Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Hot temperature in Incandescents

In my JayFlight 2012 22FB the incandescent lamps in my large round ceiling light fixture seem to be running very hot recently. This wasn't the case previously. When I touched the glass cover on the ceiling fixture I almost burned my hand it was SO hot. A closer examination of the incandescent bulb seems to show the glass of the bulb itself has a faint dark but noticeable discoloration tint to it. Don't know if this a normal occurrence as a result of extended bulb usage. I have two questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced this issue where the incandescent bulbs are suddenly running hot?
2. If I change out all my incandescent bulbs in the camper for LED bulbs is there anything I need to know, other than chasing down part numbers of the replacements, prior to making the change? I'd like bulbs that run cooler.

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Eddie
Steamboat_Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat_Willie View Post
In my JayFlight 2012 22FB the incandescent lamps in my large round ceiling light fixture seem to be running very hot recently. This wasn't the case previously. When I touched the glass cover on the ceiling fixture I almost burned my hand it was SO hot. A closer examination of the incandescent bulb seems to show the glass of the bulb itself has a faint dark but noticeable discoloration tint to it. Don't know if this a normal occurrence as a result of extended bulb usage. I have two questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced this issue where the incandescent bulbs are suddenly running hot?
2. If I change out all my incandescent bulbs in the camper for LED bulbs is there anything I need to know, other than chasing down part numbers of the replacements, prior to making the change? I'd like bulbs that run cooler.
You *should* be able to find 12v LEDs to replace those incandescent bulbs. As for the heat problem, it's worth noting that incandescent bulbs turn 80 to 90% of the electricity they consume into HEAT, not light. Meanwhile, LEDs generate almost no heat at all, so you get a lot more light for the power consumed.

Meanwhile, heat could be causing the discoloration.

I have not done this swap - my new 23RLSW came with LED lights. Love it. However, it should be fairly easy to figure out replacements based on the existing bulb type. Amazon lists 10-packs of LED replacement bulbs for many standard 12v incandescent types, and they're not at all expensive.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Yup. We've swapped inca to led's in both TV's we've owned. Match brightness (lumens) and color (kelvin temp) with the original bulb and you should be a happy camper.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

I just made this swap yesterday, but the LED lights I ordered are rated for 12-18 volts. When your electrical system is charging your batteries, it can be delivering more that 12 volts...thus some 12 volt LED"can die prematurely and get hot as well. I would add that the 921 bulbs can be difficult to put in some of the sockets so you might have to shave the bases of the LED lights down. Do some reading on say Amazon and you'll see what I'm talking about... 18 watts compared to 1.5 watts per bulb makes a big difference in heat and battery life.... when camping with out hook ups....
Maax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just replace with LED's there are tow types full white and warm color. Full white in the double and single fixtures. Above beds I would use warm color (less bright). For the outside porch light they have a different type. I ordered them from china, it takes a while but they are cheap. So far I haven't had a burned one during full time in the last 6 mnd
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

The incandescent bulbs your are talking about, they are 120v AC right? Pretty sure in my 2012 JayFlight that fixture above the table only has power when I'm connected to a 120v source. If I'm right then you can't simply swap those incandescents to led. It's no the same as the 921 halogens that you can and should swap.

What I would do first is confirm the wattage on the bulbs currently in there are correct for the fixture. If the bulb wattage is to high you will get exactly the issue your are referring too. Secondly I would ensure all the connections are secure. But beyond that, if you have 120v fixture, you might find a led replacement with an Edison base -- if not swap out the fixture.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat_Willie View Post

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Eddie
All incandescent bulbs turn black inside as they age. It is the tungsten from the filament that plates itself to the "cooler" bulb wall as it boils off of the filament during operation. The standard household incandescent bulbs do the same thing, but since most of these are white coated you just don't see the dark, but if you have clear incandescent bulbs you will see it. Perfectly normal aging during use.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
Site Team

I purchased mine from Amazon. I have changed almost all of them .. Mine are all dc fixtures.

I made an inventory or bulb types and locations as I have 4 different type bulbs scattered throughout. I bought what others have raved about and have been very happy.

Only problem was the pons on some were smaller that the Incadescents and I had to bend them a little to keep them from falling out. Once that was I'd and corrected they are great. Less heat and hard to see the difference in light.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote