Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
DMB

low voltage roof top ac unit

I have a Jayco travel trailer and I am on a seasonal campsite in PA. I have tried running my ac but my power protector says I am getting low voltage and it shut the power off. I know you can't run AC below 104 volts. Just curious the owner is checking things out on his end but is there a possibly my AC unit is working properly. It's a 2018 Jayco Jayflight 26bh. If the owner doesn't find anything wrong does anyone have an idea why this is happening. Only happens when I run the AC. Thanks
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I have a Jayco travel trailer and I am on a seasonal campsite in PA. I have tried running my ac but my power protector says I am getting low voltage and it shut the power off. I know you can't run AC below 104 volts. Just curious the owner is checking things out on his end but is there a possibly my AC unit is working properly. It's a 2018 Jayco Jayflight 26bh. If the owner doesn't find anything wrong does anyone have an idea why this is happening. Only happens when I run the AC. Thanks
Do not run your A/C below 108 volts. You will burn out the compressor. Measure the park voltage yourself. Do not relay on the owner. If below 115 volts get a Hughes Autoformer. If your owner says you can not use it. Move to a different park.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Ditto Cavie. If the campsite is regularly running low voltage get an autoformer to correct the issue.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #4

I agree dont rely on the property owner to test accurately. What kind of power protector do you have? Does it show what your getting? The Progressive Industries EMS will tell u...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
DMB

Low Voltage AC

yes I have The Progressive Industries EMS. The owner is checking into it. I was just asking the question because I though maybe the ac unit was working properly
Old 07-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #6

You said you were getting low voltage but didn’t say what voltage you were getting. Your A/C won’t cause your EMS to show low voltage, because the EMS measures what’s coming in... it also shows amp draw. I would think a problem with your A/C may show a high amp draw on the EMS but I’ll let the electrical experts confirm...

Without more info I would not suspect your A/C to be the problem.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
DMB

I have gotten has high as 118 volts before the AC is turn on and once it is turn on I have seen it go as low as 103. I do believe it's the campground wiring. Funny none of the other people camping there have said anything to the owner. I also feel because the campground's wiring is old and with newer RV's coming out that effects his voltage output. He said he was going to switch me to another spot on his electric board where he feels there are not a lot of people using electric in that section. I am away from my site now and won't know if the problem has ben resolved until this weekend. Will let you all know. Amps were around 11amps when I turn the AC on, Only thing running was the refrig.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
Site Team

From here it sounds like a power distribution problem in the CG.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Your A/C won’t cause your EMS to show low voltage, because the EMS measures what’s coming in...
That is very incorrect information.

The load of the A/C is causing a voltage drop, of which the EMS will most certainly see. The voltage drop goes all the way back to the pedestal, and beyond. There is either a connection issue or an overloaded system which needs upgrading.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #10

If you don't have one get a simple AC voltage tester. It is a little lcd screen tester that plugs into the AC outlet and displays your voltage.

I would (if you can) run my AC off your neighbors pole and see what happens. Also, inspect the outlet for your plug in. Is it corroded, rusted, cracked, etc.?? If you safe to do it pull the face off the box and look at the connections. Loose, corroded, etc.? If no one else in the park is having problems and you are not the last on a long string of poles your box may need work. Or you may need them to bury a bigger cable to your box.
Stay safe while you do any of this.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote