Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

I need commercial Insurance for our 2021 272RBOK

We are going to primarily use for personal, but for tax reasons, it is getting registered under the construction business name.

Occasionally I will use it as a job site trailer, and in order to have coverage, the carrier needs to approve this usage. Foremost, Progressive and others do not offer insurance for this dual use.

I got a quote from my commercial insurance agent, and there are two things I don't like about it.
  1. It is almost $1000 per year
  2. It not replacement cost value, only ACV. Not wild about fighting over the value of a used TT if a claim happens.

So give me some sage words of advice, and if you are in the same situation as myself, what did you do for insurance?

Steve
S&CMcKee1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #2

How likely will it be to have a break in on the job site. Or will it be parked in a regular Rv park while you commute to work? If it will not be on a job site than regular insurance.
Alternatively, Progressive allows me to put to sleep my liability coverage when not traveling and therefore save a lot. Our Boy Scout bus is commercially insured but we put that to sleep when not actually using it. If you can, get two policies, one for business, one for recreational use and flip as needed. Especially if business use is infrequent.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #3

If business uses infrequent I would just go with regular collision and comp on my auto policy. I've had three different carriers over the years and sure my travel trailer. None of them put liability on it because it was covered under the automobile. A motorhome of course would be different. Maybe I've misunderstood.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Perhaps a second opinion from another agent would churn up a creative solution, which in my case has been the cause of making major changes in a provider more than once. To me that's a prudent avenue to explore.

Just off the top of my head, a single use bonding for job site use might be a more economical, better coverage, no loss approach to using your own trailer from time to time.

If only an office at a job site, then consider a small office trailer rental. $200 per month is about average for a small one.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote