Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Leaky faucet help

I replaced the factory plastic vanity faucet with a metal faucet from Home Depot. One of the supply lines at the faucet will not stop leaking. How much pressure should I have to put on a plastic fitting? Is the use of a basin wrench overkill? Looks like these fittings uses a seal deep inside of it so thread tape may not work. Ideas?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

I did the same thing a few years ago and I can't remember whether it had the "cup" seal in it or not. I imagine it did. You may have to replace that inner cup seal as they become deformed sometimes. Should be available at hardware stores. I was told [on this forum] to hand tighten only but I gave it an extra 1/2 turn with a pair of pliers and no leaks in 3 years so far.

Edit: No tape or dope on mine.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #3

There does not appear to be a gasket or seal in the swivel elbow. The elbow has a flat face that mates with stem of the faucet. I’ll have to buy PEX a crimper and replace the connector (if I can find one) or call a tech to the CG. DW isn’t happy we don’t have water.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I replaced the factory plastic vanity faucet with a metal faucet from Home Depot. One of the supply lines at the faucet will not stop leaking. How much pressure should I have to put on a plastic fitting? Is the use of a basin wrench overkill? Looks like these fittings uses a seal deep inside of it so thread tape may not work. Ideas?

Return supply line and pick up a new one. Sometimes they leak even though it’s new.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post

Also you might want to get some shark bite shut off valves while you are doing it.
They are around $10.00 each, but then you would at least have water you can shut off at sink.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Return supply line and pick up a new one. Sometimes they leak even though it’s new.
The supply lines are all PEX crimped, even the fittings so they are not easily replaced like a home supply line.

I have significantly slowed the drip down by rolling up some thread tape lengthwise and shoving it down in the female connector.

I will go find the PEX to pipe thread Shark Bites then use conventional supply lines with shut off valves when time permits.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

All you have to do is cut the pex and slide the SHARK bite fitting on.

They just push on..........

I used them before I bought the pex tool. They do not leak, they are still there.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

You may have lost the sealing washer when you took the fitting off the old faucet. The routinely stick to the plastic and pull out of the fitting. Turn off the water and remove both connectors from the new faucet and inspect the inside of the fitting. Most likely the leaky one is missing a rubber washer.

Over tightening plastic fittings usually results in a cracked fitting.