Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdl9 View Post
Had battery load tested and it is bad. Still under warranty so a new one arrives tomorrow. I will hook it and and monitor it and provide another update/conclusion
get a volt meter and see what the voltage is after you hook it up and plug it into your shore power.. sounds to me like you are over charging the battery...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #22

Update: as my last update says I got a brand new battery since it is under warranty. It is plugged into 30amp shore power and has been for about 24 hours now. I just checked the battery with a volt meter and it says 13.67 How does that sound? As a reminder the battery is an Optima AGM (D27M).
When unplugged from shore power everything that's supposed to run on the battery has so far.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #23

Also the battery has not even been warm since the new one was installed 24 hours ago and I have been connected to shore power ever since.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #24

Not sure that this matters or helps any but I read that in cooler temps that batteries can read a little high. The high today was 75 with it getting down to 44 last night. Just trying to give you all the info I can that might be applicable
kirkdl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #25

Batteries with a bad cell will get hot when being charged. I'm a little late to the party, but my VERY first recommendation would have been to take the battery to your friendly local auto parts store and have it tested. They can tell you in minutes whether it has a bad cell.

I would say you've solved your problem with one caveat. I would research the charging regimen suggested by Optima for that type of battery and ensure that your converter/charger is using the appropriate charging sequence for that type of battery. Then take your handy dandy voltage meter (you got one right?) and test the voltages that are being put into the battery at the various stages of the charging scheme AT THE BATTERY to ensure it's receiving the appropriate charge. Wet cell batteries are more common, so many 3-stage chargers are configured for them as opposed to AGM or GEL batteries.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #26

Sounds like converter may be overcharging battery.....
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Batteries with a bad cell will get hot when being charged. I'm a little late to the party, but my VERY first recommendation would have been to take the battery to your friendly local auto parts store and have it tested. They can tell you in minutes whether it has a bad cell.

I would say you've solved your problem with one caveat. I would research the charging regimen suggested by Optima for that type of battery and ensure that your converter/charger is using the appropriate charging sequence for that type of battery. Then take your handy dandy voltage meter (you got one right?) and test the voltages that are being put into the battery at the various stages of the charging scheme AT THE BATTERY to ensure it's receiving the appropriate charge. Wet cell batteries are more common, so many 3-stage chargers are configured for them as opposed to AGM or GEL batteries.

Thanks a lot for your input. This community has certainly helped me learn and save money. I am researching Optimas specs and trying to figure out the appropriate charging sequence for this battery.
I don't know where to begin in checking my converter. I don't even know where it is. Is there any safe type of troubleshooting I can do?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdl9 View Post
Thanks a lot for your input. This community has certainly helped me learn and save money. I am researching Optimas specs and trying to figure out the appropriate charging sequence for this battery.
I don't know where to begin in checking my converter. I don't even know where it is. Is there any safe type of troubleshooting I can do?
If you found the "Reverse Polarity" fuse, you should be pretty close to the converter. Mine is literally attached to the fuse/breaker panels in the same spot. I have a "Charge Wizard" (I think that's what it's called, sorry it's been a long time since I've had to look at it). Actually, I'm going to have to go back and look again at mine to determine (by model number) whether mine is 3- or 4-stage.

I wanted to verify that the charger was putting the appropriate voltage out to the battery at various stages. Mine has an override on the face that allows you to control which stage the charger is in (trickle/maintenance/storage (13.2V) Normal Mode (13.6V), Boost Mode (14.4V) or Equalization Mode (14.4 V every 21 hrs for 15 minutes)). So I overrode the charger through the stages and measured the voltage using my volt meter at the battery terminals. What I found most surprising was the level of voltage drop. I guess it was within spec, but it seemed like a lot to me.

Anyway, measure the voltage at the battery at the various stages of charging, and compare your observed voltage numbers to what Optima recommends.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #29

keep an eye on it with the VM every so often.. sound like the old battery just went kaput for some reason.. it does happen...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #30

CONCLUSION: It turns out the battery was just bad. It was fairly new but just happened to go bad and not sure why. The replacement Optima AGM D34M battery is installed and functioning properly. According to Optima's website and the charging info for my Bluetop D34M I should be at 13.2-13.8 volts during float charge. My meter read within this range at 13.67 so I assume I am good. I will keep an eye on it and update the thread if anything changes. I greatly appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I would have been lost without it!

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u.../charging-tips
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #31

Glad you got it sorted out. Look on your converter (it is the device that has the fuses) for a model number. From there we go and find the manual for it.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I realize you already have the manual.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #32

Converter model #: WF-8735-P
It's output says it's 13.6 volts. As I mentioned earlier the battery was reading 13.67 so it looks like it's doing good. All fuses and breakers look good. So I believe the problem is solved. Thanks again for the help!
I've uploaded photos just to be thorough for future readers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1674.jpg   IMG_1675.jpg