Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

Just ordered a 2019 27BH - Need Expedition-4th gen towing advice?

Hi -

First I want to say thank you to all the great content and advice provided in this forum.

I just put a deposit on a 27BH which is exciting and now it is time to upgrade my towing vehicle. We have a strong preference to stay with an SUV and am thinking about a 2018 Expedition MAX XLT.

Using pure published numbers, I should be within a safe range with this combination. Unfortunately I can not rely on CAT scales because I have neither the trailer nor the vehicle in my possession.

Anyone have real-world real world experience towing with an Expedition (4th gen) and a similar trailer? Any experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Numbers:
Ford Expedition Max
Max tow rating: 9,000 lbs

2019 Jayco 27BH
UVW: 6015
GVWR: 7500 * I suspect my real world GVWR will be 7,000
buckslivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckslivin View Post
Hi -

First I want to say thank you to all the great content and advice provided in this forum.

I just put a deposit on a 27BH which is exciting and now it is time to upgrade my towing vehicle. We have a strong preference to stay with an SUV and am thinking about a 2018 Expedition MAX XLT.

Using pure published numbers, I should be within a safe range with this combination. Unfortunately I can not rely on CAT scales because I have neither the trailer nor the vehicle in my possession.

Anyone have real-world real world experience towing with an Expedition (4th gen) and a similar trailer? Any experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Numbers:
Ford Expedition Max
Max tow rating: 9,000 lbs

2019 Jayco 27BH
UVW: 6015
GVWR: 7500 * I suspect my real world GVWR will be 7,000
Congrats! Need an idea of the payload capacity of the Expedition.

Are you going to Fretz?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

As BJR said watch the payload, looks like its 1750 lbs. for that Expedition. So a 7000# trailer could have a tongue weight of about 1000# leaving you 750# for the hitch and everything else you put inside, should work if you dont pack to heavy
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

Need to get a 3/4 T SUV. Too much for a 1/2T chassis
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

I have a 2016 Jayflight BHS. Just noticed your numbers are a little different than mine. Especially with CCC
Mine has a slide - does yours (hence the bhS...S = slide)
My dry weight is 6,065 lbs. but I have a CCC of 2,185 lbs with a Gross weight of 8,250 lbs. Is yours an SLX?
Just wondering why so much difference as I tend to load mine pretty heavy?
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #6

It does have a slide. Just to clarify...the new 27BH is a JayFeather so probably the most logical reason for the lower weight limits.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

Yes, plan on buying from Fretz. Unfortunately we weren't able to align on numbers today so am in a holding pattern for a day.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #8

We are on our fourth Expedition. Latest is 3rd generation but the primary difference in the fourth generation is a little lighter body and a totally different engine transmission combination.

I would want a 3/4 ton pickup to pull that trailer. While the Expedition will handle the weight and still give you a little bit of safety margin, that all goes away if you have a large family and load up the SUV itself.

While a rose is a rose is a rose, a load is not necessarily a load. I have no qualms about pulling five or six thousand pounds on a flatbed with a total height about the height of my vehicle, but I'm not putting another five foot of sail behind me and use that same tow vehicle.

Can it? Yes. Should it???
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

I tow a 2018 27rl Jay Feather Max GVW 7,000 with a 2017 Expedition with max tow package and #9200 capacity. The problem comes in when you figure your stuff in the truck and the tongue weight. Max tongue weight is #920 lbs per Ford. Scale weighed ready to travel without water and full propane is #6400. Tongue weight with a scale is 900 lbs which gives around 13% going down the road. I use a E2 hitch with 10K bars and when new changed the P rated car tires for Michelin LTX load range E for the extra capacity. When towing I pump up the tires to 50psi rear and 40psi front. I moved the spare from the back bumper to just under the front with a BAL tire carrier to shift the weight forward. I tow with only a few gallons onboard of water and the Ford 3.5 has tons of power and can pull in 6th gear on tow/haul on the flats. mpg when towing depends on which way the wind is blowing. Headwind down to 8mpg, tailwind sometimes gets 11 mpg for many miles. When not pulling, I drop the tires back to the listed 37psi and the ride is acceptable. I live in OK and have no mountains but lots of wind. You can do it is you keep your Expy load light. I travel with 2 people and in the back I have some basic tools and 2 folding chairs. Carrying capacity is the limiting factor, not max GVW. The closer you get to 13% to 15% the more stable everything becomes. I feel the trailer and at 65 mph trucks go by without upsetting the balance of the trailer. NO WHITE NUCKLES here.
CharlesOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

We have a 2008 Expedition 5.4L and a Jayflight 267bhsw. We towed the camper to a local campground a couple times before I bought a 2010 F-150 5.4L. The Expedition had the power but I feel more comfortable with the F150. I have a really weak stomach and the F150 seems to move less while towing. I think it's due to the Expedition having independent rear suspension but I don't know enough about that to be certain.

You're within limits and should be fine. My stomach just feels better with the solid axle.. I think.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote