Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #11

Something I never thought about - will a dealer let you take a towable on a test drive?
RV and Car dealers let you take cars and trucks on test drives right?
So would an RV Dealer let you hitch up a trailer and try towing it? I know the time required to set up a used hitch on a vehicle might be a problem.
I think a bigger problem would be if the dealers insurance would cover a test drive :-).

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #12

Kantonburg,

We pull a White Hawk 20MRB with a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.6. There are differences between our tow vehicles such as the tranny, 4 speed vs. 6 speed. The 20MRB gross is 5900. Currently, it is about 5600 loaded. The Sport Trac has ample power but what concerns me with your TV is the F150 weighs more than the Sport Trac and my GCVW is 500 pounds more than yours.

I think you can haul thr 23MB but it won't be a fast pull up hills.

Real life experience as we are currently freezing here in Arizona at 5600 feet. The trip yesterday was uphill with a good headwind most of the day and at the Continental Divide is was over 7000 feet. Only dropped it to third gear a few times and crawled at 40 mph.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Kantonburg,

We pull a White Hawk 20MRB with a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.6. There are differences between our tow vehicles such as the tranny, 4 speed vs. 6 speed. The 20MRB gross is 5900. Currently, it is about 5600 loaded. The Sport Trac has ample power but what concerns me with your TV is the F150 weighs more than the Sport Trac and my GCVW is 500 pounds more than yours.

I think you can haul thr 23MB but it won't be a fast pull up hills.

Real life experience as we are currently freezing here in Arizona at 5600 feet. The trip yesterday was uphill with a good headwind most of the day and at the Continental Divide is was over 7000 feet. Only dropped it to third gear a few times and crawled at 40 mph.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Murff
Appreciate it. I won't have nearly the climb you have. Sure I live in the Shenandoah Valley, but the interstate here isn't bad. The local KOA we like to stay is over the mountain, but I can get there in 45 minutes.
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #14

Think you'll find that while your truck will pull it, you probably won't have an ideal towing experience. Expect to go pretty slow uphills. You'll also have a harder time trying to slow your rig going down hills as the weight of the trailer will push you around.

You can help your truck out a bit by adding an auxiliary transmission cooler and making sure your brakes are in good shape. Looking at the gearing in the diff. should help out as well.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
That opinion is based on past experience with a 99 expedition with 4.6 engine a 3.55 gears, towing a pup that had a dry weight about 2400 lbs.
Thanks for your advice in the other thread (different TT). Just gathering experiences from others. Since you had a similar setup I currently have what experience did you have pulling your pup? Or are you referring to when you went to a TT you realized you needed something larger?

Thanks again

kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote