Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #1

Hot water tank confused

Hello just got my first camper yesterday and today starting the de winterization on it and am a bit confused. I heard and read here my model of hot water tank had no anode but plastic plug. But I unscrewed the plug and it’s a metal and looks like an anode with holes in it. It’s a 2013 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SWIFT 264BH have enclosed 2 pics one with the info plate and one with the anode.
Does all look ok? Or should I get a plastic plug.
Attached Thumbnails
3045AD4C-EA16-4B8C-9A31-AD4D9AEB4A38.jpg   59D24866-CB51-4AAA-88FE-D7A2F55DDF33.jpg  
Camperchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #2

Well the anode rod is doing its job by protection the hot water tank from corrosion and rust. You should buy a replacement anode rod soon. Don't use a plastic plug.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #3

Ty just wanted to make sure cuz heard Atwood was no anodes . Will get a new anode then.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:20 PM   #4

Your Atwood water heater has an aluminum tank and doesn't need an anode rod. Someone likely installed it thinking they did need one. However, you could get corrosion on the drain plug and threads if you use a metal drain plug and not a nylon\plastic drain plug. ~CA
Old 05-26-2023, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Your Atwood water heater has an aluminum tank and doesn't need an anode rod. Someone likely installed it thinking they did need one. However, you could get corrosion on the drain plug and threads if you use a metal drain plug and not a nylon\plastic drain plug. ~CA

This [emoji115]

Atwood/Dometic water heaters don't need an anode rod. In fact the new ones have the threads on the outside and a much bigger nylon cap (my old water heater plug wrenches don't fit).

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:14 PM   #6

Throw the anode rod away and just use a plastic plug. Amazon or a local RV shop will have them. Your heater doesn't need the anode rod. Flush it out good before installing the new plug. Use this one, not the cheap plastic one from Camco.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Team

This excerpt is from Atwood:

Why do Atwood water heaters not have anode rods?

The rod is made of a metal that sacrifices itself, so that corrosion will attack the rod before attacking the steel tank. Atwood brand water heaters generally don't use anodes because their tanks are made of Aluminum. Jul 28, 2022

Another from etrailer:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-327509.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That being said, there are plenty of aftermarket companies selling them. They are not needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #8

Ty all the majority I’m going to follow and have the plastic plugs and a washout wand arriving tommorow. Just hope the anode that was in it hasn’t cause any major damage. So glad I joined this forum.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperchris View Post
Ty all the majority I’m going to follow and have the plastic plugs and a washout wand arriving tommorow. Just hope the anode that was in it hasn’t cause any major damage. So glad I joined this forum.
The only damage would be at the threads due to dissimilar metals and you don't seem to have that issue.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
BTW, Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forums (JOF). ~CA
Old 05-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #11

The anode rod is not very "sacrificed". I found that nylon plugs work well and I think I bought ones that take a 7/8 inch socket.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Just my 2 cents

All my trailers , I've installed a ball valve with Teflon tape. Just in case the two dissimilar metals react.

Easy to winterize and if you lose the air cushion in the tank. It's easy to reestablish.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have replaced the tank on mine twice due to galvanic corrosion in 3 years. I definitely have an anode in this one. It all depends on the minerals in your water. It certainly doesn't hurt to have one. The water here is definitely a problem.
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #14

Those of you saying an anode is not needed can contribute to my fund for the 2 tanks I have now replaced in the past 3 years. They corroded through from the water in this area. This one has an anode and will continue to have one. An anode can't cause any harm but if you have the correct minerals in your water it can help.

I was in the boating industry for 40 years and any aluminum part needs anode protection in the right environment.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 06-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Hello just got my first camper yesterday and today starting the de winterization on it and am a bit confused. I heard and read here my model of hot water tank had no anode but plastic plug. But I unscrewed the plug and it’s a metal and looks like an anode with holes in it. It’s a 2013 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SWIFT 264BH have enclosed 2 pics one with the info plate and one with the anode.
Does all look ok? Or should I get a plastic plug.
The Atwood owners brochure does state that adding a anode rod WILL void the warranty.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
The Atwood owners brochure does state that adding a anode rod WILL void the warranty.
Then their warranty should pay for those tanks I bought. There is nothing that an anode can do to hurt the heater. The only thing inside the tank is water and the heating element.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 06-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #17

If the water was pure H2O, you wouldn't need an anode.

Some anodes can be made of magnesium, aluminum or zinc.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
If the water was pure H2O, you wouldn't need an anode.

Some anodes can be made of magnesium, aluminum or zinc.
There is virtually no water in a public system that is completely pure. They all have some minerals and chemicals in them either by accident or on purpose. In this area there is a fair amount of calcium and possibly sodium which would cause corrosion the same as saltwater. Some other areas have a high percent of sulphur where you get a foul odor.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 06-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #19

I have as well noticed that some folks are using a brass drain plug valve combo.(sold by Camco) That is a big no-no as aluminum and brass are very very dissimilar metals meaning accelerated galvanic corrosion! Use a good quality nylon/plastic plug or valve instead!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Then their warranty should pay for those tanks I bought. There is nothing that an anode can do to hurt the heater. The only thing inside the tank is water and the heating element.
Can't help you with that Cliff, simply stating what the manufacturer states regarding a anode rod.