Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: KENOSHA
Posts: 104
Line Frequency High definition and prevention

I can't find any comprehensible definition online of "line frequency high," which is the warning I got recently on my Progressive Industries PT30C surge device. Can someone give a clear, understandable meaning for the phrase and suggest what I can do to avoid this error? Thanks in advance.
__________________

John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,080
AC power ('line' power from the US grid) is usually at a frequency of 60 cycles per second (60 hertz). Your PT30C message says it measures a frequency greater than that.

Unless the power to your PT30C is from your generator, there is nothing you can do about it.
__________________

__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cimarron
Posts: 73
Frequency is a component of power generation versus demand. If there was a large load (like a good size city) and all feeds into that city were lost, then the frequency would momentarily increase. As soon as the generators sense this they will back off power production. I am a transmission system operator and we monitor frequency closely. Frequency should return quickly to acceptable levels.
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
hoppers4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Port Orchard
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Frequency is a component of power generation versus demand. If there was a large load (like a good size city) and all feeds into that city were lost, then the frequency would momentarily increase. As soon as the generators sense this they will back off power production. I am a transmission system operator and we monitor frequency closely. Frequency should return quickly to acceptable levels.
Great information! Thanks for the heads up. I always rather assumed that frequency was never a problem in this country but your explanation makes perfect sense. If the generators lost such a large load all at once then it could take a bit for them to get back to the proper speed. Makes perfect sense.
__________________
Don
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cimarron
Posts: 73
"Normally" you will see low frequency more than high. The exact opposite happens when a large portion of generation is lost...Frequency goes down.....along with voltage.
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: KENOSHA
Posts: 104
I have a follow-up question on this topic. As stated, my surge device showed a warning for "line frequency high." Power dropped out then resumed. It happened a second time within 24 hours, then power resumed again with no problem. What likely would have happened if there were a line frequency high and there had been NO Progressive Industries PT30C surge device between the electrical pedestal and my Jayco travel trailer? Thanks in advance, John K.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nashville
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
I have a follow-up question on this topic. As stated, my surge device showed a warning for "line frequency high." Power dropped out then resumed. It happened a second time within 24 hours, then power resumed again with no problem. What likely would have happened if there were a line frequency high and there had been NO Progressive Industries PT30C surge device between the electrical pedestal and my Jayco travel trailer? Thanks in advance, John K.

Nothing. There were likely thousands of houses on the same grid at the time you had the frequency alarm and all survived just fine. Electric clocks may have gained a couple of milliseconds but absent a very high frequency deviation for a significant length of time you would never notice a frequency variation.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cimarron
Posts: 73
Frequency can damage sensitive equipment that utilized a timing function. It can also damage generation equipment
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nashville
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Frequency can damage sensitive equipment that utilized a timing function. It can also damage generation equipment
I doubt you'll find a lot of that in most Jayco travel trailers.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cimarron
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I doubt you'll find a lot of that in most Jayco travel trailers.
I agree!!
__________________

snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.