Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Jayco Solar Ready Connector/Controller

I have a 23MRB with a "solar plug" (SAE) built in. I purchased a 100 watt panel with a Controller (Renology).

The controller panel with the optional SAE connector plugs directly into the trailer. This means that the Controller, rather than being in series between the solar panel and the battery, will be connected directly to the battery.

Will the Controller still control the voltage input from the solar panel even though it is connected separately.

travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

I don't think it will work that way. If your are prewired for solar, the controller needs to be installed in the wall inside your RV. The wires In The wall are all capped off ready to hook up to the controller, having a panel plugged into the prewired plugs on the roof or near the ground don't go to the battery, they go to where the controller should be installed. There are normally two connections for your panels, on the roof and near the ground. Mine is in the pass through storage area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Thanks, after reading your reply I called Jayco direct. In the 2017 Whitehawk the solar plug is wired directly into the battery. Their position is that you must use a suitcase type set up where solar panel connects to controller which then connects to the Jayco plug.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

That makes total sense, the controller must be installed somewhere between the panels and the batteries to avoid overcharging the batteries. Glad you got it figured out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #5

Have you had a chance to use your new solar panel yet? If so, how well does it work? If you haven't, could you come back to this thread and report how well it works? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Thanks, after reading your reply I called Jayco direct. In the 2017 Whitehawk the solar plug is wired directly into the battery. Their position is that you must use a suitcase type set up where solar panel connects to controller which then connects to the Jayco plug.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Hope you got everything wired in properly! Let us know how the SOLAR is doing. Do you have a Digital Voltage Display to keep tract of the SOLAR/BATTERIES? Not sure if you have visited or joined our RVing with SOLAR social group, there is a lot of GREAT information there regarding SOLAR , batteries, installations. Stop by and join! The link is below.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Have you had a chance to use your new solar panel yet? If so, how well does it work? If you haven't, could you come back to this thread and report how well it works? Thanks.
I have a 120 watt Go Power folding suitcase solar panel, It has a 10 amp digital controller built in. In full sun, it will put out 6.7 amps and is more than adequate for our needs and keep the battery topped up. Still have my inverter generator for back up on those less than ideal days where solar isn't effective.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Hi,
We took the solar panel out on our last trip. We ran the battery down to "2/3" and then hooked up the panel. Within 10 minutes it had the battery back to full. This panel is 100 watts. We purchased it as we were using a 43 Watt panel that would "sustain" a charge but it would not actually increase the charge. Now we can run everything except our air-conditioner and microwave.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Does anyone know what the battery level lights in the camper refer to in terms of voltage of the battery? I'm assuming that 1/2 is not less than 10.1v for instance.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

I'll be trying new Thunderbolt 100w panels with controller (unknown voltage) for our Hummingbird this spring. First time to try solar. Any tips on how to understand "BULK - ABSORPTION - FLOAT charging?" Initially I assumed I could just plug the panels in and trickle as needed, but... what's this other stuff???

Tags
solar, solar controller