Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #1

Jacking to change a tire on a 2021 whitehawk

Because we have a new TT I learn how to be prepared for what ever.

This TT is high and the tires have a space of 13.50" between them. Also Springs are over the axles. Manual wants to lift the trailer for changing a tire by raising up at the frame. That would mean lots of blocks for the jack to reach 'the frame and this doesn't make me very happy. Never had a tire problem on any vehicle and I am going on 80 but I would enjoy hearing what you fellas use.

chevman
Evman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevman View Post
Because we have a new TT I learn how to be prepared for what ever.

This TT is high and the tires have a space of 13.50" between them. Also Springs are over the axles. Manual wants to lift the trailer for changing a tire by raising up at the frame. That would mean lots of blocks for the jack to reach 'the frame and this doesn't make me very happy. Never had a tire problem on any vehicle and I am going on 80 but I would enjoy hearing what you fellas use.

chevman
Make a ramp out of four 2 x 8 boards. That will raise one wheel and axle 6 inches and the other will be suspended in the air. You can use the individual boards as needed to help level the trailer when camping. I slip in carriage bolts to "lock" them together.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Hi I had a 32 ft Fifth years ago and tried what you said and the wheel was raised up and the other wheel never left the ground. this was a test at home. The trailer aid product should work but some don't think so. In the Spring I will make something and see what happens. thanks for your reply. I just made stabilizers for front and back and wheel locks for both sides. Same as Jayco owners have shown. 20 years in an awesome alpenlite fifth wheel so we don't think of this TT as a down grade but a different style. We might not use it because of wife has serious health at times but can't use if ya don't have is my thinking. I am enjoying being on this forum. Rv'rs are very great people. chevman
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

I expect the space between the tires and the center equalizer may require a pretty tall ramp to get the adjacent tire off the ground, to the point it may be impractical. The frame may be the best option. I have an Anderson RapidJack and it isn’t tall enough but a layer of 2x4’s under it solves that problem. I also carry 2x4 cribbing to make a tower for my 20T bottle jack. Similar to the pic below (I was raising the 5th to install wet bolts).

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E58E0CA-6B8B-444B-B850-AA06CBC0BF4E.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	64860

I also carry a 4-way and long breaker bar for the lug nuts.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #5

Amazing you would ask this right now. We have a 23' Whitehawk. I used blocks to change the bearings, no problem. We just had a blowout along the freeway. I tried everything. I put blocks under the front wheel to raise the back, didn't work. I put blocks under the jack, did work. Either the jack was too short to raise the tire enough, or, when I lowered the TT I could not get the jack out. Finally had to call AAA to have them jack up the TT. I still don't understand the solution. (Yes, the parking lot was level).
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

can we copy and paste a picture on this forum? I will try to see what I can do? Fingers are crossed. chevman Wenatchee wa
Old 10-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

[QUOTE=travelingjw;908888]Amazing you would ask this right now. We have a 23' Whitehawk. I used blocks to change the bearings, no problem. We just had a blowout along the freeway. I tried everything. I put blocks under the front wheel to raise the back, didn't work. I put blocks under the jack, did work. Either the jack was too short to raise the tire enough, or, when I lowered the TT I could not get the jack out. Finally had to call AAA to have them jack up the TT. I still don't understand the solution. (Yes, the parking lot was level).[/QUOTE

Bottle jacks usually don't have enough throw(rise).
Get a good scissor jack, then some blocking and you shouldn't have a poblem. That's what I have.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #8

I have a scissors jack and think it is a 2 speed . I will have to look to see if a load rating is on it. some seem light duty. thanks chevman
Old 10-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #9

Mine is a two speed, it lifted my old 30 foot flagstaff.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #10

I saw my 2 sp scissor jack is a 4000 lb rating but it is really heavy. I think I will figure what height is needed to build a strong plywood square box and lift weight off the wheels and then use my bottle jack at the U bolts to finish. My guess the frame will need to go up a lot to get the tire off the ground. Of course on the road or in this case off the road the ground will be what it is. Thanks for the comments. Kind a snowed here yesterday so my ideas might be tried until Spring. 20 years we have been gone for the winter before now . chevman