Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

In Ga, Winterize?

First time with my Eagle HT 264BHOK. I live in Sugar Hill GA just 40 miles north of downtown. RV pad next to house, plugged in as well. Is it really necessary to Winterize it? We most likely will take it out once more in Nov, maybe in Dec...basically once a month. Thoughts? We rarely get snow and if we do it’s for a couple days at most.
big50rvyeahbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #2

Snow is not the question, how cold does it there. Below 32 degree? If yes, you should be prepared.

Having couple jugs in the cargo hold or garage is safe insurance. Do you have an air compressor that can put out good volume of air? If so you could just blow the lines. Pour a little rv antifreeze down the traps.

Edit
I see your average low in January is 34 degrees. Your probably fine, but what note above would be wise. Might get a cold snap, for multiple days.

When we are using our tt, I do not mind it getting down to mid 20s, but we have the heat on. When it gets below freezing and it is sitting at home I tend to just blow out the lines. Maybe add some antifreeze to the traps.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by big50rvyeahbaby View Post
First time with my Eagle HT 264BHOK. I live in Sugar Hill GA just 40 miles north of downtown. RV pad next to house, plugged in as well. Is it really necessary to Winterize it? We most likely will take it out once more in Nov, maybe in Dec...basically once a month. Thoughts? We rarely get snow and if we do it’s for a couple days at most.
I’m not too far from you. While I store the RV away from home, when the season changes I’ll blow the lines clear and put AF in the traps. I also drain the fresh water tank, and keep the black and gray to a minimum, emptying them before I leave the last campsite. It doesn’t take too long to do, and I figure its easier than having to repair a leak. Down in GA it really doesn’t get too cold until the end of the year and into Jan/Feb. I plan on going out some time in Nov. for a few days so I won’t winterize until I get back.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #4

I live in Dallas, Ga an winterize between huntin trips every weekend when I know the temps will be in the 20's during the week but for sure after hunting season. Better to do it an not have to worry about it then to get nights in the 20's or teens an have to worry about it then. Blow the lines out an be done. It's worth the 5 minutes it takes
Old 10-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Using $6 worth of antifreeze it will take you 20 to 30 minutes. Why take any chance at all? No sleepless nights if you do have a dip
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

I live in Alabama, so kinda same situation. I keep a couple of gallons of antifreeze on hand and an eye on the weather. If it’s forecasted to drop much below freezing, I’ll go out and winterize it. Takes about 30 minutes, so no big deal. That’s the advantage of keeping it at home.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso2213 View Post
I live in Alabama, so kinda same situation. I keep a couple of gallons of antifreeze on hand and an eye on the weather. If it’s forecasted to drop much below freezing, I’ll go out and winterize it. Takes about 30 minutes, so no big deal. That’s the advantage of keeping it at home.

I show wish I can do that, keep my 5th wheel at home but I know that it's protected, I keep ours on post I'm a retired military so no worry but I would like to keep it next to my home.

I always winterized my fiver no matter what it's just a piece of mind.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #8

I live south of Atlanta and I had a insulated garage built summer 2019. I winterized last winter not knowing what to expect but temps outside below freezing several hours and temps inside low 40's. We camp just about year round so draining the tank, a quick blow out and protect the traps is what will be the routine between trips Dec-Feb. If things get close to freezing inside outside those dates heaters will be put into service.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I’m not too far from you. While I store the RV away from home, when the season changes I’ll blow the lines clear and put AF in the traps. I also drain the fresh water tank, and keep the black and gray to a minimum, emptying them before I leave the last campsite.
We live along the coast in GA. When we owned our Motorhome, we used it all winter long, but I'd always blow the water lines out and put AF down all the drains if we didn't plan to use it for a week or more. Even doing that, we did have to replace a p trap at the kitchen sink once. I could winterize the Motorhome myself in about 15 minutes.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #10

Alright, so looks like census is...yeah go ahead and do it-to be safe rather than sorry. Guess it sounds like big/complicated job but maybe not so much after reading your comments everyone. Keep AF in garage. When needed Drain, put in AF. If we take off with it in Dec or Jan just rinse all out. Camp, then upon return either leave heat on in it (it does electric or propane) OR re-winterize. Thanks everyone!
big50rvyeahbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Alright, so looks like census is...yeah go ahead and do it-to be safe rather than sorry. Guess it sounds like big/complicated job but maybe not so much after reading your comments everyone. Keep AF in garage. When needed Drain, put in AF. If we take off with it in Dec or Jan just rinse all out. Camp, then upon return either leave heat on in it (it does electric or propane) OR re-winterize. Thanks everyone!
The first time might be a little confusing/scary to make sure you get all the faucets. Personally while the weather is still warm. Do a trial run. You can try using an air compressor or a few water pitches of water (do not use RV antifreeze for the trial), maybe add a little food coloring to the water. Simulate what you might need to do on a cold night. Better to try when it is warm and your not rushed.

If you use a little food coloring when done, flush out the lines with some fresh water.

I use one of these with my air compressor https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:

Just to add... I normally use about 35 PSI from the compressor to blow the lines out. Don't switch from checking the tires to clearing the lines without adjusting !
Old 10-15-2020, 03:40 AM   #13

Don’t forget to run AF thru the toilet if you are running it thru the lines. A broken valve here is a real pain to repair.
RetiredUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #14

I live in the same area. I also blow out the lines with air, and AF in the drains, etc.

remember to open ALL the fixtures you have to blow them out, including the outdoor shower, outside kitchen sink (if you have any), toilets, etc. to get all the water out. dont forget the low point drain either.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterize in ga