Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #41
Site Team

It appears after two long threads on this the conclusions are:

Some Jayflight models do have heated air going to the underbelly via holes in the floor duct work, and some do not.

Some models do not even have floor duct work and therefore have no heated air entering the underbelly.

The brochures list some but not all models that do not have the heated underbelly. So omissions in the brochure/website have led to some owners being confused or disappointed in not having this option they believed they were getting. I might add omissions and mistakes are not uncommon in these websites therefore they add the disclaimer.

If my conclusions are incorrect or incomplete please chime in, I'm just trying to summarize what has been posted.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post

Some Jayflight models do have heated air going to the underbelly via holes in the floor duct work, and some do not.

Some models do not even have floor duct work and therefore have no heated air entering the underbelly.

The brochures list some but not all models that do not have the heated underbelly. So omissions in the brochure/website have led to some owners being confused or disappointed in not having this option they believed they were getting. I might add omissions and mistakes are not uncommon in these websites therefore they add the disclaimer.

If my conclusions are incorrect or incomplete please chime in, I'm just trying to summarize what has been posted.
Maybe so would Ford or GM be allowed such a luxury?The RV Industry seems allowed lots of free passes.These toys in many cases much more expensive than most cars are trucks.And yet no one in DC seems to notice!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Maybe so would Ford or GM be allowed such a luxury?The RV Industry seems allowed lots of free passes.These toys in many cases much more expensive than most cars are trucks.And yet no one in DC seems to notice!
Dilly Dilly !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I'm not giving any free passes just stating the facts as they have been presented in these threads. I'm sure I would not be happy either if upon further examination I did not have an option I believed I was getting.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #45

Good point, should have said that is free passes by the Federal Governing agency's!Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #46

We have to put this into perspective...the vast majority of RV's are not used in sub freezing temperatures and even with the few holes in the duct work, they are not suited for sub zero (or close to sub zero) weather. The walls are only 1 1/2" thick, unlike a home at 3 1/2". Floors ceilings etc are all much thinner than traditional homes, mostly because of weight limitations.

Even with a "heated underbelly" I would be most of the peeps using their RV in cold weather would still be unhappy. It's again different expectations and different interpretations of "standards".

I have had good luck down to about 25 degree, but even with a heated underbelly, things will freeze up much lower than that. And that's with daytime temps in the 40's. Get an extended period below freezing I doubt many Rv's would handle those temperatures well without outside assistance... IR tank heaters etc.

AS far as air circulating around the tanks potentially returning and being a health issue, I would doubt that. The tanks are sealed, and no waste is exposed to the outside of the tank, unless of damage. That would not be something high on my list of things to worry about. First it's a very small amount of air that could potentially return to the cabin, and, unless the tanks are damaged and leaking the air, while it may be dusty, I doubt would be unhealthy.

Do we really want more regulations on RV's ? Driving prices up while adding little to making them "better".

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post

I think that just about covers it ..... all i know is, the temps outside are dropping to single digits daily here in Ontario ..... this has to be the longest flippin winter ..... looking forward to spring into summer and the last thing i'm thinking about is heated underbelly! Bring on the A/C!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Also from the website:

"All information on this website is the latest available at the time of publication approval. Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation. Photos on the website may show optional equipment or props used for photography purposes. RVs built for sale in Canada may differ to conform to Canadian codes."
That's quite an escape clause! Hope Jayco doesn't find plumbing getting too expensive.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
That's quite an escape clause! Hope Jayco doesn't find plumbing getting too expensive.
What's funny is many people say GM or FORD would never get away with that. Well, right from CHEVROLET:

"IMPORTANT WORDS ABOUT THIS WEBSITE

We have tried to make this website comprehensive and factual. We reserve the right, however, to make changes at any time, without notice, in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, models and availability. Specifications, dimensions, measurements, ratings and other numbers on this website are approximates based upon design and engineering drawings, prototypes and laboratory tests. Your vehicle may differ due to variations in manufacture and equipment. Please check with your Chevrolet dealer for complete details."

The key is the last sentence and the same applies to RV's, but too many dealers don't properly check for the customer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #50

Grumpy, my comment was meant to bring a smile only. You are right and the lawyers have inserted similar CYA lines most everywhere. Haven't found one in my hymnal yet.
'14 Denali XL
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #51

I have foam particles falling from the A/C vents. Darn mice get everywhere. I am tempted to tear off my underbelly cover so I can better seal openings. My traps catch a couple almost every week. Holes in the heat duct would give them more areas to destroy. I don't know if I have them with my "thermal package".
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #52

I thought I found all the plumbing access holes in the floor of my Eagle RSTS.Found two more under the bath sink behind a boxed in cover to hide pec water lines!DW manages to drop her electric tooth brush through top hole LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Hole bath cab..jpg   Foamed.jpg   Floor bath cabinet.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Interesting stuff. Starting to seem like this is a common issue for Jayco TT's.

I just bought a new Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW that has the "Thermal Package" sticker and that I assumed had the insulated, heated, enclosed underbelly, foil in roof and slide as that package is described, and I failed to notice that the underbelly was not enclosed until I got it home - my bad . . . I contacted the dealer and have an appointment next week to have them check it out. But had the underbelly been enclosed, I would not have questioned it further, and probably would never notice if it was "insulated, heated . . ." since I plan to keep it winterized when/if I ever use it in the winter since it would only be for a few days at a time and I don't want to have to re-winterize it each time I use it in the winter, and so how would one ever discover that the underbelly was not receiving some heat from the furnace operation unless they experience tanks or water lines freezing under there? So, I guess we'll see what they do about the issue. The dealer's website has additional "details" for every one of the 267BHSW's they have in stock and all describe "enclosed underbelly" at the very least, and several describe "Insulated, heated, enclosed underbelly". I didn't find that out, however, until I discovered mine didn't and so can't see the specific on-line description for my particular unit anymore. Hard to believe mine would have been the only one of 15-20 same-model units to not have at least the enclosed underbelly. And how would you ever know if, for example, they left out the foil in the roof and slide? Probably not until you have a major roof or slide damage problem that you work on fixing yourself, I'm guessing.

Sorry for long-winded reply . . .
Update on my particular situation -- took the new rig back to the dealer this a.m., they took one look underneath and agreed it didn't have the thermal package, and they verified it did have the thermal package sticker. They initially said they would install the enclosed underbelly and insulation, which I agreed to, but then they called me back in (I was still in the store) and the manager was now involved and said they had decided to swap trailers with me in order to give me one with the thermal package already installed. A primary reason was because they would not have been able to give me the foil layer in the roof and slide which is part of the thermal package when installed during factory build. So, if all goes as planned right now, I pick up another whole new trailer here in a few days with issue solved. It even has a couple other upgrades I didn't have on the first one that I will not be paying for. The one question still at play in this thread is whether the underbelly is ducted or just relies on radiant heat from the floor ducting, which I'm not worried about. IOW, I'll be happy to just have the latter, and seeing how rodent incursion appears to be an issue with the former, I'm thinking the latter is better, on balance. At least for me.

Gotta say my experience thus far with this dealer is excellent, and I feel that I'm being treated very fairly. Would probably have felt a bit different if I had needed to actually use the first new rig right away, but this story is going well so far in my case.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #54

You have a good dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Update on my particular situation -- took the new rig back to the dealer this a.m., they took one look underneath and agreed it didn't have the thermal package, and they verified it did have the thermal package sticker. They initially said they would install the enclosed underbelly and insulation, which I agreed to, but then they called me back in (I was still in the store) and the manager was now involved and said they had decided to swap trailers with me in order to give me one with the thermal package already installed. A primary reason was because they would not have been able to give me the foil layer in the roof and slide which is part of the thermal package when installed during factory build. So, if all goes as planned right now, I pick up another whole new trailer here in a few days with issue solved. It even has a couple other upgrades I didn't have on the first one that I will not be paying for. The one question still at play in this thread is whether the underbelly is ducted or just relies on radiant heat from the floor ducting, which I'm not worried about. IOW, I'll be happy to just have the latter, and seeing how rodent incursion appears to be an issue with the former, I'm thinking the latter is better, on balance. At least for me.

Gotta say my experience thus far with this dealer is excellent, and I feel that I'm being treated very fairly. Would probably have felt a bit different if I had needed to actually use the first new rig right away, but this story is going well so far in my case.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
You have a good dealer.
Was about to say the same thing.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Look at the bright side ( which i tend to do with Jayco), no floor heating vents means no dropping something small on the floor and it rolls to the vent and down she go's! Vents always seem to be tiny screw magnets, and dust ball and sand magnets too!
Or pick up a pack of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Soares View Post
I have a 2016 26 BH. If your unit does not have floor vents, then your "thermal package" does not have a heated underbelly. For those of you who constantly defend Jayco on this forum, the 2016 brochures do not have any exclusions regarding the thermal package. I purchased this package expecting a heated underbelly, otherwise I would not have purchased it. After several conversations with "customer service", I finally had the opportunity to speak with the manager. She was helpful and finally admitted the error Jayco made and has offered to rectify this by having the dealer plumb the heat to the underbelly through the floor. Haven't decided what I want to do yet.
Scott......I understand your disappointment with Jayco. I too have owned Jayco for many years.
Since you confirmed this information with Jayco thier is no need to debate the issue anyone. My thought is. You wanted and expected the underbelly heated, you are not going to be happy with some person drilling holes in your floor to throw some heat down their. If it was me I would have to work something out with Jayco and get a model that meets your needs and not somebody throwing in some heat ducts into a floor that was not designed to have them in the first place. I wish you the best of luck correcting your problem

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snapper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
You have a good dealer.
I would say honest!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I would say honest!
Yup, looking like that so far. Still waiting to be called to go pick up the new one, however, so hopefully no glitches in play. Fingers crossed.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #60

Nice to hear of good dealerships now and then.
'14 Denali XL