Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #11

I never cared for the outside kitchen. I cook on a three burner campchef stove. The ouside stove is just a small 2 burner camp stove. My camp chef has a griddle that covers one burner and a grill box that covers the other 2, both are removable. I just find this works for us. The kitchen wouldn't be the reason we bought the trailer.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #12

DAve, I live in Mt. Joy, PA and we bought our first TT last year. We do not have an outdoor kitchen, but I will get one with our next TT. Having 3 kids, (oldest is 8), Those little people can track a lot of dirt into the TT. Having the outside fridge, and cupboard space would cut down on a lot of the mess inside, which would keep the DW a lot happier.
We did 7 trips like you are talking about last year. We had a blast and can"t wait til spring gets here so we can start again.
Andy

Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #13

We just throw an extra ice chest in the pickup. That sure comes in handy. I suspect if we were cooking all the high fat foods etc. that outdoor kitchen would be nice. We just have steak on the grill once in a while or if its high fat and eggs its over the campfire or off to a nice steak and eggs restaurant.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #14

I definitely like the outside kitchen for our camping style. We spend most time outside, and do not cook inside. It really became the party spot when I bought my wife the Margarita Maker. The counter space is great, and having the fridge and sink is great.

We have the J-cubes, so we have the two bunks and the sleeping space for the other two. The benefit of the J-cubes is that we actually slept 4 kids on it, and two more in bunks when there are extra.
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
. It really became the party spot when I bought my wife the Margarita Maker. .
(I wanta camp with them! LOL)
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #16

My wife and I love our outdoor kitchen. I wouldn't by another camper without it. It keeps traffic down from going in and out of the camper. ecspecially at night when we are trying to get the girls down for bed. it gives you so much more storgae and cooking options for everything. All campfire food goes outside. I have my own BEER fridge. The only time it is bad if you are camping with no electric. The outdoor fridge only works on electric. And you may not like it, if you camp with a bunch of people and don't want them hanging around your camper. Our first camper didn't have one. We have had this for 2 years now and love it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #17

We love the outdoor kitchen, for the same reasons as everyone mentioned here. Another thing to consider is that the refrigerator in the outdoor kitchen does not run on gas. It is electric, which means that it only works when you are plugged in to shore power. When your traveling the fridge is basically a large ice chest. Something to keep in mind if you travel in warmer climates. Absolutely love everything else about the outdoor kitchen though.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #18

In our inspection of the Jay Feather 29L outside kitchen, one thing that really bothers me about the design is the height of the door when it's open. When the kitchen door is opened up to its final resting position, my head is literally an inch or two from the door (I'm around 5' 8"). How can anyone taller than I even enjoy using the thing? I'm surprised they don't put longer shocks to allow it to swing up more than it does. At least for the type trailers I'm considering, short people certainly seem to have an advantage.
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #19

You have to remember that most of the time you will have some boards under your wheels when you are parked. That will raise your camper up off the ground.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
In our inspection of the Jay Feather 29L outside kitchen, one thing that really bothers me about the design is the height of the door when it's open. When the kitchen door is opened up to its final resting position, my head is literally an inch or two from the door (I'm around 5' 8"). How can anyone taller than I even enjoy using the thing? I'm surprised they don't put longer shocks to allow it to swing up more than it does. At least for the type trailers I'm considering, short people certainly seem to have an advantage.
We had the other issue last year. If you park on uneven sights, where the sight drops off at the back, it puts the counter too high.

Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote