Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Low air flow from A/C

We just took delivery on our 2019 338RETS and basically love it...But as we expected it came with warranty issues right out of the box! Mostly minor cosmetic things. But we did discover a leak in one of the windows as I was giving it a simulated thunderstorm from the rooftop!
The BIG problem was the lack of air flow from the livingroom ac vents. It was a huge disappointment because we had specifically ordered two Coleman 15k ac units since we live in AZ. There was some hemming and hawing about it being “whisper quiet “ at least but no real acknowledgement that it wasn’t working right. So thanks to the info I found on this site and the specs on the Coleman (like 325 cu ft per min) and the bragging Jayco does about its Helix duct system I was able to get the service folks to troubleshoot the system. Turns out that our system had a baffle put in wrong too and it was almost totally blocking the whole system air flow! Thankfully the tech had seen this problem before and was able to trace it down. Turns out the baffle problem was in the bedroom ac area which is only partly ducted so he had access to the bottom of the ac unit. The dealer was great about it once that was discovered and is putting in for a warranty fix from Jayco.
The main takeaway from this is: Don’t risk losing your warranty coverage by doing a self fix with the tape and foam trick or something else until you make them be sure that you don’t have a structural problem that Jayco didn’t catch before delivery.
We are hopeful that we will get it back all ready to roll!
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

It is very common that the diverter there right under the ac flops over and blocks the air flow. It happens a lot its crazy and such an easy installation fix that Jayco could correct themselves if they would take the time. I am glad to hear your dealer was able to get you take care of!
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

Our 2018 242BHSW has had poor airflow from day 1. We took it back for warranty work and they said they fixed the vents but when I picked it up it was no different. I told them to keep it and figure it out. Picked it up a week later and little to no difference.

The odd thing on my system is that the vent thats the farthest away has the best flow in the trailer so I know something is working. At this point I think I'm going to have to get a snake camera and look inside each vent to see what's up
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpawlee View Post
The main takeaway from this is: Don’t risk losing your warranty coverage by doing a self fix with the tape and foam trick or something else until you make them be sure that you don’t have a structural problem that Jayco didn’t catch before delivery.
We are hopeful that we will get it back all ready to roll!
Did they tape it? When I fixed mine for the first time it worked for a day until it flopped over again.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
Did they tape it? When I fixed mine for the first time it worked for a day until it flopped over again.
OMG! The tech just put in the system for warranty repair. He is asking Jayco for 8 hours. Says he has fixed these before and he did mention tape. I am taking him a half case of his favorite beer as a personal thank you. Maybe he will show me the fix before he buttons it up. Thnx for the heads up. More later.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpawlee View Post
OMG! The tech just put in the system for warranty repair. He is asking Jayco for 8 hours. Says he has fixed these before and he did mention tape. I am taking him a half case of his favorite beer as a personal thank you. Maybe he will show me the fix before he buttons it up. Thnx for the heads up. More later.
To clarify, I was camping the first time I 'fixed' it without tape. When I got home I taped it and it's been fine since. The tape comes off easily if you want to remove it so it cam be r/r if any other work ever needs to be done.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
Our 2018 242BHSW has had poor airflow from day 1. We took it back for warranty work and they said they fixed the vents but when I picked it up it was no different. I told them to keep it and figure it out. Picked it up a week later and little to no difference.

The odd thing on my system is that the vent thats the farthest away has the best flow in the trailer so I know something is working. At this point I think I'm going to have to get a snake camera and look inside each vent to see what's up
That stinks! Maybe you need a new dealer. They can find it and fix it if they know what they are doing. My friend here in our park has a mobile tech to fix his Jayco warranty problems and he just has to pay for the service call. Personally I prefer the mobile techs cause you deal directly with the guy doing the work and you get to pick their brain about the problem and the fix. They also want the customer to be happy cause word travels fast in rv world!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post

Because the distant vent has good air flow, it's likely it's the individual ceiling vents are the problem. An easy thing to try would be to remove the ceiling vents with poor air flow and then see if air air flow improves at those locations. It's possible the plastic 'collars' they use are too long and restrict the flow.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #9

I just picked up my 2019 330rsts as well. Similar issue...the vent right when you walk in the door blows good, the rest just barely piddle out. I also noticed ceiling condensation right under where the AC is mounted. Any suggestions
Kurtomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Because the distant vent has good air flow, it's likely it's the individual ceiling vents are the problem. An easy thing to try would be to remove the ceiling vents with poor air flow and then see if air air flow improves at those locations. It's possible the plastic 'collars' they use are too long and restrict the flow.
Hummmmm good thought. I have an inspection camera coming today and I'm going to poke it in each vent and run it around and see. I'll take some pics and post my findings.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtomac View Post
I just picked up my 2019 330rsts as well. Similar issue...the vent right when you walk in the door blows good, the rest just barely piddle out. I also noticed ceiling condensation right under where the AC is mounted. Any suggestions
I took a case of Coors to my new tech friend yesterday and he explained that checking the BR ac is easy cause you can access the cover directly. Checking the LR ac unit requires removing the ceiling panel and that it breaks sometimes in the process.
JAYCO: ARE YOU LISTENING?!!

Tags
air conditioner, blocked air ducts, low volume air flow