Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

How to tell if 2nd AC is ducted or not

I'm wanting to install a 2nd AC unit in my travel trailer.Its 50amp service and has the AC prep in the front bedroom. Dealer called Jayco and they cannot confirm if 2nd unit is set up for ducted unit or non ducted.My main problem is our bunkroom gets warm but the AC prep is in front room,of love to add the 2nd unit back there but may involve alot more work due a duct that sits right near the vent in ceiling where unit would sit,any help is appreciated

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

Pull the ceiling vent trim ring and you will see the duct work on each side if it's there. Also do the ceiling vents go past the vent? If so it has to be set up to connect the 2nd a/c to the duct work with the proper ceiling assembly.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

There is only a little outlet box in the ceiling with a sticker that says AC Prep in my bedroom.The bunk room where I'd really wanna add a unit has a ceiling vent and I would just add a non ducted unit to that room, but would need to run power to it

Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Pull the ceiling vent trim ring and you will see the duct work on each side if it's there. Also do the ceiling vents go past the vent? If so it has to be set up to connect the 2nd a/c to the duct work with the proper ceiling assembly.
I have a 15k ducted unit now for entire trailer,are you talking about that trim ring or in front bedroom

Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314BHDS View Post
I have a 15k ducted unit now for entire trailer,are you talking about that trim ring or in front bedroom
Front bed room.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Front bed room.
I'll try to look again,its only a small hole and it looked like they put insulation in that void where the AC should go

Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

I have a 28rls with the outlet box and sticker for 2nd ac in bedroom. On Jayco site I requested diagram of framing for 2nd ac option on my trailer. They sent me a detailed diagram of roof and detail of framing for all openings. Mine is not framed for ducted. The detail for bedroom ac and living room framing is different. You might send a request to Jayco for roof framing detail.
FYI- I have also requested and received from them diagrams of plumbing, both drains and fresh water. I also got them to send me diagrams of both AC and DC wiring.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins 5.0 diesel
elkivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
I have a 28rls with the outlet box and sticker for 2nd ac in bedroom. On Jayco site I requested diagram of framing for 2nd ac option on my trailer. They sent me a detailed diagram of roof and detail of framing for all openings. Mine is not framed for ducted. The detail for bedroom ac and living room framing is different. You might send a request to Jayco for roof framing detail.
FYI- I have also requested and received from them diagrams of plumbing, both drains and fresh water. I also got them to send me diagrams of both AC and DC wiring.
Yea I'll try that,the dealer called for me and Jayco said they could not confirm if it was ducted or non.But my main issue is the bunk room is always hot I'd rather put it in there.i have a roof vent there just would need to know if its built to hold a AC and of course running wires to it

Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Yea I'll try that,the dealer called for me and Jayco said they could not confirm if it was ducted or non.But my main issue is the bunk room is always hot I'd rather put it in there.i have a roof vent there just would need to know if its built to hold a AC and of course running wires to it
As a former engineer in the heavy truck/automotive industry, I have a hard time believing that they can't tell you if the drawings and bill of materials show it ducted or not - maybe you can try again at Jayco?

I understand there is a difference between being on the drawing and the operator deciding if he/she was in the mood to install it that day :-)
LawnFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnFlamingo View Post
As a former engineer in the heavy truck/automotive industry, I have a hard time believing that they can't tell you if the drawings and bill of materials show it ducted or not - maybe you can try again at Jayco?

I understand there is a difference between being on the drawing and the operator deciding if he/she was in the mood to install it that day :-)
I agree,I did send them a email last night with all my trailer info and see what they come up with.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

do you have adjustable air vents for the ducted ac? You can add the front ac and adjust the vents to get equal flow.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsleet View Post
do you have adjustable air vents for the ducted ac? You can add the front ac and adjust the vents to get equal flow.
Yes I do,my main unit is a 15k ducted unit.Jayco got back to me yesterday and my unit is prepped for 2nd AC but not a ducted unit.So I'm gonna put one in the bunk room where I really want it and have to figure out how to run electric to it

Old 03-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes I do,my main unit is a 15k ducted unit.Jayco got back to me yesterday and my unit is prepped for 2nd AC but not a ducted unit.So I'm gonna put one in the bunk room where I really want it and have to figure out how to run electric to it
Does the prep add provisions for the AC in either room or just the main bedroom? I would be more concerned about cutting into the roof trusses to install the ac.
CampinFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinFred View Post
Does the prep add provisions for the AC in either room or just the main bedroom? I would be more concerned about cutting into the roof trusses to install the ac.
The main bedroom has a standard outlet cover with a solid cover in the ceiling that has a sticker that says 2nd ac prep.no cutout or anything in the ceiling. From what I'm told there is a template you put up there and its framed out already just needs to be cut out. My bunkroom has a roof vent already which would accept a AC unit but there is no wiring,I would have to figure out how and where to run wiring to it

Old 03-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #15

This is what my front bedroom has as far as prep that I can see.supposedly the wiring is already up there cause there is a breaker for it in my panelClick image for larger version

Name:	20180629_175916.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	47497

Old 03-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #16

Do you have a vent from the first air that is in the front bedroom, if so is it in line with the next vent going back to the first air and are those in line where the ac prep is. If so you may be able to tap into those ducts to to make the 2nd air ducted. Or put is where the prep is and adjust your vents to get more air to the bunk area
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #17

I added a third AC to my Pinnacle in the front living area. It was a roof vent there , no wiring. I ran the wiring through ceiling to TV access and down through wiring access panel under slide out to a cabinet area and down through flooring to under belly. I installed a 30 amp plug on the side of camper. The campground we stay at has a 30/50 amp service together. There is no drain or pull on existing 50 amp service.
4tarheelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #18

I used to own a 2018 Jayco Eagle 324bhds. It also only came with one AC and second AC prep option. I installed the second AC unit in the front bedroom (it was non ducted) and that solved my problem for the warm bunk room as well as both AC units were able to keep the entire trailer much cooler. Hope this helps
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote