain pipe from my P-trap doesn't utilize the cutout.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
My 24RBS has a similar cut-out under my tub P-trap..., but without my cutout one wouldn't be able to remove the P-trap in the event of a needed repair. The bottom of my P-trap is about 2" below the surface of the floor.

Bob
I found it to be there for the same reason. If there’s a leak I’d check to make sure all the drain fittings are tight. We found a few along the way that were not as tight as they could be. Wait till you see the size of the hole drilled for the fresh water tube.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

On mine it is a terrible location to access. For now, I would slip a cheap disposable Tupperware type container under it to collect any water.

If the dealer is close, I would have them fix it (just because it is a pain to access). With a drip pan, you can wait a while, and add any other punch list items to the list.

This way you can still use the tt, while the weather is good.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #9

After replacing my entire plywood floor and laying new laminate I checked for leaks this weekend and had none in the elbow. Then once the grey tank filled up and backed up towards the tub the pea trap elbow sprayed like a hose at the swivel thread on connector that attaches to the tub drain. I would highly advise everyone to check their camper with their gray tanks full to see if they leak. I am replacing mine with non-swivel Glue together fittings this evening. My camper must have been leaking since new to get the rot that I had under this area, also since the grey tanks are so small it would have leaked anytime it was over-filled.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post
I have a 2013 184 BH and it has the exact same square hole cut under the drain. I think it's the factories was of stopping a leak by letting it run down. Problem is the black plastic underbelly will hold the water like a tray and cause your whole floor to rot out (ask me how I know). This week's project has been sawing the whole back floor out and repairing rotted wood and floor. I'm going to replace the pea trap with a non leaking Hepvo valve. The pea trap they use snaps on and off with a rubber gasket and I'm sure that's yours and my trouble. Somebody heavy stands in the shower and it causes the tub to flex and the elbow to leak ( it won't leak when your checking it without someone in it). The tub is built up on a flimsy plywood table with 4 little 2x4 support legs. I built mine solid and now it probably weighs 30lbs but it won't flop or cause the tub to flex. You can jump up and down now.
Hi Silverta 16,

I have a new Entegra Odyssey 31F (basically a Greyhawk) and I just noticed that my shower was leaking water through the floorboard above the wheel well. It was a lot of water. I’m going to take to camping world for repair, but there’s like a 3 week wait. My question is, do you think this is going to rot the floor everywhere? It probably leaked while we were using it for 2 days, and it’s winter now, so I’m thinking it won’t rot as severely as it may in the summer. The RV is now in Texas.
Snelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #11

[Quote]Snelles...question is, do you think this is going to rot the floor everywhere? It probably leaked while we were using it for 2 days, and it’s winter now, so I’m thinking it won’t rot as severely as it may in the summer.[Quote]

The P Trap on my 2019 248RSBW broke on the first trip.
Ours leaked for one day but I think in order for dry rot to start it would have to be wet for a long period of time just like houses.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
CAG

Quote:
I’m going to take to camping world for repair, but there’s like a 3 week wait.
Off of the original topic, but maybe not. I would not take anything to Camping World for anything especially repairs.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #13

Our 2009 Greyhawk had a hole under the shower pan, but it wasn't by the drain. It was a 9"x6" hole. I discovered it when the shower drain came loose and was dripping water under the shower pan, about 5 years after we bought it. I could clearly see the ground through the hole. There was a 1" bundle of wires going through that massive hole. I ended up cutting back the vinyl around the hole and used liquid nails and a piece of plywood to cover the hole.

We had a similar hole, just not as big, under the refrigerator (where the converter, inverter and ATS was located). Fortunately, they filled that hole with some silicone.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote