Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #21

What happen during the PDI? When I got mine, I knew what I was getting and I made sure I check it and that it work.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #22

Interesting stuff. Starting to seem like this is a common issue for Jayco TT's.

I just bought a new Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW that has the "Thermal Package" sticker and that I assumed had the insulated, heated, enclosed underbelly, foil in roof and slide as that package is described, and I failed to notice that the underbelly was not enclosed until I got it home - my bad . . . I contacted the dealer and have an appointment next week to have them check it out. But had the underbelly been enclosed, I would not have questioned it further, and probably would never notice if it was "insulated, heated . . ." since I plan to keep it winterized when/if I ever use it in the winter since it would only be for a few days at a time and I don't want to have to re-winterize it each time I use it in the winter, and so how would one ever discover that the underbelly was not receiving some heat from the furnace operation unless they experience tanks or water lines freezing under there? So, I guess we'll see what they do about the issue. The dealer's website has additional "details" for every one of the 267BHSW's they have in stock and all describe "enclosed underbelly" at the very least, and several describe "Insulated, heated, enclosed underbelly". I didn't find that out, however, until I discovered mine didn't and so can't see the specific on-line description for my particular unit anymore. Hard to believe mine would have been the only one of 15-20 same-model units to not have at least the enclosed underbelly. And how would you ever know if, for example, they left out the foil in the roof and slide? Probably not until you have a major roof or slide damage problem that you work on fixing yourself, I'm guessing.

Sorry for long-winded reply . . .
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
The SLX does not offer the Thermal Package ..... i think someone at the factory stuck the sticker on the wrong RV, The underbelly is enclosed, but not the thermal protection
Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
Bought fourth Jayco TT, a 2017 23RB. Optioned as Elite Package. All literature indicated this unit has "Thermal Package". "Thermal Package" sticker on unit. Under belly covered, but no heated floors as indicated by Jayco and Dealer. Look online for yourself. Neither Jayco nor Dealer is willing to correct their mistake.
I am not a full timer, but I camp in the winter and am very disappointed in being sold and having paid for something that was misrepresented by the Manufacturer and Dealer.
Now I am literally out in the cold.
Call an attorney and speak to him about your options. You get some resolve.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snapper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #25

Lets get real. You can't heat the whole floor in an RV unless you buy some high end Class A DP thats got heated floors under the tile.
Whether Jayco or the dealer mislead or not comes down to common sense.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #26

Hey Scott, there seems to be a little confusion here. Are you saying that you did not get a heated and enclosed underbelly or actual heated floors (like you flip a switch and the floors themselves heat up?).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Hey Scott, there seems to be a little confusion here. Are you saying that you did not get a heated and enclosed underbelly or actual heated floors (like you flip a switch and the floors themselves heat up?).

THERMAL PACKAGE
Insulated, heated (except 21QB, 24RBS, & 26BH) & enclosed underbelly
Two-sided, reflective foil insulation in main roof and slideout floors

This is on the Jayco Website, the problem is, his model is not listed. The 18 is an improvement over the 17 model year, the 17 model year on their site listed no floorplans. The 3 (should be 4) models listed do not have floor vented heating systems. The heating systems in these models use the flexible tubing running inside cabinets, couches etc. But, they still do have all the other items provided in the Thermal Package. I have the 26BH, it has the Thermal Package Decal on the outside, it has the insulated underbelly, and i'm sure roof insulation, although i have no desire to cut a hole in the roof to find out, it just doesn't have the heater ducting running between floor and underbelly covering! One question, has anyone ever wondered what happens when you get temperature change between floor and insulation when you go hot cold hot cold..... do u ever get condensation? If so, where does the condensation go? Hmmmm!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #28

Sorry, didn't mean to enlarge the Red letters this large
Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
The SLX does not offer the Thermal Package ..... i think someone at the factory stuck the sticker on the wrong RV, The underbelly is enclosed, but not the thermal protection
The Western series (with the "W" at the end) has Thermal Package as an option.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...s-and-options/
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #30

Quote:
THERMAL PACKAGE

This is on the Jayco Website, the problem is, his model is not listed. The 18 is an improvement over the 17 model year, the 17 model year on their site listed no floorplans. The 3 (should be 4) models listed do not have floor vented heating systems. The heating systems in these models use the flexible tubing running inside cabinets, couches etc. But, they still do have all the other items provided in the Thermal Package. I have the 26BH, it has the Thermal Package Decal on the outside, it has the insulated underbelly, and i'm sure roof insulation, although i have no desire to cut a hole in the roof to find out, it just doesn't have the heater ducting running between floor and underbelly covering! One question, has anyone ever wondered what happens when you get temperature change between floor and insulation when you go hot cold hot cold..... do u ever get condensation? If so, where does the condensation go? Hmmmm!
Thanks Scott
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... The 3 (should be 4) models listed do not have floor vented heating systems. The heating systems in these models use the flexible tubing running inside cabinets, couches etc.!.......snip
Not necessarily true.....

I have a 2018 24RBS and have a ducted floor vented heating system....., four floor vents total (1-bedroom, 2-living, 1-bath). My furnace is also located under the sofa.

The following pic was taken from the front bedroom floor vent looking down the main heating duct toward the rear of the TT....., the side duct on the right comes from the bottom of the furnace:

The main duct (shown in pic) doesn't contain any openings to the underbelly or tanks. I haven't confirmed yet if there are any openings to the underbelly in the "side duct" located below the furnace.

I was originally under the impression that I would have a heated underbelly when I ordered my 24RBS based on Jayco's published 2017 24RBS model data at time of of my order..., 2018 24RBS website/literature wasn't available when I ordered my TT.

I contacted Jayco Customer Service after the 'contradicting' 2018 specifications was published and they still told me that I had a heated underbelly. I have yet to find any heat source, and honestly don't expect too.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #32

Part of the problem is, when we read something, such as heated underbelly, WE are thinking it's actually heat ducts going into the underbelly, while Jayco may call the uninsulated metal heat ducts, which will radiate heat to the underbelly, the heated underbelly. No one is wrong, but, neither is clear on expectations. I think now, we can agree, if you don't have heat vents in the floor, you will not have a heated underbelly. I believe we have several holes in our ducts which actually blows heat into the underbelly, but, without actually looking with a camera or something else I really don't know.

Maybe because we only purchase an RV rarely, we are not familiar with "industry" terminology, and, we know most sales people really are not the familiar with the workings of the rv either.

I guess we can right and wrong same as Jayco can be right and wrong. To them it's clear what they "mean" by certain industry terms...while we aren't and hence expect something different.

I'm not sure how you resolve this, other than, putting a wye in your heat line in one of the cabinets or under a couch and cutting a hole into the underbelly, thus, making it a heated underbelly. But knowing it's only moderately successful at keeping it warm when it gets below freezing. None of these units are really designed for zero degree temperatures for any length of time. If that is your need, then I would be prepared to do the installation of items that may make it better in really cold weather, IE tank heaters etc, myself.

And, perhaps Jayco could put a warning on it only being good to 30 degrees or whatever.

I hope you can have happy camping ahead and get this issue behind you.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 AM   #33

IN 2018, the 23RB was dropped from the higher scale Jay Flight line. It was dropped down to the SLX line in Jay Flights. That's why I presume it isn't listed in 2018.

Quote:
THERMAL PACKAGE

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:49 AM   #34

You must be careful about the W designation. It means something different in 2018 than it does in 2017 and earlier.

In previous years, the W designation within the SLX line signified the trailer was an 8 ft wide model rather than the 7 foot wide model. In 2018 Jayco again changed their designation numbers and letters.

In 2018, the SLX is either a SLX8 or a SLX7. In 2017, both were just SLX with a W (Wide) in the model number/letter combo to designate which was 8' and which was 7'.

It gets very confusing when Jayco will make changes like this without any fanfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
The Western series (with the "W" at the end) has Thermal Package as an option.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...s-and-options/

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
Bought fourth Jayco TT, a 2017 23RB. Optioned as Elite Package. All literature indicated this unit has "Thermal Package". "Thermal Package" sticker on unit. Under belly covered, but no heated floors as indicated by Jayco and Dealer. Look online for yourself. Neither Jayco nor Dealer is willing to correct their mistake.
I am not a full timer, but I camp in the winter and am very disappointed in being sold and having paid for something that was misrepresented by the Manufacturer and Dealer.
Now I am literally out in the cold.
I have a 2016 26 BH. If your unit does not have floor vents, then your "thermal package" does not have a heated underbelly. For those of you who constantly defend Jayco on this forum, the 2016 brochures do not have any exclusions regarding the thermal package. I purchased this package expecting a heated underbelly, otherwise I would not have purchased it. After several conversations with "customer service", I finally had the opportunity to speak with the manager. She was helpful and finally admitted the error Jayco made and has offered to rectify this by having the dealer plumb the heat to the underbelly through the floor. Haven't decided what I want to do yet.
Scott......I understand your disappointment with Jayco. I too have owned Jayco for many years.
Peter Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 AM   #36

If there were vents in the underbelly, would that not just be an invitation for rodents? I would think so!
Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Not necessarily true.....

I have a 2018 24RBS and have a ducted floor vented heating system....., four floor vents total (1-bedroom, 2-living, 1-bath). My furnace is also located under the sofa.

The following pic was taken from the front bedroom floor vent looking down the main heating duct toward the rear of the TT....., the side duct on the right comes from the bottom of the furnace:

The main duct (shown in pic) doesn't contain any openings to the underbelly or tanks. I haven't confirmed yet if there are any openings to the underbelly in the "side duct" located below the furnace.

I was originally under the impression that I would have a heated underbelly when I ordered my 24RBS based on Jayco's published 2017 24RBS model data at time of of my order..., 2018 24RBS website/literature wasn't available when I ordered my TT.

I contacted Jayco Customer Service after the 'contradicting' 2018 specifications was published and they still told me that I had a heated underbelly. I have yet to find any heat source, and honestly don't expect too.

Bob
So, than they screwed up on the floor plans listed. If you have in floor furnace ducting, you have the heated underbelly. Don't look for ducts between the floor and thermal panel .... see previous post!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #38

[QUOTE=wags999;606332] I think now, we can agree, if you don't have heat vents in the floor, you will not have a heated underbelly. I believe we have several holes in our ducts which actually blows heat into the underbelly, but, without actually looking with a camera or something else I really don't know.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Soares View Post
After several conversations with "customer service", I finally had the opportunity to speak with the manager. She was helpful and finally admitted the error Jayco made and has offered to rectify this by having the dealer plumb the heat to the underbelly through the floor. Haven't decided what I want to do yet.
Scott......I understand your disappointment with Jayco. I too have owned Jayco for many years.
The thought of heated cabin air being sent down into the underbelly does not sound right, Where does the 'return' air go - vented outside or worst back into the cabin? The thought of breathing in air that had passed by the black/grey tanks is unhealthy to say the least.

It would make more sense that the metal air ducts radiated the heat like a radiator.

Peter - do you know how the dealer would plumb the heat into the underbelly?
Macaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... Don't look for ducts between the floor and thermal panel .... see previous post!
Not looking for ducts (or vents)...., per my prior post I'm looking for openings. All Jayco does is punch a hole (approx 1 1/2" dia.) thru the main heating duct, insulation, then exposing the underbelly, that's exactly what they did on my prior 2005 Eagle TT. I put screens over the hole(s) to keep the mice out.

Refer to "wagss999"post #32, he's correct stating: "I believe we have several holes in our ducts which actually blows heat into the underbelly, but, without actually looking with a camera or something else I really don't know."

I used a mirror/flashlight to check the main heating duct.., no holes. Removed the slide motor access panel and there wasn't any signs of small openings coming from the sub floor insulation into the underbelly area (like my prior Eagle).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #40

FWIW I find the Jayco website 'specifications' section thoroughly aggravating. So many times the specs are wrong. Or the specs contradict the prior year for the same model trailer. I feel for some of you - you should be able to look up what the heck you're buying and feel reasonably confidant that you're getting what you've read.

Case in point: https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...te-hawk/24mbh/

29'+ long? REALLY?

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...te-hawk/24mbh/

27' 9" long. I'm not sure what to believe. So forget about even looking at the weights of these 2 I'd need to physically walk up to one and look at the yellow sticker for myself, and get a tape measure out and measure it myself. Just. Plain. Stupid.

C'mon - all this sticking up for Jayco in this instance is hogwash. I go buy a Honda Accord EX-L I expect it to have the features in it that the brochure says it has. I shouldn't need the brochure, then have to cross check w/ a call to corporate, and then a final verification that the car does in fact have the 7 speaker system by counting the speakers in the front and climbing into the backseat and counting the speakers on the rear deck.

Give me a break already !

/rant

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote