Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #21

you could always make sure the insurance is up to date!

I reality, you really need to go up on the roof twice a year and check all the caulking. If you have had the TT for a number of years, you REALLY need to check it. Mine started to fail about 2 years ago. Last year, it felt like every time I checked the caulking I found a new area that started to crack. I got tired of touching it up, so this spring I applied eternabond over all the caulking.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #22

At least for the past several years, Jayco has used 3/8"
plywood, not osb, for their roofs. Also currently, Jayco says their roofs are fully walk-able. I would take them at their word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I just wished they'd use thicker plywood. Heck my 07 mobile scout / sunnybrook had 1/2" marine grade plywood on the roof. Those were built like tanks, just as jloco's solanta. I believe the jay flight is 3/8" osb. Mine has made a few cracking sounds.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #23

At the RV Shows, Jayco is always bragging about how strong their roofs are. Some dealers even had things on the roof trying to prove it. When we went to the races a couple years ago, there was a Jayco Eagle in the infield and 2 guys in lawn chairs with a cooler beside them on the roof. Not sure I'd go to that extreme but like others have noted, if it has a ladder leading to the roof, then that tells me it must be walkable. I have noticed that they do feel a little spongy but, I believe they're strong enough to hold an average person. Not sure how Jayco does their spacing of the trusses. I'm sure not 16 o.c. like a house. Probably more like 18-20" o.c. to save weight.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I got tired of touching it up, so this spring I applied eternabond over all the caulking.
Not to make you go up on the roof,lol!, but I'd love to see some pics of your eternabond sometime.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
At least for the past several years, Jayco has used 3/8"
plywood, not osb, for their roofs. Also currently, Jayco says their roofs are fully walk-able. I would take them at their word.
I stand corrected on that one. Yes, 3/8" plywood on the Jay Flight, not 3/8" OSB. Sorry. Either way it's 3/8", and doesn't withstand my big @ss as much as the 1/2" did.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Probably. The reality is that not all of them are. I know that Jayco Jayfeathers are certified walkable. But I will tell you that the front section of mine flexes a bit so I will not stand on it. Crawl yes.

My dad has a '77 Jayco. 21'. No idea what the model is. But his roof is very sturdy. No trouble walking on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
We brought our TT home on the 14th. I hadn't been on the roof yet and yesterday I decided I wanted to check it out. I have to tell you, it scared the crap out of me. I'm about 6'1" and 255lbs and this "Magnum truss roof" flexed waaaay more than my last trailer that was 10 years old. I know it was the plywood and not the trusses flexing but it was still unnerving. I will mostly likely end up making a carpeted 2x6 plank to distribute my weight onto multiple trusses. I went with Jayco because of all the praise and the 2 year warranty. I have to say so far, I am not impressed.
Yes to both. I am not impressed either with the flexing and crackling our roof makes. And yes, the vaunted "Magnum Truss" was part of my reasoning for choosing a Jayco. I weigh 225 also. The front about 4' from the cap is the worst. What can you really do? Just use caution and hope for the best.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
you could always make sure the insurance is up to date!

I reality, you really need to go up on the roof twice a year and check all the caulking. If you have had the TT for a number of years, you REALLY need to check it. Mine started to fail about 2 years ago. Last year, it felt like every time I checked the caulking I found a new area that started to crack. I got tired of touching it up, so this spring I applied eternabond over all the caulking.
I used 6" Eternabond across the front cap/roof seal. I did an okay job, not the best. I am going to do the rear wall/roof seam, fan, and refer vent next. I am debating the skylight. That thing is so cheap; I can see it failing soon, and I do not want to be up there removing Eternabond. That's the main drawback to the stuff - it's a bear if you have to remove it. I figure the new MaxxAir and refer vent ought to be good for a long while. I am also considering running a strip down the side wall/roof seams. Any thoughts about that?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote