Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #1

JayCommand / BMPro Firmware Update "FAIL"

I know this is long. It was my response to Jayco after asking for assistance with a JayCommand firmware update failure (which leaves the app useless). I had eventually made the fix before they got back with me.
Hopefully it helps if someone has a same or similar problem.

"I got the trailer out and powered it up. I park it with the battery completely disconnected so it had a ‘fresh boot’. When I opened the phone app, iPhone, it connected via Bluetooth (this trailer has no WiFi and only a display panel, no Android tablet controller). I then got the message a firmware update was available. Since the update cannot be bypassed I selected update. It never appeared anything happened. The progress bar on the app never filled in at all. Eventually a second message came on saying the update had failed and to try again.

I went through several cycles of this as I searched internet for help. Disconnected all power and powered trailer back up, no change. Closed and opened app, powered down and turned phone back on, no change. Completely removed and reinstalled the app, no change. Unpaired and repaired phone to trailer, no change. I did most of these things more than once as I could not use the jacks like I wanted without the app. There is no alternate way of individually controlling jacks.

After having no luck with any troubleshooting method I found with internet searches, I submitted the Jayco support request. Later that day I thought of trying one more thing just on a hunch. I downloaded the Jaycommand app to my wife’s Android phone and paired it with the trailer. The update message appeared and it installed without issue. Both phones, iPhone and Android, then worked as expected.

The iPhone had been the only phone paired with trailer to this point. Previous firmware updates had installed without issue. The iPhone has current iOS and the latest version of app. Reception was good and I could ‘web surf’, but the firmware update would not progress.
Using the Android phone everything worked as expected just as it always had previously with the iPhone. Everything is working at the moment."

Cheers
2017 Silverado 1500 DC 5.3L 4x4 LT (sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 SLT CCSB 4x4 (gas)
E4 16/1.6 hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #2

Did Jayco give you any solutions? I am having this issue and no option to do what you did as we all have iphones. No android here.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

The initial reply from Jayco gave nothing more than to try what I call the obvious. Remove power from trailer, effectively rebooting JayCommand system. Restart app. Make sure connected to WiFi (which didn't even make sense to me since I have the mini-panel, not the tablet panel.)

I never got any additional instruction because the phone switch fixed me up before I had even received their first response.

Any friends?? It is a quick and easy app to download and pair if the Android would fix your issue like it did mine.

Good luck
2017 Silverado 1500 DC 5.3L 4x4 LT (sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 SLT CCSB 4x4 (gas)
E4 16/1.6 hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #4

I am having the same problem, been working with Jayco service dept. not having any luck, so far. They contact BMPro, then get back to me, but nothing has worked yet.
I don't have anything but I-Phones either.
mlmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

Hi. I was able to fix the issue by downloading the BMPro app to my sons iPhone. Doing this allowed me to successfully do the firmware update. If you can find someone who doesn’t have the app on their phone, try using their phone to do it and see if that works.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #6

I had the exact same issue.

I dug out an old Samsung and the firmware upgrade worked with no issues.

Once done my original iPhone worked.

Cheers
Ron
Scarbadoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:29 PM   #7

Same thing happened to me. I had to use a friends Android phone to perform the update.
JuniperMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #8

Just curious, has anyone with the issue tried to delete the App from your phone and then reload it? That should download the most up to date version. I've done that for other Apps that were having an issue updating automatically.
USCcruisecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmath View Post
I am having the same problem, been working with Jayco service dept. not having any luck, so far. They contact BMPro, then get back to me, but nothing has worked yet.
I don't have anything but I-Phones either.
Curious if BMPro ever came back with a solution when you contacted them/Jayco.

I am having the same issue as the OP, and don't have an android handy ... would sure like a root cause on why up to date iPhone with up to date app errors out trying to update the BMPro Jaycommand firmware.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCcruisecrazy View Post
Just curious, has anyone with the issue tried to delete the App from your phone and then reload it? That should download the most up to date version. I've done that for other Apps that were having an issue updating automatically.
If you read the OP, deleting and re-installing the app has no effect.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #11

this has come up before...use another phone or device to push the update to the node when this happens.

If you update the Jaycommand app on the RV table, it should also push the update to the node.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
this has come up before...use another phone or device to push the update to the node when this happens.

If you update the Jaycommand app on the RV table, it should also push the update to the node.
Not sure if you are responding to me, however:

1) "use another phone" is an incomplete answer. all of my family's iPhones, of various OS levels, fail with the same error condition.
2) use an android, which indeed has been mentioned before, is a solution that falls somewhere between "useless and unhelpful". It is not a convenient option for me for example.
3) I am not aware of a way to update the firmware from the Jaycommand panel pad. Bear in mind, there are TWO versions of the command pad, and this thread is referring to the smaller, non android based pad, not the Android touch screen based pad. In very general terms, the Eagles probably have the smaller pad, while a Pinnacle would have the larger tablet based pad.

It is obvious that one of the newer app updates does not play well with more recent iPhone OS levels. This is the problem BMPro needs to address, so I was curious if the poster that contacted them about it ever heard back.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #13

I had something like this happen to me once before. What I ended up doing was totally disconnected all power sources for about 30min.. i.e. no shore power, disconnect batteries (at the battery, not the disconnect switch as JayCommand bypasses this) and make sure its not connected to any TV (if that is used in your case).

Once it fully rebooted it allowed for the update to proceed. No need for any additional phone etc.. it worked off my phone.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I had something like this happen to me once before. What I ended up doing was totally disconnected all power sources for about 30min.. i.e. no shore power, disconnect batteries (at the battery, not the disconnect switch as JayCommand bypasses this) and make sure its not connected to any TV (if that is used in your case).

Once it fully rebooted it allowed for the update to proceed. No need for any additional phone etc.. it worked off my phone.
As explained in the OP and several follow ups, disconnecting power does not resolve it. That is the answer both Jayco and BMPro give, and of course the whole point of this thread is that it does not work.

Quite literally the only way to resolve this (at this time) is to use an android / older device, install the app, pair the device, run the firmware upgrade, and then reconnect the original iPhone.

I was able to confirm this over the weekend. Too bad BMPro and Jayco don't understand there is clearly an operability issue with the newest app version for iOS and certain firmware versions.