Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

How do I hook up inverter?

I want to have all the 110V sockets run off my batteries when I am not hooked into shore power. I see inverters that would allow me to do that. I've never done this before and am wondering what the difficulty level is?
benjamin247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

What you are wanting can be somewhat more complex if you want to have every socket powered. It would involve adding a fairly large inverter that includes a transfer switch. In addition you are going to need to add several more batteries depending on your application. You could be looking at considerable expense.

What exactly are you wanting to power and for how long? Give us some more details and you will get more people to chime in.

Terry

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Eventually, I would like to add solar panels and use my batteries without hooking up for a 2-3 days. Within those days, I'd probably use power for my TV, DVD player, laptop, microwave (occasionally), vent fans, and interior lights.

I will be out of my RV with all appliances turned off during the day, so the day will be used to recharge the batteries.
benjamin247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Have you considered starting out with a small ultra-quiet generator like an EU2000 and seeing if that meets your needs? I think you are going to need at least 4 batteries to go that long and run that much stuff on inverter power. Not saying it is not do-able, but you are looking at a pretty considerable price tag I think if you add solar to the mix as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

I too have been thinking of a way to do this. Except the Microwave, because I know It draws a lot of watts. Everything else on my list (and yours) is doable with just a small 500 watt inverter which will operate off one or two batteries and be a lot easier to charge than a bank of four batteries.

If you are not willing to sacrifice the Microwave you are looking at probably a 2000W inverter, big cables, big battery bank, and lots of solar arrays. ($$$)

Either, way you would have to have a transfer switch and a way to isolate the converter from the inverter power. On my 22FB some outlets are shared with the converter circuit breaker.
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #6

Part of the problem with powering "everything" is that you really need a large inverter because you are putting it inline with your shore power. Your outlets will only be able to power as much as your inverter puts out so when you are back on shore, you could have trouble running coffee makers, etc if you dont have it large enough. Trying to break out some circuits can be a little more challenging and you have to be careful that everything still has the proper breakers. Also keep in mind that if you want to hook up everything, that you really need an Inverter/Charger and will have to do some additional rewiring. If you try to just hook up an inverter to your shore power, the regular converter battery charger will kick on and will try to charge the batteries at the same time as you are pulling from them (ask me how I know).

Take a look at this converter and pull up the manual. It shows typical wiring diagrams for doing what you are talking about.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...m-sw-3000.aspx

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you from doing it cause it would be a sweet setup! I have looked at doing it myself, but when I got into what would be required to do it right - the cost really pushed me back to a generator.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Have you considered starting out with a small ultra-quiet generator like an EU2000 and seeing if that meets your needs? I think you are going to need at least 4 batteries to go that long and run that much stuff on inverter power. Not saying it is not do-able, but you are looking at a pretty considerable price tag I think if you add solar to the mix as well.
IMO, 12V to 110/120V Invertors are great for small electrical items. For example, a low wattage LCD TV or perhaps a small 110/120V corded drill. Or, a 110/120V laptop - that only has 110/120V connection.

For the large amount of 110/120V devices and their power drain (in the OP's long long list), I'd recommend a "super quiet" generator as well. For more details on a recent review, surf:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=generator

If it were my setup.... I'd puchase / install Super Quit Generator on TT's main Power Cord. When shore power is available, unplug the TT's power cord from the generator and plug back into short power outlet. And, the generator would be sized for all "turned ON at same time" devices - using their startup power wattage (not their average running wattage needs). And where possible, don't use high hungary items with other other high hungary devices at the same time. re: TT's AC unit and 12V slide motor at the same time. Way "too much" power demand at the same time.

Hope this helps....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin247 View Post
I want to have all the 110V sockets run off my batteries when I am not hooked into shore power. I see inverters that would allow me to do that. I've never done this before and am wondering what the difficulty level is?
I have a 2000watt/4000 surge inverter... I am sure anyone with total confidence and understanding of how to follow instructions can hook one up.. HOWEVER I feel this is one thing best left to the experts.. On my new trailer I hooked my entire solar system up ran the wires for the inverter but had Solar Mike at www.thesunworks.com hook up the inverter... better safe than sorry
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

Inverter Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Part of the problem with powering "everything" is that you really need a large inverter because you are putting it inline with your shore power. Your outlets will only be able to power as much as your inverter puts out so when you are back on shore, you could have trouble running coffee makers, etc if you dont have it large enough. Trying to break out some circuits can be a little more challenging and you have to be careful that everything still has the proper breakers. Also keep in mind that if you want to hook up everything, that you really need an Inverter/Charger and will have to do some additional rewiring. If you try to just hook up an inverter to your shore power, the regular converter battery charger will kick on and will try to charge the batteries at the same time as you are pulling from them (ask me how I know).

Take a look at this converter and pull up the manual. It shows typical wiring diagrams for doing what you are talking about.

https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...m-sw-3000.aspx

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you from doing it cause it would be a sweet setup! I have looked at doing it myself, but when I got into what would be required to do it right - the cost really pushed me back to a generator.

Hi friends, I am new to this thread and to inverters.

We are installing Solar to our new Jayco fifth wheel 32ckts and just bought a 2000w Xantrex Freedom HFS Inverter/Charger to convert our power. Is there a way to hook up this inverter so that we can plug the trailer directly into it from its side shore connecting cable (knowing that it may charge the batteries while pulling from the batteries as Terry stated above) or do we have to hardwire the inverter directly into the pd4500 power control Center in the trailer? Do you know of any guides or manuals that explain where everything (cabling) is located within the trailer and how to connect it?

Many thanks.
Jessie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
I have never tried this but, I think I could make it work in our 24RKS. I would put a fuse between the battery and the inverter. Inverter as close to the batteries as possible. Run a new wire to a box (inside the boot) with one or two 15 amp breakers. I would than run a new independent inverter 110v electrical system. I would use a different colored plug so you know what system you are plugged into. Just thinking about it, I could put a plug on each side of the bed, run the wires down the tunnel that is there that already has wires and water lines in it. A plug could be put in the bathroom and under the table maybe even fish a wire to the TV on back of the bathroom wall. It would than take some thinking how to get the wire under the floor to the kitchen area. I have thought about this in the past, but it would be impractical for us. We get by with the Honda twins and a single 60 watt home made solar panel. The wife likes the A/C when it gets hot and we are boondocking. Running A/C on a solar system would require a pickup bed full of batteries and a made for a house solar system. You would have to study your TT or 5th wheel configuration to see if that will work. It also may be expensive. There may be lots of parts that I left out. No matter what you do I would use a pure sine inverter. They are better for electronics.
I say again I think I could do this in our camper with more studying.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:

In theory you can power up anything via an inverter and enough battery power. In a practical sense it pretty hard to achieve in a TT. Lot cheaper to just pop for a small genny like others have suggested and get on down the road. Forget the microwave and the rest is doable as long as you have a decent battery pack.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote